Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Pentax K-x issue with "shade" WB

Hi all. New dSLR and photography newbie here.

Got the K x last week and really loving it. But I do have one small issue.

When I select "shade" as the white balance, the picture ALWAYS comes out very warm and very golden.

The pictures I tried taking it with were all in the shade (both subject and camera). I never once was in a situation where shade provided a good WB, not even close. Thankfully manual WB adjustment is wonderful and auto WB does a great job as well (but usually just a wee bit cold).

So, any idea what's going on here?

10-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try changing the color space from sRGB to AdobeRGB. I don't know why, colors didn't seem right to me with the K-x in sRGB, but they look very nice in AdobeRGB. (Initially, like you, I thought it was the WB, because sRGB was fine with my previous camera, a K200d.) It's just a suggestion...
10-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are in open shade outdoors (or your subject is), the sky is providing the light for your picture. The sky is blue and will give you blue shaded light. If you were to use daylight WB, your pictures will be cool in color.

The shade WB setting increases the yellow to compensate.
10-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Try changing the color space from sRGB to AdobeRGB. I don't know why, colors didn't seem right to me with the K-x in sRGB, but they look very nice in AdobeRGB. (Initially, like you, I thought it was the WB, because sRGB was fine with my previous camera, a K200d.) It's just a suggestion...
He'd have to change it back to post online, or to print.

10-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
He'd have to change it back to post online, or to print.
It's on my monitor that AdobeRGB works for me.
10-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
It's on my monitor that AdobeRGB works for me.
That doesn't help you when you go to post the picture online when all browsers that aren't color managed (99.9% of them) won't display the picture properly, or when you print it, or send it out to be printed and those devices only understand sRGB.