Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Your right, it's not. Nor is 20% on the price of a television, or for that matter your fall wardrobe. But the long term cost to your wealth of that short term 20% savings is staggering. The value of the US dollar is dropping. Unemployment is through the roof. The US trade deficit for the month of July was 42.8 Billion, and that was actually a considerable improvement from the month before. Manufacturing jobs have all but left the country. Do you really think we would still be in this recession if we were a self sufficient country?

Everybody keeps wanting more for less. At some point it will come back around to bite us all in the ass. Don't worry though - you won't really feel the effects until your brother is sleeping on the couch because he cant find a job, despite his considerable experience and college education. If that isn't an obvious or immediate enough example for you, then just take a look at US prices for Pentax lenses over the last couple of years. Now you are paying 40-60% more, and you have no choice but to buy online. Don't worry though, the rest of the products you buy will increase that same 40-60% really soon, no matter where you buy them. I sure hope you invested that $300 you saved on a camera 5 years ago wisely, because you are going to need it to fill your stomach and your gas tank.

I do agree on one thing though, Wolf Camera sucks. Go to a real camera store.

I hear you. I'd be willing to pay more for things if I felt like it would really make a difference. Just like I'd be willing to pay more tax if I actually believed the money would be put to good use. Somehow I doubt paying more for a Japanese camera will have any effect on the economy

But hey, my salary has only increased 4% in the last 4 years...yeah, I have a job, but I'm not even outpacing inflation. That's a major reason why people like me try to save money any way they can. In a perfect world, we'd all buy locally, recycle everything, etc. It's not a perfect world.

Do you practice what you preach? I'm just wondering how you can do that.

10-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
When I was first shopping for a DSLR a couple of years ago, photographer friends advised me to either get the Canon or the Nikon, whichever handled better. So I went to the only local photography specialty shop in town intending to do just that. I checked out the entry level C and N models.

They also had the Pentax lineup. The K200D was so much more enjoyable to operate, and I dug the unconventional engineering approach (in body shake reduction, weather sealing, AA's). I would not have bought the Pentax without that experience.

Last time I was in the store, They had no current models - a few old bodies and lenses. I asked if they carried or could get the DA40. The sales person said they didn't carry Pentax P&S cameras any more.

Sad.
This is the issue for me, exactly. I'm going to stay out of the whole can stores survive thing. That's not the issue to me. The issue is, when people ask me what brand to buy, I tell people do research, know what features are important to them, and then go and handle them and see which feels best to them. Ergonomics is big to me. If anyone follows my advice, they won't get a Pentax, because there is no store in the entire state I live in that stocks Pentax. Everyone stocks Canon and Nikon.
10-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
There is no store in the entire state I live in that stocks Pentax. Everyone stocks Canon and Nikon.
This is by design. I'm sure CaNikon pay good money for this exclusive representation. Unfortunately, I feel it is essential that a Pentax be held for someone to appreciate what it brings to the table. I was drawn to Pentax for the same reason: the "out of the box" design decisions, and the price/performance.

Although, funny story. I have a Canon friend, who asked to try out my camera (K20d). He is the only pro I know well, and shoots with a 5D Mk II. He told me after a few minutes that the camera was confusing to operate he hated the layout. I, on the other hand, find myself setting the camera between shots with just one hand. So I suppose it's all what you know.
10-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
This is another example of how Pentaxians in the New York City metropolitan area can't complain: We have the brick-and-mortar stores of both B&H and Adorama at our disposal... and the Internet prices are pretty much what you find in the store. Just add sales tax, of course.

For Canon and Nikon, you can pretty much shop at any major electronics retailer, just like everywhere else. However, if you want anything beyond the kit lenses, you still have to find a very good, dedicated camera shop.
There is a "yes but" to this. The "just add sales tax of course" line. Sales tax in NYC is 8.75% so, yes I get to play with my new toy on the subway ride home, but end up spending over 8% more than 'youse guys'. On a $1500 camera that amounts to over $130. TBH I actually envy those of you who can avoid the sales tax.

NaCl(on the other side, when I walk into Adorama I get greeted with "Hey Pentax guy!" )H2O

10-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Hi guys,

Good news. If you are in the Seattle/Tacoma area then you must visit Robi's Camera Center in Tacoma, WA. They have a huge supply of Pentax bodies and lenses and the staff is very knowledgeable. They respect Pentax and they do not try to sway you to Canikon. Good store!!

Robi's Camera Center, LABs, and Custom Framing
10-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I hear you. I'd be willing to pay more for things if I felt like it would really make a difference. Just like I'd be willing to pay more tax if I actually believed the money would be put to good use. Somehow I doubt paying more for a Japanese camera will have any effect on the economy
What does the camera being made in Japan have anything to do with it? The money has already gone overseas for the camera before it's even been a thought in your mind.
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

We have decent Pentax availability in northern VA from Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA. Mo (the owner) and several of the salesman shoot Pentax to some extent or other even though they do obviously push Canon and Nikon (really understandable) to the sheep. One interesting note, rumor is they stand a good chance of being one of the 5-10 U.S. dealers to get the 645D.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-12-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
10-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
What does the camera being made in Japan have anything to do with it? The money has already gone overseas for the camera before it's even been a thought in your mind.
I was talking about the whole "buy made the USA things" idea.
10-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Buying sight unseen is not something I'm afraid of. I've done it a number of times and with high ticket items, including my K-x two lens kit. Yes, I'm in a large metro area (S.F. Bay). Many times the best items are not to be found in the stores. I do my homework, and I can't remember being disappointed. I did find a Pentax lens locally via Craigslist, and could have backed out of the deal when meeting with the seller, but it seemed as described, "as new."
10-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
This is the issue for me, exactly. I'm going to stay out of the whole can stores survive thing. That's not the issue to me. The issue is, when people ask me what brand to buy, I tell people do research, know what features are important to them, and then go and handle them and see which feels best to them. Ergonomics is big to me. If anyone follows my advice, they won't get a Pentax, because there is no store in the entire state I live in that stocks Pentax. Everyone stocks Canon and Nikon.
I asked a friend of mine what DSLR I should be thinking about. He's worked in camera stores for many years, is a photography bug (he does film), and he told me to strongly consider Pentax. We're in the S.F. Bay area, close to S.F., and I think he's worked mainly S.F. stores. We didn't discuss it much, but I imagine he was aware of the fact that I wasn't apt to find Pentax locally. I did buy Pentax, but I did my research and buying online. I've read dozens of posts by people advocating checking out cameras' ergonomics hands-on before making a decision, but having decided on Pentax, that wasn't an option. Anyway, I wasn't familiar enough with digital cameras where a hands-on comparison would be all that helpful. Well, that was my thinking. I don't regret my decision. I've handled the stuff they have at Costco, the Canons, Nikons, Sonys (all "entry level") and I wasn't impressed. I certainly never dreamed that a clerk in any store (camera or big box) would be able to provide particularly helpful information to guide my getting into the DSLR realm.
10-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #41

I am in Chandler Az and had a heck of a time finding a K-7 let alone any other Pentax. The only place that I could find that had any Pentax (the K-7) was Fry's Electronics. I would not buy it there since it was $100 over B&H plus they are not photo specific and did not feel comfortable getting it there. It was a little irritating not finding anything at first but at least I got to put my hands on the K-7 before I ordered it.
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I suppose that depends on how much you value a low local unemployment rate.

QuoteQuote:
But hey, my salary has only increased 4% in the last 4 years...yeah, I have a job, but I'm not even outpacing inflation. That's a major reason why people like me try to save money any way they can. In a perfect world, we'd all buy locally, recycle everything, etc. It's not a perfect world.
But your money saving measures (and those of everyone else) are exactly what is sending this economy right down the drain. I am well aware that this world is not perfect, but is that any reason to roll over and play dead? The right thing to do is not always easy or cheap. Using "everybody else is doing it" as a justification is a bit childish. Are you going to jump off a bridge too? Lead by example, not by saying "I'll do the right thing if you do the right thing."

QuoteQuote:
Do you practice what you preach? I'm just wondering how you can do that.
As much as I reasonably can. My last two new camera bodies and my last three new lenses all came from Ritz stores. I would have rather bought them from a mom & pop shop, but they were all long gone by that point, except one that refuses to even acknowledge the existence of Pentax. I'm not sure what I'm going to do the next time I go to buy new gear. I can get bodies and the DA WR's from Fry's, but if I want something else I'm kind of screwed. Sorry, I will not put up with the smug, condescending jerks at Samy's, especially considering that they are convinced that Pentax is out of business.

The same goes when I buy electronics; I have no choice but to choose between Best Buy and Fry's, because all of the mom & pop shops are long gone. There are many more options when it comes to computers though.

I try to buy american made whenever I can, but it just keeps getting harder. I spent four days looking around for american made blue jeans this spring before I gave up. I think I officially quit when I found out that Carhart clothing is now made overseas. Sure, I could go to American Apparel, but I don't want to dress as though I am always headed to a nightclub.

I'm not suggesting that anyone bend over and take it. If you are shopping locally, try to get them to price match, or at least meet you half way. Don't shop in stores where they treat you poorly, instead shop in the ones that treat you right and hire knowledgeable staff. Just be aware that keeping that store open costs something.
10-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #43

I think Ultimate Electronics here in the Denver area still carries Pentax but I'm not sure. I know that Mike's Camera, where I bought my Zx-L, my *ist DL and my K10D, will special order Pentax stuff but no longer carries it. They have a large selection of Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony and Leica(!) but these days there are a few lonely lenses and a Promaster K1000 clone. I bought my *ist DL and my K10D there even though they were around $100 more than Adorama. I am one of those people who will not spend north of $1000 on a camera without holding it first so sadly it means my next camera will not be a Pentax since I do not plan on going to NY or Chicago just to buy a camera.
10-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
I think Ultimate Electronics here in the Denver area still carries Pentax but I'm not sure. I know that Mike's Camera, where I bought my Zx-L, my *ist DL and my K10D, will special order Pentax stuff but no longer carries it. They have a large selection of Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony and Leica(!) but these days there are a few lonely lenses and a Promaster K1000 clone. I bought my *ist DL and my K10D there even though they were around $100 more than Adorama. I am one of those people who will not spend north of $1000 on a camera without holding it first so sadly it means my next camera will not be a Pentax since I do not plan on going to NY or Chicago just to buy a camera.
Going to Chicago will do you no good. Hence the thread.
10-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #45
Veteran Member

By the way, there is a small chain of camera stores around Omaha that is starting to carry Pentax.