Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

How do I stop down my K-X?

I bought a new 50mm f/1.4 manual focus lense and the pictures are too soft when wide open at 1.4. I'm new to photography, but my understanding is I need to stop down the metering. Can someone tell me how I do this with my K-X?

I usually shoot in Auto or Portrait or Aperature priority mode and using these three, the camera chooses the proper shutter speed and ISO. Using stop down metering, is there still a shooting mode which will allow the camera to choose the correct settings for proper exposure?

10-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This link should cover most you need to know. Stopping down means selecting a smaller aperture (bigger f-number)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-08-2010 at 09:08 AM.
10-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No. You have to be in Manual mode first off. Then what you have to do is make sure that under your custom menu you "allow use of aperture ring." Focus and change the aperture manually. Hit the green button to force the camera to take a meter reading. The shutter/ISO should change accordingly. Finally release the shutter.
10-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

stopping down means choosing a smaller aperture, that means a bigger 'F' number.
if your lens doesn't have the A contacts than your best choice imo is to use manual mode and using the green button you'll get the program line that you'd get had you been using P mode, but with the aperture that is set on the lens. note that iso will be manual too.
If your lens has the A setting then you should be able to use it in any mode you like and it should work properly.
a quick search will lead you to many detailed threads about this issue.

10-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
No A on the lens.

I tried the green button in M mode but wasn't sure if it was working properly. You guys are conflicting above. fccwpe is saying that shutter and ISO will update accordingly but pablom is saying that ISO won't update.
10-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If it is a completely manual M lens, stop the lens down manually (ie turn the aperture ring on the lens) to the f stop you want to use (eg f4). That's it for setting the aperture. All done.

On the K-x, then tell the camera that you are using a manual lens (Menu > C > 4 > 22. Using aperture ring > 2 - Permitted), tell the camera the focal length of the lens if asked, then set the camera to M manual, focus manually, then press the green button to set a shutter speed appropriate to the aperture and ISO you've selected, then take the shot.

The ISO is something you can set beforehand - eg set the ISO range you want the camera to work within - for example 200-1600 or just 800.

When you press the green button to calculate exposure given the aperture you have selected, the camera will assess the ISO range available to it in setting the shutter speed.

Just try it a few times. Experiment and learn what and how it all works.
10-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In M mode ISO has to be set before pressing the green button. Auto ISO does not work in M mode. Also, you do not have to press the green button to get an exposure in M mode with a manual lens. You can press the AV+- button. You can set the green button for another function like custom image, RAW, optical preview, etc.

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-08-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
10-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goonsquad Quote
No A on the lens.

I tried the green button in M mode but wasn't sure if it was working properly. You guys are conflicting above. fccwpe is saying that shutter and ISO will update accordingly but pablom is saying that ISO won't update.
no auto ISO on M mode.
the green button might be set for a different custom setting so you can reset it or I think in M mode the EV compensation button does the same thing so you can use that.
basically what it does is close the aperture to the setting that you chose on the lens and meter acording to that. you should hear the iris closing and the screen darkening, depending on how much you chose to stop down.
10-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to go home and try it out.
10-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't know why everyone keeps saying that k-x owner must press the green button for stop down metering... For me and my k-x I must press the +/ - button ( just beside the green button). That is when in m mode, of course. Let us know how that works for you!
10-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
On the K-x, then tell the camera that you are using a manual lens (Menu > C > 4 > 22. Using aperture ring > 2 - Permitted), tell the camera the focal length of the lens if asked, then set the camera to M manual, focus manually, then press the green button to set a shutter speed appropriate to the aperture and ISO you've selected, then take the shot.
He's already done this. I don't think it will work without it.

Everything else was covered pretty well. So far, I've actually preferred full manual lenses. It forces me to pay attention to every exposure detail and get the most out of the scene.
10-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
I don't know why everyone keeps saying that k-x owner must press the green button for stop down metering... For me and my k-x I must press the +/ - button ( just beside the green button). That is when in m mode, of course. Let us know how that works for you!
I use the +/- button also. At the moment I have the Green Button set to do the same job which is kind of silly. I notice that I get slightly different shutter speeds some of the time from using one or the other. I will soon be doing a lot of shooting using both and will see how it goes. At some point I will assign another job to the Green Button. I am loving these M lens.