Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax bodies' lens-changing ergonomics. Clearly superior?

I find changing lenses on a Pentax very comfortable and natural (hold grip as usual, use pinkie to release lens and twist off with left hand). When playing with Canikons I find lens changing very awkward (palm potentially all over the screen, dangerously poor and uncomfortable grip of the camera).

I would have thought this was design 101. Am I missing something?

10-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not really... I'm sure it's part of the cause of "those" users preferring zooms!
10-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon's way is pretty akward, too, IMO...
The lens catch button is on the other side of the mount in regard to the Pentax way, so you have to press it with the hand holding the lens, while rotating the lens...

By the way, with its current location, this little button is great for the catch-in-focus trick with FA/DA lenses (just hold it while focusing, the motor will spin without driving the lens, and the camera will take the shot only when it detects focus).
10-11-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

yes, defintely! for me this is another great PLUS for the pentaxes! I cannot believe, that any serious manufactuere would change the position of the release button. when changing lenese on the k20 it simply feels confident as you can hold the camera on its holding grip and not having to change this position. this gives great security which is essential in handling expensive equippment. just imagine what happens when the camera and/or the lens slips off your hand ...

THANK YOU PENTAX!

greetings, Flo

10-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Absolutely, IMHO. I think Pentax is the only brand with the release on that side of the mount, and it makes changing lenses a breeze, without needing to change one's hold on the camera. It's especially convenient when using a hand strap.
10-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
By the way, with its current location, this little button is great for the catch-in-focus trick with FA/DA lenses (just hold it while focusing, the motor will spin without driving the lens, and the camera will take the shot only when it detects focus).
Does this trick work on the K-x? It's an awesome trick if it does. Thanks for the tip.
10-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #7

why would you want to use catch in focus on a autofocus lens? the whole point of catch in focus is for manual focus lenses surely or am i missing something

10-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Macro shots could benefit from CIF.
10-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
Does this trick work on the K-x? It's an awesome trick if it does. Thanks for the tip.
Well, AFAIK, this works with any Pentax body, even going back to the film days...
But remember that the motor will sporadically spin while you're doing this. So you should avoid releasing the locking button while doing this, or the AF shaft will spring back into position and connect with the lens (with your hand still firmly clamped over the focus ring ).
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Strangely, i preferred the Canon way, where the mount lock was at 5 o'clock as you look at the body, rather than 7 o'clock on the Pentax.

This is only due to the fact that i have more accuracy / feel in my right hand,.. so i would hold the camera in the left, use pinky to press mount lock, and de-couple / couple lens with the right hand.
10-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, AFAIK, this works with any Pentax body, even going back to the film days... But remember that the motor will sporadically spin while you're doing this. So you should avoid releasing the locking button while doing this, or the AF shaft will spring back into position and connect with the lens (with your hand still firmly clamped over the focus ring ).
Huh, I see what you mean. One has to be careful using this trick.
10-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, AFAIK, this works with any Pentax body, even going back to the film days...
But remember that the motor will sporadically spin while you're doing this. So you should avoid releasing the locking button while doing this, or the AF shaft will spring back into position and connect with the lens (with your hand still firmly clamped over the focus ring ).
Isn't there also an increased risk of dropping the lens?
10-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Isn't there also an increased risk of dropping the lens?
Well, as you're graping the lens' focus ring, not really...
10-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Coming from a Minolta X700 SLR, I found it very awkward to change lenses. Still not 100% used to it, except for the screw mounts
10-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
why would you want to use catch in focus on a autofocus lens? the whole point of catch in focus is for manual focus lenses surely or am i missing something
Catch in focus (and manual focus in general) can be useful when auto focus can't manage. For example, if you are trying to photograph fast-moving cars, the auto focus may not be quick enough. Instead you can manually focus on where the the car is going to be, enable catch in focus, and then the camera will take the picture when the car reaches that spot.