Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Yeah, I bought NEW Pentax DSLR - I love it!!!

Yesterday I got a chance to try it out myself here in a shop in Nagoya Japan and it was great, so directly decided to buy one:
- Auto focus is REALLY, REALLY FAST
- And also the frame rate is amazing these days, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK...
- I still have to check out dynamic range, but I am sure it should be SWEET, especially in RAW

Thanks to Pentax for developing such nice new PROFFESIONAL camera's

FYI: I bought NEW K-x on internet for less than 400 Euro (20% cheaper than in shop, but with "free" delivery time of about 7 days...), so I am waiting just like everybody wanting a K-r or K-5.

10-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am dreaming for mine... got to start saving now.
10-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought the price of K-x was reasonable, for example pretty close to the same as I paid for a new LX3 ("serious" P&S - very nice compact camera, which I / my wife keep next to DSLR) about a year ago (so way after introduction).
- Maybe 1-2 years later I buy a K-5 (and by then probably "saved" a full K-x to donate to my father).
10-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff Joep.
The K-x has been the best value and feature-packed entry level dSLR for a while now, and it'll only be even better value with time.
Well done.

10-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good stuff Joep.
The K-x has been the best value and feature-packed entry level dSLR for a while now, and it'll only be even better value with time.
Well done.
Yes, well the first bit is true anyway, except that it's now effectively superseded by K-r, which is what the K-x should have been - and side by side is the one people will want to buy, thus wiping out demand for K-x leaving it to die soon.

We can all look back and rightly claim the great K-x was a legend in its own lunchtime. And snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages will even need to create a new article about its fiendish dragon-slaying capabilities...

So much for 15 mins of fame though. I'd be willing to bet that the new Nikon 3100 will easily outsell K-x/r this round by many thousands.

Also Nikon will make serious money on theirs, they won't be so desperately discounting just to shift stock and make monthly sales targets.

Fact is it could be said with some truth that K-x really only ever appealed to cheapskates like me.
(lowest numbers on price tag rule here, that over-rode pixel count or other specs.)

It's a cruel harsh world, and it's mostly about price v's brand imaging.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-08-2010 at 09:52 PM.
10-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Yes, well the first bit is true anyway, except that it's now effectively superseded by K-r, which is what the K-x should have been - and side by side is the one people will want to buy, thus wiping out demand for K-x leaving it to die soon.

We can all look back and rightly claim the great K-x was a legend in its own lunchtime. And snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages will even need to create a new article about its fiendish dragon-slaying capabilities...

So much for 15 mins of fame though. I'd be willing to bet that the new Nikon 3100 will easily outsell K-x/r this round by many thousands.

Also Nikon will make serious money on theirs, they won't be so desperately discounting just to shift stock and make monthly sales targets.

Fact is it could be said with some truth that K-x really only ever appealed to cheapskates like me.
(lowest numbers on price tag rule here, that over-rode pixel count or other specs.)

It's a cruel harsh world, and it's mostly about price v's brand imaging.

.R.
Dude, Nikon production in absolute numbers are not close to Pentax's... can't compare apples to oranges.

The D3100 is very competitive for it's price. For a $ 700 camera, there are some obvious stuff left:
- No bracketing (I wonder why they left this out?)
- 3 fps (for a camera out in late 2010?)
- Build quality (if similar to D3000, doesn't impress)
- The usual "no SR, no screwdriver"... but that's a granted

There's the ergonomics, which I don't think are the best with all those stupid buttons on the left, and I hate their menus, but that's subjective. To be fair, there's Full HD video and video AF, which is super cool, but to have video when the fastest glass you can afford is f/3.5 can suck. And looks like the serious video kids are getting Canon's nowadays...

K-x is great value and the last stocks will keep being sold and resold for a while, until K-r prices drop more. Both are very appealing entry-levels in my opinion. Buy one, a 18-55 / 100-300 kit (which is a steal for the price), a bunch of used fast primes and go out shooting.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 10-09-2010 at 12:36 AM.
10-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Dude, Nikon production in absolute numbers are not close to Pentax's... can't compare apples to oranges.

The D3100 is very competitive for it's price. For a $ 700 camera, there are some obvious stuff left:
- No bracketing (I wonder why they left this out?)
- 3 fps (for a camera out in late 2010?)
- Build quality (if similar to D3000, doesn't impress)
- The usual "no SR, no screwdriver"... but that's a granted

There's the ergonomics, which I don't think are the best with all those stupid buttons on the left, and I hate their menus, but that's subjective. To be fair, there's Full HD video and video AF, which is super cool, but to have video when the fastest glass you can afford is f/3.5 can suck. And looks like the serious video kids are getting Canon's nowadays...

K-x is great value and the last stocks will keep being sold and resold for a while, until K-r prices drop more. Both are very appealing entry-levels in my opinion. Buy one, a 18-55 / 100-300 kit (which is a steal for the price), a bunch of used fast primes and go out shooting.
Hehe, yes I ack what you say about Nikon's low end products and admit I was a bit premature in comparing it's 3100. Sheesh, their rubbish P&S range speaks highly of their lack of commitment to the lower market segment doesn't it.

As for the itemised 3100 features list that you point out, all I can say there is; Do you honestly believe that Mr & Ms Nerdless Average would even understand or CARE about those geeky numbers?

"Oh, we only want a camera that will take nice pictures of the children - we love the children and the pets. And did you say I can take really nice video of them with it too? Gee that would be sooo nice, here's the money. Btw; my friend at work said Nikon are good, and they're a very nice person who owns a camera themselves so I trust them, they would know."

I would expect the D7000 will exceed P.K5 sales though, unless Pentax takes a very large razor to prices.
Because even though what you say about Nikon price-gouging with their lenses is entirely correct, most people only ever buy one of two extra anyway and the fact that Nikon has a bigger range is one strong attraction, as well as that strong brand image (that pretentious, bullshit factor that the name Pentax simply doesn't have and CanNikon does).

Note, in using the term 'most people' there I meant the average gronk - not the minority diehard foto-fanatics like you and I who live on forums like this and typically lust for and amass lens collections that would break a small country's economy.

And I don't know what it's like where you come from but in the part of the planet where I exist it's pretty hard to ignore the amount of Nikons DSLRs v the scarcity of Pentax in comparison dangling from people's necks.

Pentax is also that nasty brand that doesn't even offer an equivalent VERY cheap new nifty-fifty 1.8 for their loyal owners either. Grrr... snarl... hate...

"Corporations may manufacture products, but what consumers buy are brands." -- Naomi Klein, No Logo

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-09-2010 at 01:27 AM.
10-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Hehe, yes I ack what you say about Nikon's low end products and admit I was a bit premature in comparing it's 3100. Sheesh, their rubbish P&S range speaks highly of their lack of commitment to the lower market segment doesn't it.

As for the itemised 3100 features list that you point out, all I can say there is; Do you honestly believe that Mr & Ms Nerdless Average would even understand or CARE about those geeky numbers?

"Oh, we only want a camera that will take nice pictures of the children - we love the children and the pets. And did you say I can take really nice video of them with it too? Gee that would be sooo nice, here's the money. Btw; my friend at work said Nikon are good, and they're a very nice person who owns a camera themselves so I trust them, they would know."

I would expect the D7000 will exceed P.K5 sales though, unless Pentax takes a very large razor to prices.
Because even though what you say about Nikon price-gouging with their lenses is entirely correct, most people only ever buy one of two extra anyway and the fact that Nikon has a bigger range is one strong attraction, as well as that strong brand image (that pretentious, bullshit factor that the name Pentax simply doesn't have and CanNikon does).

Note, in using the term 'most people' there I meant the average gronk - not the minority diehard foto-fanatics like you and I who live on forums like this and typically lust for and amass lens collections that would break a small country's economy.

And I don't know what it's like where you come from but in the part of the planet where I exist it's pretty hard to ignore the amount of Nikons DSLRs v the scarcity of Pentax in comparison dangling from people's necks.

Pentax is also that nasty brand that doesn't even offer an equivalent VERY cheap new nifty-fifty 1.8 for their loyal owners either. Grrr... snarl... hate...

"Corporations may manufacture products, but what consumers buy are brands." -- Naomi Klein, No Logo

.R.
Yes, but the same things that you say about people not caring about the lack of extra features on the Nikon apply to the lack of focus points in the viewfinder on the kx as well. Most people shoot on auto mode with camera determined auto focus and they just don't care about focus points. I think the big question is what the reviews say about these particular cameras and I really see DP Review and others liking the specs on the Kr a lot in comparison to the Nikon. Reviewers really like high iso capabilities, fast fps, etc.

The only thing that the Nikon has over the Pentax is a couple of things in video mode (including autofocus).

As to lenses, as you say, most average users never buy another lens anyway, and if they do, it is a super zoom or telephoto. I don't really see the lack of a cheap 50mm lens really doing anything to sales one way or another, particularly now that the DA 35 is coming out, IMHO a more useful focal length, anyway.

As to reason why there are a lot more Nikon/Canon's around, the reasons have more to do with marketing and store placement than with product value. Pentax has not been aggressive at getting their cameras into places where people can actually play with them and that has hurt them considerably. In Japan and in places in Europe where they have been more aggressive, they have much better market shares than in the United States.

10-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I do not understand why the subject is now on Nikon

Anyway Joe , you will love the K-X. I got one and that a great camera
10-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I do not understand why the subject is now on Nikon

Anyway Joe , you will love the K-X. I got one and that a great camera
You are right. Congratulations on the new camera! You'll love it. Be sure to post some shots!
10-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K-x is much better value / price balance for me:
- Photo's don't improve with bigger / high resolution LCD
- Using center spot focus / focus confirmation I don't need to have it light up next to beep
- Higher frame rate can be attractive to some, but K-x is already more than fast enough for me
- Focus assist beam might be nice, but not for almost double the price

Oh, I have the 2 kit lenses (bought used) and some very good old primes!!!
10-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #12

Cangrats JoepKX
I too have a KX w/ 2 lens kit (18-55 55-300) + M 1.7 50mm. Still enjoying it!!!
10-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, guess should request an username change!!!
10-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It arrived (in two working days iso seven)
- Will try it out tonight!!!