Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #1

my Pentax Kx viewfinder is blurry?

Hi all,

All of a sudden the viewfinder on my Kx apears to be blurry. I can't read the +/- Ev readout properly (or the focal length or shutter speed) to correctly expose the shot and have to resort to looking at the 2.7" screen instead which is extremely annoying.

Just wondered if others have found this, what may be the cause and/or fix?

The camera has not been near water at all so I don't think that it is condensation. The Kx is only about 3 months old and everything else works perfectly and the photos are still fine. Just can't see clearly through the viewfinder.

feedback appreciated, thanks.

10-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You probably accidentally shifted the diopter. Try moving the the little slider at the top of the viewfinder around till it's sharp again (:
10-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silly question, but is the viewfinder eyepiece dirty? Like with finger prints etc. Or is there some condensation?

cheers
10-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
You probably accidentally shifted the diopter. Try moving the the little slider at the top of the viewfinder around till it's sharp again (:
Agree with you!
the slide bar to adjust for one who wear glasses

10-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks guys. nope, viewfinder is clean of fingerprints.

Will try adjusting the diopter and hopefully that will be an easy fix.
10-11-2010, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #6

I have trouble with the viewfinder as well. I see perfect close up but most of the time the viewfinder is quite blurry. I see it best when the diopter is slid to the right most side, and then I see OK for a few seconds, but for some reason my eye adjusts and it's back to being kinda blurry and moving the slider to the left any makes it completely unreadable.

Wish they'd offer more sliding to the right
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RUSBoris Quote
I have trouble with the viewfinder as well. I see perfect close up but most of the time the viewfinder is quite blurry. I see it best when the diopter is slid to the right most side, and then I see OK for a few seconds, but for some reason my eye adjusts and it's back to being kinda blurry and moving the slider to the left any makes it completely unreadable.

I think you might need a pet Labrador? (just joking)

10-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Me three.

Maybe we suffer the same vision impairment at that focal length.
(Fwiw: I use my left, because my right eye is hopeless.)

I wonder which eye most people use for the viewfinder?

.R.

If it helps, October 15 is International White Cane Day.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-11-2010 at 10:48 PM.
10-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Seriously, i think it means you need more diopter range. Seems to me i've seen devices that clip on the viewfinder to help with it, but i don't remember the details - keep on looking or perhaps someone knows more than i.
10-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #10

if mirror is dirty, do you advice to clean it with a lenspen?
or another method?
10-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Just got home and you're correct, I had accidently knocked the slider to the far left position. Put the slider back in the central position and its crystal clear again. Thanks for such a simple fix
10-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WA-surfer Quote
Just got home and you're correct, I had accidently knocked the slider to the far left position. Put the slider back in the central position and its crystal clear again. Thanks for such a simple fix
Hah! That'll teach you for downing too many stubbies of Swan Lager.

.R.
10-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Seriously, i think it means you need more diopter range. Seems to me i've seen devices that clip on the viewfinder to help with it, but i don't remember the details - keep on looking or perhaps someone knows more than i.
Pentax offer a viewfinder accessory called 'Pentax Diopter Correction Lens Adaptor M'

This accessory adjusts the diopter and is installed on the viewfinder. If it is difficult to see the viewfinder image clearly, choose one of the seven correction lens adapters M -4 to +3m (-1) (per metre). In Australia it retails for about $AUD 46.

There's a thread here about it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/87253-stronger...tion-lens.html
10-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Me three.

Maybe we suffer the same vision impairment at that focal length.
(Fwiw: I use my left, because my right eye is hopeless.)

I wonder which eye most people use for the viewfinder?

.R.

If it helps, October 15 is International White Cane Day.
Me Four

I don't wear glasses but find that the slider is to the right of the middle. So, there is scope for moving the slider even more and the center to be shifted right
I use my right eye, btw. I will see how it is with my left eye

-Siva
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax offer a viewfinder accessory called 'Pentax Diopter Correction Lens Adaptor M'

This accessory adjusts the diopter and is installed on the viewfinder. If it is difficult to see the viewfinder image clearly, choose one of the seven correction lens adapters M -4 to +3m (-1) (per metre). In Australia it retails for about $AUD 46.

There's a thread here about it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/87253-stronger...tion-lens.html
Interesting. How do you know which # you need? Quick Google only brings one aus place that sells it (and no US) and they ask the exact number to ship.

Just guess? Seems odd