Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #1

K-7

I have had a K-7 for about a month now, and two questions have come up.

I cannot set the ISO lower than 200. Every reference I find says that it will go to 100, but the menu does not present that option.

The 2nd problem is more of a mystery. When the camera is in M (manual) mode, and I dial down the shutter speed, it will go (for instance) from 1000 to 640 to 500 to 2000 to 1000 to 5000 to 4000 to 3200 to 8000 and so on and on. I cannot dial in the speed I need, and so I'm prevented from using the camera in manual mode. The camera does this with both auto lens (kit lens 18-55) and with the older manual focus lens.

I hope that there is a setting in one of the menus that is causing the problem, otherwise I'll be forced to return it for replacement or repair (bought it from
B & H)

So, any advice from those who are wise in the ways of this camera?

10-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The iso100 is available when highlight correction is OFF - with it turned on, iso200 is as low as you go. I learned that the hard way too

Don't know about #2, I'll test mine to see if I can do that. Almost like the aperture is resetting on you to make that happen..
10-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For the 2nd problem, it is likely that you have bracketing option on....
10-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The only thing I can think of that would change the way you step through shutter speeds is the EV steps in the custom menu. Even still, it should count up as you continue to rotate the dial by 1/2 or 1/3 steps. That is unless you are accidentally turning the dial back as you progress. Check your dials by going into the custom menu and reversing the action on the two dials for M mode. See if that changes anything. If it does, I'd return for exchange (or send it for service). Set your camera to Tv also and see if you can properly step through the shutter speeds with that. Make sure you are locked into M mode (shows M on the rear screen) and not somehow in Tav mode.

10-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you read the manual yet?
10-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Jim, the highlight correction was on and so changing it solved the ISO problem. As for the shutter speed dial, I reversed the setting so shutter speed is now controlled by the rear dial, and it works like a champ. However, now I cannot control the aperture settings as they are now linked to the front dial. So the problem seems to be the front dial, and I see by other posting that problems with the dials are not uncommon. I may give it a small dose of electronic cleanser, if that does not work, back to the repair shop.

Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions!
Nick
10-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There have been several reports of dials on the K-7 malfunctioning, as well. I know the front dial on mine didn't work properly for a few weeks. I blew some compressed air inside and ran it back and forth quickly and that finally fixed it. Go figure.

10-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No offense but... sounds like an operator problem. Study the owners manual, 328 pages of it,(almost) everything is covered there.