Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CA trick with non Pentax lenses?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had come across or invented a way to fool Pentax bodies into applying the inbuilt CA correction option onto non Pentax lenses? I do appreciate that PP can remove it - just wondering if there was some fudge I wasn't aware of.

Cheers

10-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From memory, CA correction parameters are stored in the lens (except for a few FA ltd)... So, I'm afraid it's not possible, as 3rd party lenses would likely not have these parameters, and there is little chance they share the FA ltd parameters...
10-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #3

One oddity I have noticed is that while the Pentax DA18-250 does the distortion and aberration corrections, the almost identical Tamron 18-250 does not but it does have the same delay between taking the picture and the image appearing on the screen that occurs with Pentax lenses while the corrections are being applied. I have not noticed a similar delay with any of my other non Pentax lenses.

I seem to remember reading that a recent firmware update allowed the camera to apply correction to recently released Pentax lenses.

It may be that the information needed for the corrections is held in the firmware in the camera body and the only information the camera needs from the lens is its make and identification. If this is the case then a firmware modification might make it possible to correct aberrations in non Pentax cameras.

It is unlikely that Pentax would do this but there might be an ingenious hacker somewhere who could.
10-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, didn't think there was an obvious trick, but if you don't try you'll never get . I'm guessing these Pentax lenses have some sort of electronic signature or something, I wonder how these are stored. I didn't think they had chips inside them?

10-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As I stated in this other thread, with my Tamron 17-50 as well as my Tamron 18-250 on my K-7, the CA/Distortion correcting can be enabled. Not sure about any other third party lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/117958-tamron-1...rrections.html

Jason
10-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Thanks, didn't think there was an obvious trick, but if you don't try you'll never get . I'm guessing these Pentax lenses have some sort of electronic signature or something, I wonder how these are stored. I didn't think they had chips inside them?
No idea about chips, but must be some sort of embedded information since most of the time in a decent EXIF viewer, the lens shows up correctly as model number. brand, etc.

Jason
10-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I have the Sigma 150-500 attached to my K-x, the info screen show the lens correction as being enabled. Hmmmm....