Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know for all the talk and hysteria around this matter it was hardly an issue - until the Falky report came out!

I just don't understand the mentality here... and FWIW I've never been able to replicate the problem with my K7.

10-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I've not been able to deliberately reproduce it in my photos, so I can't say from personal experience.

Its reportedly from 1/80 - 1/150 secs, with the peak at 1/100 secs.
I seldom encountered SR problem w/ my K7, but it did happened a few times when I was using flash. When a flash was used, the pics w/o SR came out sharper than w/ SR on, and I could obviously see the double lines (like the photos shook a little bit).

Just now I tried my K5 w/ the same flash setting, but I couldn't see any blurry photo at all. SR on or OFF doesn't make any difference at all.

I also purposely tried shutter speed from 1/80 to 1/200s, with SR ON or OFF, took multiple shots at each speed, all photos came out fine, can't tell the difference (between SR on and OFF) at all, all pretty sharp.
10-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #18

I believe shutter blur may not be present at the same shutter speeds. The new sensor has a different mass, meaning it will probably have a different resonant frequency. Not sure if that even was the cause of the shutter blur, but my point is that the shutter blur could occur at any shutter speed, not necessarily the speeds seen on the K-7.

Has anyone with the k-5 tested it at ultra-high and ultra-low shutter speeds?
10-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
I believe shutter blur may not be present at the same shutter speeds. The new sensor has a different mass, meaning it will probably have a different resonant frequency. Not sure if that even was the cause of the shutter blur, but my point is that the shutter blur could occur at any shutter speed, not necessarily the speeds seen on the K-7.

Has anyone with the k-5 tested it at ultra-high and ultra-low shutter speeds?
I think this is going to be one of those Internet Urban Legends that refuse to die, and Pentax is never going to live this one down.

I was doubtful about the issue with the K-7 in the first place, but I can accept those who have the problem as having individual body variation.

Now, the K-5 might now have shutter induced vibration at 1/500 s, but we'll never really know will we ?

10-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Why is it that when people have tested their cameras with a nil result that people still remain skeptical? I have never had the supposed issue with my K-7 and so far I can't see any issue with my current K-5 whether with slow or high shutter speeds. I'd rather trust my eyes rather than swallow hook, line and sinker all the internet mumbo-jumbo theoretical pseudo science snake oil out there.
10-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This reminds me of the sort of fear mongering that you get in US politics. "Death Panels" and "Fema internment camps" come to mind. Once this rubbish is in the public domain it sticks, which is why these things are spread in the first place.

Now if someone can bring proper scientific case tested research done in laboratory conditions and not just propping a camera on a bit of foam then I might take some notice. Not to take away from what some have done in testing these things but it is not MIT is it!

As it is I have had a K7 and now a K5. I have never noticed a shutter blur problem. Maybe I have been fortunate or ignorant, whichever it is I go out and take photographs that please me and that is the aim is it not?
10-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I did not own the K-7, but my K-x most definitely had the shutter blur problem (I have plenty of ruined pictures, test photos and circumstantial evidence to prove it), so I definitely know what it looks like and when it occurred.

Though I have not yet gone out and reproduced the exact circumstances in which it showed itself on my K-x, I have thus far been unable to reproduce it on the K-5 using the same settings and lenses (yes I know they're not the same camera/body so it probably wouldn't be exactly the same even if there was a problem). I'll probably do more thorough testing some other time, but I'm fairly optimistic that my K-5 is free of the issue.

Though, that is not to say that all K-5s will be problem free; I know that many/most people had no problems with their K-x, but mine definitely did, indicating some kind of QC problem. If someone says they have a problem and have photos to show it, I will be more inclined to believe them than not, given my own experience. People who don't have problems should not automatically assume that applies to everyone.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-22-2010 at 09:06 PM.
10-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
If someone says they have a problem and have photos to show it, I will be more inclined to believe them than not, given my own experience. People who don't have problems should not automatically assume that applies to everyone.
Problem photos can be indicative of problem technique, sketchy "testing" procedure, or a failure of some other piece of equipment just as easily as a problem with a camera body.
People who have a "problem" automatically presume that their test bed is flawless and bleat all over the internet that there is something screwy and that it needs to be addressed.
They presume that their problem applies to everyone.

The occasional bad camera is bound to hit the market. Consumers aren't willing to pay for quality control, consequently, every now and again, someone somewhere is going to have a camera with something wrong with it.
If you think you have such a product, the smart thing to do is to send it in for service, not moan about it on camera forums.

10-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Its not on every camera, which makes it a fault. if you camera suffered from SR bugs at 1/125 or whatever then SEND IT BACK.
10-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I agree that many people blow problems out of preportion and call it an inherent flaw in the design. Trolls use that to their advantage to decry Pentax as making inherently bad cameras to scare people away. The same thing happened with the K-x battery problem, which continues to be spread even long after Pentax released the firmware fix. This is obviously not helping. But pretending the problem does not exist is not helpful either.

I did not even know such a problem existed until I saw my own photos show distinct double image blur, and I looked it up online. The fact that the circumstances described by other people with the problem matched my situation exactly (1/100, vertical, wide angle) means that this is not a coincidence.

By the time I discovered the issue, it was not really an option for me to return the camera to Amazon as 30 days had passed, nor was sending it in for repairs as I had already given my only other camera to my sister; several weeks without any camera was something I wasn't going to do. I had the choice of either buying another K-x and hoping it didn't have the problem (I considered this for awhile) or wait for awhile to get another camera as an upgrade and get rid of the problem at the same time.

Because people had identified the problem online, I was able diagnose the problem as a specific circumstance (rather than being totally lost) and work around the issue by avoiding the specific settings that caused the problem. Thus I was able to happily keep shooting my K-x for another 9 months, and save my money for a future upgrade. It's part of the reason I upgraded to the K-5, so it actually helped earn Pentax another sale.

Yes, people need to stop spouting nonsense in an attempt to defame Pentax's overall design as flawed. It is obviously not, given all the people with good cameras. And people should not let fear cloud their judgment and assume their camera has a problem they have not seen for themselves. But at the same time there are people with real problems in their cameras that are obviously not an isolated incident (some random factory worker dropping a camera would not produce exactly identical problems across multiple cameras). It is important that they share their issue so that others may get the help they need to diagnose their own problems. If it truly is an isolated incident it will pass quickly. Calling these people liars, sensationalists or "stupid noobs that don't how to hold a camera", and sweeping the problem under the rug makes you as bad as the trolls. Also, just as there are those who will generalize the problem to all cameras, there are those who have posted shots from their camera without problems, saying that their one camera is "proof" that the problem does not exist on any camera. There are two extremes to a debate, and it is never good to go to either extreme, whether it's on the "right" side or not.

Anyway, back to the OP: I am a firm acknowledger and victim of the existence of a blur problem on some cameras (keyword: some), at least on the K-x (I have no experience with the K-7), but in my testing so far, I have found no evidence of such on my K-5. I am currently under the assumption that there is no such problem with the K-5, unless someone in the future provides substantial proof. Unless that happens, I would not let any fear of such prevent you from buying this excellent camera.

Nor would I discourage anyone from buying the K-x either. It is also a great camera that has for the most part served me well. Just make sure to check for any known potential problems early on, so you can take advantage of a return policy, or send it in for repairs as others have suggested here.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-23-2010 at 02:05 AM.
10-23-2010, 04:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Why is it that when people have tested their cameras with a nil result that people still remain skeptical?
Probably because every time someone posts a blurred picture asking if the blur could be due to bla.bla.-whatever, there is always a bunch of people responding that the picture is just fine and they can not see any blur at all.

And that is even though the picture is right there in the post and is really really blurry. It makes you wonder if they don't see the same picture or if they are half blind or in some sort of denial, so when the same people state that their camera don't have the blur issue I really don't know what to believe.

Note, I'm not saying that everyone has the problem.
10-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem may also have been fixed during the production run. Hence some people affected by it and some not. I recall something similar with my late K10D which had none of the problems affecting many users (misaligned VF, crack in the bottom, erratic AF, etc.).
10-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I agree that many people blow problems out of preportion and call it an inherent flaw in the design. Trolls use that to their advantage to decry Pentax as making inherently bad cameras to scare people away. The same thing happened with the K-x battery problem, which continues to be spread even long after Pentax released the firmware fix. This is obviously not helping. But pretending the problem does not exist is not helpful either.

I did not even know such a problem existed until I saw my own photos show distinct double image blur, and I looked it up online. The fact that the circumstances described by other people with the problem matched my situation exactly (1/100, vertical, wide angle) means that this is not a coincidence.

By the time I discovered the issue, it was not really an option for me to return the camera to Amazon as 30 days had passed, nor was sending it in for repairs as I had already given my only other camera to my sister; several weeks without any camera was something I wasn't going to do. I had the choice of either buying another K-x and hoping it didn't have the problem (I considered this for awhile) or wait for awhile to get another camera as an upgrade and get rid of the problem at the same time.

Because people had identified the problem online, I was able diagnose the problem as a specific circumstance (rather than being totally lost) and work around the issue by avoiding the specific settings that caused the problem. Thus I was able to happily keep shooting my K-x for another 9 months, and save my money for a future upgrade. It's part of the reason I upgraded to the K-5, so it actually helped earn Pentax another sale.

Yes, people need to stop spouting nonsense in an attempt to defame Pentax's overall design as flawed. It is obviously not, given all the people with good cameras. And people should not let fear cloud their judgment and assume their camera has a problem they have not seen for themselves. But at the same time there are people with real problems in their cameras that are obviously not an isolated incident (some random factory worker dropping a camera would not produce exactly identical problems across multiple cameras). It is important that they share their issue so that others may get the help they need to diagnose their own problems. If it truly is an isolated incident it will pass quickly. Calling these people liars, sensationalists or "stupid noobs that don't how to hold a camera", and sweeping the problem under the rug makes you as bad as the trolls. Also, just as there are those who will generalize the problem to all cameras, there are those who have posted shots from their camera without problems, saying that their one camera is "proof" that the problem does not exist on any camera. There are two extremes to a debate, and it is never good to go to either extreme, whether it's on the "right" side or not.

Anyway, back to the OP: I am a firm acknowledger and victim of the existence of a blur problem on some cameras (keyword: some), at least on the K-x (I have no experience with the K-7), but in my testing so far, I have found no evidence of such on my K-5. I am currently under the assumption that there is no such problem with the K-5, unless someone in the future provides substantial proof. Unless that happens, I would not let any fear of such prevent you from buying this excellent camera.

Nor would I discourage anyone from buying the K-x either. It is also a great camera that has for the most part served me well. Just make sure to check for any known potential problems early on, so you can take advantage of a return policy, or send it in for repairs as others have suggested here.
And you should either send your camera for repair or stop crabbing about it.
If you aren't willing to do that, then figure out what shutter speeds are affected and stop using those speeds, and stop crabbing about it.

Two solutions, both easy.
10-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you aren't willing to do that, then figure out what shutter speeds are affected and stop using those speeds, and stop crabbing about it.

Fully agree with that.

I had a different issue, but even more annoying.
My K-7 originally had trouble focusing with any f/2.8 lens, beyond correction with the AF-adjust function. I sent it back for repair. Fixed, and no more problem after that.
11-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

Or avoid the shutter speeds until JUST BEFORE the warranty expires, and after the K-7 is discontinued. Then send it back