Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Strange EXIF orientation data issue?

Please have a look at this

Does current ACDSEE have this bug fixed? ACDSee Forums

I have been trying to chase down a bug in the ACDSEE photo viewer, whereby if one applies a 90 degree rotation to an image (taken with the camera in a portrait orientation) then most other photo apps refuse to see the orientation and present the image as it was originally, without the rotation.

Photoshop 7 would accept the ACDSEE rotation but Photoshop CS3 disregards it. This doesn't matter when editing a photo (because I just rotate it in CS3) but if using the Photoshop (or any other) automatic web photo gallery function I have to manually rotate each portrait image which takes time.

ACDSEE now appear to be claiming there is something wrong with the Pentax camera, writing a supposedly nonstandard "left lower" (or "lower left" as he puts it) orientation into the EXIF data.

Unfortunately I have many thousands of images, many of which have been rotated in ACDSEE. This is not an issue so long as I always stick with ACDSEE...

10-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As an update, what I seem to have established is that a camera held the 'normal' way up should write an 'upper left' EXIF orientation tag, and also any image editor is supposed to rewrite the EXIF orientation tag to 'upper left' to indicate that the final edited image is now the correct way up.

Pretty obvious really!

The older versions (at least) of ACDSEE failed to rewrite the tag so any images which were rotated with them will have the original rotation in them, which results in a different and more modern image viewer displaying the rotation incorrectly.

It seems that most image viewers use the EXIF orientation tag to override the Jpeg rotation tag.

I have no idea if later versions of ACDSEE fix this.

I've got 52GB of images, including many rotated by ACDSEE v5, and I am considering paying somebody to write a little utility which goes through them, and any whose EXIF orientation tag is not 'upper left' will be rewritten to 'upper left'.
10-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I should think you should be able to use:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey
10-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That looks an amazing tool - many thanks. Does subdirectories too. Unfortunately, to ask him whether it can do this, I need to create a registration on yet another forum ...

10-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
That looks an amazing tool - many thanks. Does subdirectories too. Unfortunately, to ask him whether it can do this, I need to create a registration on yet another forum ...
Yes accidentally started using it when I began using GeoSetter.
You can never be the member of too many forums, if for nothing else for those days when you're unwell and flat on your back.
10-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I seem to have found an interesting bug in my version of ACDSEE, whereby if the camera image x,y pixel counts are wholly divisible by 16, the program ignores the lossy/lossless Jpeg image rotation selection, always does the lossless rotation, and always fails to fix-up the EXIF orientation tag to 'upper left' afterwards (which one should always do after a rotation or any other editing).

This confuses the he** out of all other apps used to view or process the image afterwards e.g. FastStone, Photoshop CS3, etc. These programs ignore the ACDSEE rotation and display the image un-rotated. This is no big deal in Photoshop of course if just editing a single image but it is a big deal if you are using the Photoshop Web Photo Gallery automation feature and are batch processing a few hundred pics Old Photoshop 7 was OK because it ignored the EXIF data but did implement the Jpeg lossless rotation. So as an interim measure I use PS7 to generate the photo galleries... Bizzarely no version of PS I have used has any config for whether to implement EXIF orientation on the image being opened.

I discovered this by accident by finding that Iphone 4 images got rotated correctly, with the ACDSEE lossy/lossless option working correctly, but Pentax K200D and Canon S90 images not being done correctly. The last two have x/y counts divisible by 16 but on the Iphone one of the two axes isn't.

I would be interested to see if a later version of ACDSEE fixes this but at the same time I don't want to upgrade to a piece of bloatware...