Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firmware Archive Link

As a fairly new K10D owner I have moved slow updating my firmware. Having heard some vague comments about problems with 1.30 I decided to upgrade slowly. Not having any SDM lenses yet, I do not need 1.30 anyway. Nor do I use Remote Assistant so i don't need 1.20. Making these decisions I decided to upgrade to 1.11. But where to find it. Pentax USA doesnt have anything listed but 1.30. I finally stumbled on the Pentax Japan english version which has a full selection of updates at:

PENTAX Support & Service

Now, my only question is.... Does anyone know if these updates are English updates? I'd hate to update the camera only to find that I need to learn Japanese to read my menus...

>>> RH need not reply <<<

09-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Mike, I felt the same way and hunted, read posts etc and came up with the same info as you. Didn't want to risk the Japanese learning curve so I just did 1.3 about a month ago. No issues or regrets and I don't have any SDM's in the budget for awhile either. I would suggest don't take the risk of a language issue and everything I read were issues about not doing the download EXACTLY as instructed. I hear it can be hard to fix after the fact if done wrong and probably harder if the menu can't be read.

Btw, you're gonna love being able to adjust the ISO so easily.
09-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Re:

I updated my firmware to 1.20 at the Japan website, and it works with no internationalization problems. I think they just have one version of the firmware binaries for use worlwide. So you still get the international language selection in the menu. It even starts up in English when you power on so you should have no problems.
09-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff1101 Quote
I updated my firmware to 1.20 at the Japan website, and it works with no internationalization problems. I think they just have one version of the firmware binaries for use worlwide. So you still get the international language selection in the menu. It even starts up in English when you power on so you should have no problems.
I have updated all but the first update from the japanese site, as canada can be 3-5 days behind.

I have never had a problem.

The original poster has raised a good question, however, it might ne nice, somewhere, to have access to an odler version. Maybe this is part of each user's responsibility , i.e. to keep a copy of each download.

09-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
(snip) I'd hate to update the camera only to find that I need to learn Japanese to read my menus..

Those on the Japanese web site are indeed the international firmware updates, Mike. It appears Pentax releases only a single universal file for world-wide use corresponding to each firmware update. Even the text file instructions included with the updates are in English (regional Pentax offices are supposed to convert those into the local language to distribute on their websites). Cameras sold overseas, initially set for the local language or not, will default back to English when reset, with the owners manuals explaining how to use the English menus to reselect the local language.

Regardless, if you're still concerned, I'd be glad to send you a copy of k10e111w.exe and k10e120w.exe by email (the Windows self-extractors for Pentax K10D Firmwire versions 1.11 and 1.20) if those on the Japanese site don't work for you. The ones I have were installed on my camera (v1.20 still is), so I know from personal experience that they are in fact the English versions.

stewart
09-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Thos confirmations make me feel a lot better and i'll download the copies from Pentax Japan. I for one plan to keep local copies so in the future if they ever disappear from the site we can all help folks out. Wonder what Adam would think about keeping a library of these type files here somewhere?