Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x price speculation

I am looking for a K-x for my wife. I would like to know if you think the prices will go down even more between now and Christmas or if I should buy it now?

10-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

To me it is somewhat difficult to tell, since Pentax is selling both Kx and the Kr at the same time. That should indicate that the Kr will be a ceiling price pushing down the Kr. Also, over time after the introduction, the Kr's price should drift down, thus pushing down the Kx's price. Well so much for economics.

I came across this price chart over time....

It looks like $450 has been some what stable. So, I would not pay over that price. How much lower it will go - is open to speculation.

The K2000, the model prior to the Kx is going for between $399 and $499, so $450 might not be too bad. Of course there are few new K2000's to be had. Also, other retailers have much higher prices...

10-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
I am looking for a K-x for my wife.
Fair enough. Sounds like a fair trade I suppose - but you'd really have to post her detailed features list + some sample pix might help too, so that K-x owners here can decide if they want to part with their camera.

They tend to be a fanatical loyal bunch you know.

QuoteQuote:
I would like to know if you think the prices will go down even more between now and Christmas or if I should buy it now?
Sure. There'll obviously be some special deals on offer, that's normal retail practice for the annual Great December Trinkets Exchange & Acquisition season.

But don't hold your breath waiting for K-x prices to seriously drop much below the average of what's around now - the simple rules of near zero profit margins dictate that, and the K-x has really reached that 'can't justify continued manufacture' point due to retail pressures making it not worth efforts to bother making any more.

Remember that you simply can't run a company as a charity and Hoya will rightly be demanding that it's subsidiary performs.

K-x successor, the K-r is actually only a dressed up K-x anyway and that's going to steal the limelight in Xmas market attention.
Deja Vu. Once it's available on shelves many retailers will drop holding the now less profit margin for them K-x.

.R.
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here in Australia the shops are still selling the K-m for a HIGHER price than the K-x!!! Go figure.

As "Mr. T" may say, I pity the "poor fool" who buys a K-m thinking they are getting a better camera than the K-x.

10-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Of course I don't really know, as no one does, but it is hard to think it would get much cheaper than $400 new. Sort of also depends on the prices and relative merits of other options - k-r, D5000, D3100, etc. I don't have the k-x, but all the reviews of it continue to be glowing. Even if you paid $450 and then saw it for $400 - would you feel that bad? You (she) would still have a really nice camera.
10-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Here in Australia the shops are still selling the K-m for a HIGHER price than the K-x!!! Go figure.
That's true, eg. DCW still has it listed online here...
Pentax Digital SLR Cameras - Buy CHEAP dSLR
...but I don't recall seeing it on display for a while at my local DCW branch.

Many (other) Oz retailers make it an artform to still live in 1974 and treat customers like mushrooms though, as you'd probably know.

QuoteQuote:
As "Mr. T" may say, I pity the "poor fool" who buys a K-m thinking they are getting a better camera than the K-x.
Yeah, could be a trap for the 'blind online orderers' who don't research, and the business just happened to have old stock, or able to get it from CRK.

But the credible businesses just tardy in their web updating would surely guide the buyer to the current better model.

Otoh; it can work both ways too. Some newer/replacement model cameras are rightly considered a downgrade from their equivalent predecessor - and some savvy buyers can even be willing to pay the higher to get claws on a last one.

From what I observe there's a sizable "lead balloon" effect going on post release of the Canon 60D now, leaving small but vigorous demand still existing for "old" 50D.
But the same will not apply to keep K-x on life support, because no part of K-r can be considered a downgrade.

World n: A crazy place that's hard to fathom.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-10-2010 at 09:14 PM.
10-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

It looks like $450 has been some what stable. So, I would not pay over that price.
could you point where i can get the k-x for $450? the best that i saw was at amazon for $499. thanks!!
10-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by agraspar Quote
could you point where i can get the k-x for $450? the best that i saw was at amazon for $499. thanks!!
This is the best deal going if you don't mind a possible scuff or two - amazon warehouse deals Kx 2 lens kit (55-300mm version) for $578

The 55-300mm is an extremely good lens as far as kit lenses go, for another $78 it is a no brainer.

10-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
This is the best deal going if you don't mind a possible scuff or two - amazon warehouse deals Kx 2 lens kit (55-300mm version) for $578

The 55-300mm is an extremely good lens as far as kit lenses go, for another $78 it is a no brainer.
just checked - its no longer available, amazon says. the new 2 lens kit comes in just under $700. is that still a good enough deal?
10-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That went quick - had been there all weekend. Adorama has it new for $628 right now, still an awesome deal (would link but am on my iPod touch!).
10-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I generalized and then there is the graph. However here is a google shopping search with cameras from $408 and higher - Note: I don't know about the seller/retailer and I did not normalize for the type of kit. Just Pentax Kx.....

Here is the link for $408 (and I just saw that it was a UK retailer with a price in dollars??)

Pentax K-x White + 18-55mm Lens Kit (Inc Battery Charger Kit)

Too good to be true, possibly. Never heard of them before.

10-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I generalized and then there is the graph. However here is a google shopping search with cameras from $408 and higher - Note: I don't know about the seller/retailer and I did not normalize for the type of kit. Just Pentax Kx.....

Here is the link for $408

Pentax K-x White + 18-55mm Lens Kit (Inc Battery Charger Kit)
http://lepnabest.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5719

Too good to be true, possibly. Never heard of them before.

10-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

As long as K-r is priced as we expect, there's no reason to further cut the price of the K-X.

In fact, it would make sense to firm up the K-X price - many are saying it's a great deal at USD $500. It would not make much sense for Pentax to engage in more price-cutting on either the K-X or K-7. Keeping them in the market for a while gives them four bodies, not two, at well-separated price points.
10-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
As long as K-r is priced as we expect, there's no reason to further cut the price of the K-X.

In fact, it would make sense to firm up the K-X price - many are saying it's a great deal at USD $500. It would not make much sense for Pentax to engage in more price-cutting on either the K-X or K-7. Keeping them in the market for a while gives them four bodies, not two, at well-separated price points.
Agreed. If the K-x were not selling well, it would already be available everywhere in the low $400 range. My guess is that since Pentax typically has 2 body production lines, they churned out as much internal K-x components as they possibly could, and will stock the internals and continue to make the plastic body mouldings with different colors until the stocked components run out.
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
I am looking for a K-x for my wife. I would like to know if you think the prices will go down even more between now and Christmas or if I should buy it now?
Sylber
As you are from Quebec , here were you can find the best price in Canada. I bought with Newegg.ca. Be aware about warranty. If the shop or Camera is from the USA or anywere else than Canada , warranty is 1 year
If you look at the best deal now for the kit with one less , it's black photo, in Quebec that Astral
Pentax K-x with 18-55mm Kit - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

Also Prodigital is very good and have very good comments

Boutiques eBay à eBay Canada: Retrouvez les résultats pour Prodigital2000