Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5/K-r images guide

What to do when you are the first to get your dirty hands on a Pentax K-5 or K-r.

Firstly. I will go through the do nots.
Do not post pictures of pets. (pet peeve)
Do not post flat well exposed scenes at high ISO. (please do not do a High ISO test in well lit conditions)..... although there are uses for these they are not typical.
Do not post High ISO shots in almost complete darkness. Again, they can be usable, but not typical.
Do not miss out an ISO, EG, here is ISO 100, 400 and 51200. what about the rest of them.
Do not use shots that are out of focus. no point. as there is lack of detail, how can we tell if its noise or detail we see.
Do not sharpen
Do not noise reduce unless you are really good at it and have experience.... Most times it just looks bad when done wrong.
Do not post SR tests.....Yes, we can all get lucky sometimes.

What do we really want.
ISO 80/100/200 shots in bright contrast light.
ISO 12800/25600/51200 shots in contrasty incandescent light. well exposed
People shots......sharp.... the sharpest lens at the optimal aperture.
Comparisons with your old camera, not the one you held for a minute.
18-135 lens test, although there are some samples floating around.
PTTL test if you can.

Oh, and shoot DNG.

Do whatever you want, but if you are posting for others to make some kind of assesment then please try to stick to useful things...

This is only for IQ...
The rest of the camera please post as much as you can, every impression usually has some meaning.

10-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do nots:
Take pictures at all iso to satisfy the slumbering mass of people waiting to buy the camera if its good enough instead of taking the plunge themself

Do:
Go out and enjoy your new camera in real life
10-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Do not post pictures of pets. (pet peeve)
OK we'll call that the pet peeve clause

But, hey, "lets be careful out there."

PS. If you weren't intending to buy the 18-135 that is no excuse.
10-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Do nots:
Take pictures at all iso to satisfy the slumbering mass of people waiting to buy the camera if its good enough instead of taking the plunge themself

Do:
Go out and enjoy your new camera in real life
People that read forums.........us............ are people that like to do tests and comparisons.
I would normally agree that going out and taking real pictures is the best thing for everyone...... But knowing most people on here, that is the thing they would do after doing some tests...... worst case scenario. The tests come after a few hours of play.

My gripe is that if people are going to do it.... then do it properly..... Review sites will take care of the rest (real tests)

10-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm just going to shoot and post my (likely heavily processed) results. Tests are a waste of time--I leave that to the pros.
10-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #6

how about a pic of a pet in low light when it's moving real fast.....
10-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hey, Steelski. Hope you don't mind but I just replaced all the "we" with "I" in your post.
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hey, Steelski. Hope you don't mind but I just replaced all the "we" with "I" in your post.
Funny, my original post stands. without the I's
This is partly a joke thread.. So lighten up.
but its also serious. If you want to post images that are intended to show actual properties of the camera then use typical conditions, dont force an ISO in an unnatural setting.
Its the first thing people will tell you after you posted.... its too light, its too dark, overexposed, clipped, processed, unprocessed, wrong, right.
Simple rules for posting a test of something.
For example, If I was testing ISO 6400, I would try it in a bar environment where the light is fairly even but not strong. OR something simulating this effect, soft shadows low light. No point it testing it with harsh shadows strong light. One will turn out really well exposed whilst the shadows will be black. Or in other words, not testing.

And for people who will post really processed photos, great, we can see an end result. But again, if you are doing it for testing purposes, show a before and after.

At the end of the day, do what you want. I do, but if it turns out that people point out the obvious, then you only have your overeager self to blame. Take your time, relax, have a Whiskey, then take a picture of the half empty bottle. with your new K-r/5

10-11-2010, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I'd be grateful for any and all of the early shots from these new cameras, I dont care what the settings or the subject matter, if someone takes the time to post photos then I say "terrific, thanks!". To complain seems to me ... kind of ..... rude. It's not like people get paid to photo photos here.
10-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #10

This thread is so funny...
Photo forums are so predictable! People know exactly what will happen when the user tests start to show up, so they post their critique even before it actually happens. Its like some sort of "who complains first" competition
10-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shnikus Quote
This thread is so funny...
Photo forums are so predictable! People know exactly what will happen when the user tests start to show up, so they post their critique even before it actually happens. Its like some sort of "who complains first" competition
I think I won....... Maybee after OGL. He complains hardest.

But yeah, I think you got the jist of what will happen.
10-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #12
Col
Veteran Member

I did like the idea of pet peeves, and cutting off early image complaints at the pass.

I always disliked much of the criticism thrown at early adopters' images. In many cases they read more like "how dare you get the latest xyz ahead of me, it is clearly wasted on you..."