Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #1

K100D Super memory card speed

Hi

I've been lurking for quite a while, time to move out

I think I've seen someone here mention that Super is limited to maximum 66x speed cards. Is this correct? The salesman from whom I bought mine said it is supposed to support some 133x cards.

What is the highest speed card for it?

09-10-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Antitrust Quote
Hi

I think I've seen someone here mention that Super is limited to maximum 66x speed cards. Is this correct? The salesman from whom I bought mine said it is supposed to support some 133x cards.

Having the assumption that the K100D is equivalent to the K100D Super in the read/write speeds of the SD card, I guess my last test below should contain the answers you need:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K100D SD Card Write Speed Test

p.s. The "super" and the original K100D has the same burst rate and continuous shooting buffer size in specs so it would be fair enough to assume both are the same, for the hardware of that part.
09-10-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Antitrust....

I use Lexar Pro 133x SD cards in my K110D and they work fine. They should work just as well in the K100D Super as functionally it is almost identical to the K110D other than shake reduction.
09-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Antitrust Quote
Hi

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Having the assumption that the K100D is equivalent to the K100D Super in the read/write speeds of the SD card, I guess my last test below should contain the answers you need:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K100D SD Card Write Speed Test
It would seem from RiceHigh's excellent blog that the highest write rate on the K100D he tested was 2.54Mb/s -
that makes it 2.54/0.15 x = 16.93x - call it = 17x.

So in theory any SD card capable of write speeds of better than 17x should be fine -
as it is the K100D itself that's the bottleneck limit on write speed.
I can't see any harm in using higher speed cards (eg: >40x - which are very common and inexpensive these days) -
but there probably would not be that much benefit in paying more for ultra/very high speed cards.

I use a RiData/Ritek 150x 1Gb SD (it was only $13 shipped when I bought it) in my K100D and it works fine -
the RiData 150x SD scored consistently well in Rob Galibraith's card speed tests - here1 and here2
BUT it doesn't make my K100D go any faster
(note: I gave the link above for the RiData 150x 1Gb SD as it shows the correct picture - I have ordered from that vendor twice, and although I got the products at the very good/low shipped prices advertized - it took a long time for the products to arrive both times)

Caveat - that's write speed - some cards are rated by read speed - which may not be an indication of sustained write speeds.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 09-10-2007 at 09:49 AM.