Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 117
my Pentax Kx viewfinder is blurry?

Hi all,

All of a sudden the viewfinder on my Kx apears to be blurry. I can't read the +/- Ev readout properly (or the focal length or shutter speed) to correctly expose the shot and have to resort to looking at the 2.7" screen instead which is extremely annoying.

Just wondered if others have found this, what may be the cause and/or fix?

The camera has not been near water at all so I don't think that it is condensation. The Kx is only about 3 months old and everything else works perfectly and the photos are still fine. Just can't see clearly through the viewfinder.

feedback appreciated, thanks.

10-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member
jaieger's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 586
You probably accidentally shifted the diopter. Try moving the the little slider at the top of the viewfinder around till it's sharp again (:
10-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
Silly question, but is the viewfinder eyepiece dirty? Like with finger prints etc. Or is there some condensation?

cheers
10-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pluto
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
You probably accidentally shifted the diopter. Try moving the the little slider at the top of the viewfinder around till it's sharp again (:
Agree with you!
the slide bar to adjust for one who wear glasses

10-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 117
Original Poster
thanks guys. nope, viewfinder is clean of fingerprints.

Will try adjusting the diopter and hopefully that will be an easy fix.
10-11-2010, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19
I have trouble with the viewfinder as well. I see perfect close up but most of the time the viewfinder is quite blurry. I see it best when the diopter is slid to the right most side, and then I see OK for a few seconds, but for some reason my eye adjusts and it's back to being kinda blurry and moving the slider to the left any makes it completely unreadable.

Wish they'd offer more sliding to the right
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian
jackassp's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 795
QuoteOriginally posted by RUSBoris Quote
I have trouble with the viewfinder as well. I see perfect close up but most of the time the viewfinder is quite blurry. I see it best when the diopter is slid to the right most side, and then I see OK for a few seconds, but for some reason my eye adjusts and it's back to being kinda blurry and moving the slider to the left any makes it completely unreadable.

Wish they'd offer more sliding to the right
I think you might need a pet Labrador? (just joking)
10-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by RUSBoris Quote
I have trouble with the viewfinder as well. I see perfect close up but most of the time the viewfinder is quite blurry. I see it best when the diopter is slid to the right most side, and then I see OK for a few seconds, but for some reason my eye adjusts and it's back to being kinda blurry and moving the slider to the left any makes it completely unreadable.

Wish they'd offer more sliding to the right
Me three.

Maybe we suffer the same vision impairment at that focal length.
(Fwiw: I use my left, because my right eye is hopeless.)

I wonder which eye most people use for the viewfinder?

.R.

If it helps, October 15 is International White Cane Day.


Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-11-2010 at 10:48 PM.
10-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by RUSBoris Quote
I have trouble with the viewfinder as well. I see perfect close up but most of the time the viewfinder is quite blurry. I see it best when the diopter is slid to the right most side, and then I see OK for a few seconds, but for some reason my eye adjusts and it's back to being kinda blurry and moving the slider to the left any makes it completely unreadable.

Wish they'd offer more sliding to the right
Seriously, i think it means you need more diopter range. Seems to me i've seen devices that clip on the viewfinder to help with it, but i don't remember the details - keep on looking or perhaps someone knows more than i.
10-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Senior Member
akanarya's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Çankırı, Turkey
Posts: 210
if mirror is dirty, do you advice to clean it with a lenspen?
or another method?
10-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 117
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
You probably accidentally shifted the diopter. Try moving the the little slider at the top of the viewfinder around till it's sharp again (:
Just got home and you're correct, I had accidently knocked the slider to the far left position. Put the slider back in the central position and its crystal clear again. Thanks for such a simple fix
10-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by WA-surfer Quote
Just got home and you're correct, I had accidently knocked the slider to the far left position. Put the slider back in the central position and its crystal clear again. Thanks for such a simple fix
Hah! That'll teach you for downing too many stubbies of Swan Lager.

.R.
10-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,801
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Seriously, i think it means you need more diopter range. Seems to me i've seen devices that clip on the viewfinder to help with it, but i don't remember the details - keep on looking or perhaps someone knows more than i.
Pentax offer a viewfinder accessory called 'Pentax Diopter Correction Lens Adaptor M'

This accessory adjusts the diopter and is installed on the viewfinder. If it is difficult to see the viewfinder image clearly, choose one of the seven correction lens adapters M -4 to +3m (-1) (per metre). In Australia it retails for about $AUD 46.

There's a thread here about it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/87253-stronger...tion-lens.html
10-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai, India
Photos: Albums
Posts: 253
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Me three.

Maybe we suffer the same vision impairment at that focal length.
(Fwiw: I use my left, because my right eye is hopeless.)

I wonder which eye most people use for the viewfinder?

.R.

If it helps, October 15 is International White Cane Day.
Me Four

I don't wear glasses but find that the slider is to the right of the middle. So, there is scope for moving the slider even more and the center to be shifted right
I use my right eye, btw. I will see how it is with my left eye

-Siva
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax offer a viewfinder accessory called 'Pentax Diopter Correction Lens Adaptor M'

This accessory adjusts the diopter and is installed on the viewfinder. If it is difficult to see the viewfinder image clearly, choose one of the seven correction lens adapters M -4 to +3m (-1) (per metre). In Australia it retails for about $AUD 46.

There's a thread here about it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/87253-stronger...tion-lens.html
Interesting. How do you know which # you need? Quick Google only brings one aus place that sells it (and no US) and they ask the exact number to ship.

Just guess? Seems odd
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, kx, photography, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*ist blurry viewfinder repair replacement korimako Maintenance and Repair Articles 4 11-11-2011 04:52 AM
LX blurry viewfinder at the extremes - please help slawek Pentax Film SLR Discussion 12 09-30-2010 11:37 AM
*ist blurry viewfinder repair replacement korimako Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-28-2010 11:36 AM
Ist DL Viewfinder display/symbols blurry loudel Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-28-2010 03:53 AM
1st of many ?'s (Pentax 1:2 50mm & blurry photos) lapeen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 08-24-2007 06:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top