Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CIF worked yesterday, but not today

I cant see whats going wrong here.

Using a fully manual lens ( M42 + Unflanged Rainbow adapter ) Using either M or Av.

I have CIF enabled, Use Aperture Ring enabled , AF-S enabled. Flash off, no EV set, no bracketing, but the shutter will fire 3 times if I keep my finger on the trigger, whether in focus or not. That doesnt sound right

Anyway, yesterday CIF works like a charm, today the shutter fires soon as its pressed.

User error is always the first port of call, so have I unconciously set something wrong ?

10-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did it work like a charm with the exact same set up? From what I've read, when using a flangeless adapter, you have to short the contacts on the camera lens mount in order to use CIF with an M42.

10-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Jeff - yes same lens with that same adapter. Cant figure it out.
10-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Well, I'm out of ideas. Unless that is, you changed the camera from AF-S to one of the other focus modes. CIF only works with Center spot focusing (IIRC) and AF-S. Even then however, the camera will just fire regardless of focus (in AF-C and MF).

Edit:

Sorry, I didn't read your entire post correctly (have to correct that).. You said..

QuoteQuote:
I have CIF enabled, Use Aperture Ring enabled , AF-S enabled. Flash off, no EV set, no bracketing, but the shutter will fire 3 times if I keep my finger on the trigger, whether in focus or not. That doesnt sound right
Are you sure you don't have your Drive mode set to Continuous?

Last edited by JeffJS; 10-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
10-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did you check to make sure the AF/MF switch is in AF position?
10-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jeff - where's continuous mode in the menu ? Spot was used, and centre AF too. Its been set that way since I bought
the camera a couple of weeks back

Agsy - yes checked that, set on AF, so that was ok
10-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jeff - silly me, i found it. Its set to AF-S. I was sure it was, but i started having doubts. So it wasnt that anyway
10-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Checked again - and again. Still firing as soon as shutter is pressed, and still firing off more than one shot if my finger is left pressed on the shutter. And that is definately with AF-S enabled, not AF-C

10-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Are you saying that the camera is firing three shots? Is it in HDR mode? Or maybe bracketing? I know that when I used Takumars I had to make sure about the 6 'o clock pins to be shorted. I'm sure you checked that. Can't think of anything else...I have a K-x which might be a bit different.
10-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure i have an HDR mode on the 200D, but here's a thing.

I just swapped lenses for another - my Tamron SP 90 f2.5, the old one. Got a genuine Tamron PK adapter. CIF just worked fine!

So i think you guys are right about the shorting i think. The last contact button must need covering or something. Cant figure out why it worked with the other lens yesterday, and not today. I didnt short any pins then.

One thing though - its still firing 3 shots. Thats a maximum , as I just left my finger on the trigger to see how many it would take, and it stopped at 3. No bracketing used

Last edited by Squier; 10-09-2010 at 06:19 PM.
10-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I found that shorting the contacts using the Takumar it helped tremendously in metering. It would constantly underexpose (in Av mode) without having the contacts shorted. Good luck finding the issue.
10-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes, i guess this one lens must need it, but why it didnt need shorting the other day is a bit of a headscratch.

And i'm still going through the manual wondering why i'm getting 3 continuous shots, when continuous hasnt been enabled.
10-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I jut looked it up and there is HDR shooting on the K200D (3 types). However, on the Kx if you are shooting HDR, you press the shutter once and it will fire all three shots even if you release the shutter after the first shot.
10-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Isnt HDR only available in Playback Mode on the 200D? It looks like its just some filters that can be applied after the photo has been taken
10-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I think you're confusing Continuous AF (AF-C) with Continuous Drive Mode (pg 115 in your manual). I'm specifically addressing the 3 shots in a row here.