Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #1

Problem setting exposure with K-7

I have started to experience issues trying to set the exposure settings on the K-7 (using DA 18-55 WR). The problem is present in M. Essentially the camera will not allow me to adjust the aperture, the shutter speed, or the ISO. Sometimes it will allow me to adjust up or down a stop, but not too often. I have read the manual, but I didn't find it too helpful.

The actions I have taken: I have reset the camera to factory settings, recharged the battery, updated the firmware, unmounted and remounted the lens, and told the camera not to save settings.

I'm really not sure what else to do. This has happened both when taking night shots and shots in the afternoon (not that it should matter). Does anyone have any suggestions?

10-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #2

Hi,

I've had the same problem (as have others) and I believe the problem is with the front and rear selector dials. I first removed the battery (to prevent any possible problem shorting out something electrical) and gave a quick shot of CRC QD(quick drying) Electronic Cleaner into the dial ( I angled the spray straw to point away from the camera body), then worked the dial ten or twelve clicks in one direction and then the same in the opposite direction.

I did the same to the rear dial and then replaced the battery, fired up the camera and the selector dials did what they're supposed to do. While the rear selector dial was perfect, the front dial would still skip or restart from a higher setting, so I gave it a second cleaning.

I've read where some others have used simple compressed air, but not having any handy I tried the CRC cleaner and had good results.

I would suspect that a film of some sort is preventing contact or shorting the electrical contacts within the dial, but reguardless of that, the cleaning trick seems to work for most.
Others with this same problem have sent their camera in for replacement of the dials.
Of course, if your camera is still under warrenty then proceed at your own risk or return the body for dial replacement.

Nick
10-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Nick,

Thanks for the advice. I tried canned air to no avail. If I don't hear other suggestions soon, I'll contact Pentax. This is somewhat frustrating/disappointing seeing as how I have had the camera for about two weeks.

Todd
10-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a New camera? If so, return it for exchange.

Otherwise, let's go through the drill. Can you adjust shutter speed and aperture in Tv and Av? How about Tav? What happens to any of them if you swap the function of the e-dials (in the custom menu)?

10-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
It is a new camera, but B&H has a 15 day policy, I missed it by about 2 days. I emailed them just in case they are feel generous. Tv and Av give the same problem. I switched the function of the e-dials. It appears that the rear dial is barely responsive. The front dial works somewhat, sometimes instead of decreasing the shutterspeed, it will increase it.
10-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sceadgugenga Quote
It is a new camera, but B&H has a 15 day policy, I missed it by about 2 days. I emailed them just in case they are feel generous. Tv and Av give the same problem. I switched the function of the e-dials. It appears that the rear dial is barely responsive. The front dial works somewhat, sometimes instead of decreasing the shutterspeed, it will increase it.
I cannot speak directly for B&H but that policy is common and usually intended to discourage the try then return crowd. I would be very surprised if they didn't agree to replace the camera in this case. You aren't asking for a refund, just a working (new) camera.

10-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sceadgugenga Quote
I have started to experience issues trying to set the exposure settings on the K-7 (using DA 18-55 WR). The problem is present in M. Essentially the camera will not allow me to adjust the aperture, the shutter speed, or the ISO. Sometimes it will allow me to adjust up or down a stop, but not too often. I have read the manual, but I didn't find it too helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What I've done 8 months ago is programming the dials first. I remember I set front dial to change EV in Av mode and change exposure time in M mode. Rear dial always set for aperture. Have you done that? It's 3 am here, my eyes crippled to re-check the camera or the manual,

10-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help! B&H issued an RMA and I sent the camera back to them. Hopefully I will receive a working replacement soon.