Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Comparison between k-x and k10d (IQwise)

i ve used k100d super for a year with kitlens and smc m 50mm 1.7, when i realized i need some more cropping in most of my photos i upgraded to k10d. but when i started buying new lenses , especially 77mm limited i realized half of my shots were focused badly, awb wasnt working correctly and there was heavy purple fringing. then i started to learn removing purple fringing, in most cases i managed to get rid of purple n magenta colors. but it was time consuming. another thing , it was too boring to set white balance manually all the time. and k10d was kinda focusing wrong, af was too slow inaccurate and noisy.
so i sold my 77 ltd, all other equipment and gonna sell my k10d aswell.
planned on buying d7000 cuz of many af points and cheap price. but when checked nikon lenses i realized they are expensive for my budged. (willing to spend 1600 1700 usd atm). so i started to think about pentax again, but when i do that i feel really bad cuz i sold my 77 ltd (that lens is something emotional, eventho its not perfect i just really liked the bokeh)

so i really demand some feedbacks on k-x af performance(especially with low light situations). and what would u guys do if u were in a situation like this ? shall i go for another brand(didnt think of canon alot but i might go for 40d+ some 3rd party lenses cant affor L series aswell), or shall i stay as a pentax guy ?

10-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go with what works for you. Only you can make that decision.
The 77 ltd is known to exhibit purple fringing in high contrast areas - and is hard to correct for as you mentioned.
But if focusing was all wrong, did you try and correct that?
If not, you may have given up on a very good combination that could have had a minor tweak (albeit through an AF adjustment hack) to get it working properly.

Nevertheless, if you're asking about the K-x there are a plethora of threads showing you what it can do - can't get better value than that, and AF is considerably faster than with the K10D.

But go for another brand if you will - you will find better if you pay more, but as your budget dictates, that's not feasible. K-x + 77 ltd or 70 ltd easily fits your budget if 70mm is all you need...
10-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

K-x represents great bang-for-buck at the moment, and K-x IQ and resolution is excellent by any measure - dxomark.com scores included (eg K-x beats Canon 7D/60D/550D etc). It also has excellent AWB and pretty snappy AF, especially when using fast lenses (eg FA 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, DA 40 etc). Good K-x body pricing means more money for lenses too.
10-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both cameras, and indeed AWB is WAY better on the Kx.

AF speed... hmmm... better yes.. but hard to quantify.

10-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I have both cameras, and indeed AWB is WAY better on the Kx.

AF speed... hmmm... better yes.. but hard to quantify.
I agree on the AWB. Much better on the Kx than the K100d, K10d or K20d.
10-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Skip that 40D you mentioned. I owned one between owning a K20D and now owning a K-x. The K-x is only marginally slower in AF and fps but is miles ahead in image quality. The K20D was a better performer on all counts except speed as well, though not quite as good in IQ as the K-x.
10-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #7

The K-x is stellar in terms of High ISO quality, you may not need it but its there and the images are fantastic. The K-x won't limit you but enable you as a photographer. Cheers.

10-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
thank you all for the feedback, i think i ll go for k-x + 40/70 ltd. i ve checked other brands well, lenses arent compact nor bodies. and build quality is too bad except high end products :] hope i ll be happy with k-x