Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree with Steve, the best way to reduce waste is to reduce spending. The more we buy the more we have to dispose of. That is easier said than done, though.

09-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Not jumping in your petrol guzzling heavy four wheel drive to take some photos.
hey, i can't help it, i poor, not enough money to buy fancy new car.
09-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Don't be so sure about this, Every compact flourescent contains mercury, There is also lead and other heavy metals in the electronic ballast, plastics in the mount... the list goes on and on.

When you consider how many of these will wind up in land fills leaching back into ground water, we are simply shifting our pollution problem to something different.

While they (CF) along with LEDs are more efficient, we need to get the recycling process sorted out.
That's why you take them to household hazardous waste dispoal points like you are supposed to with regular flourescents. I also suspect with wal-mart making a big push with them as well as attempts to mandate efficient lighting by law, we'll wind up with drop-off points like you get for used motor oil at the auto-parts stores. Especially with the ever increasing price of metals, recycling of metals will be more worthwhile.

However, lead is a red herring concern. It doesn't really leach into groundwater unless it is combined with the right stuff. Worst case scenario is that local vegitation picks up more lead, and you might not want to eat it or breath the smoke if you burn it. But even that takes pretty high levels.

The mercury is more of an issue.

One of the other major upsides to compact flourescents is lifespan. With the sylvania-lead price wars on incandescents, they had become so cheaply made that just slamming a door could burn out a bulb. I've been using them for about 5 years now, and I've had to replace two of them out of about 18 bulbs in my place. The first year I was there I used incandescents and went through about 30 bulbs in a year because they were just total crap regardless of brand. It's not like incandescent bulbs are pollution free, and I'm pretty sure even if one CF lamp is significantly more polluting than 1 incandescent, my net lamp related garbage/pollution is less with the CF lamps over time.

Which leads me to something not necessarily "green" in terms of efficiency, but envirnmentally conscious. Most people don't bother respecting rules about household hazardous waste. There's actual ya fair ammount of stuff in the home that can be disposed of safely without much hassle, but ONLY if done correctly. The regular garbage pick ups aren't the right way.
09-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
Just buy as much of your food grown locally if possible. (I am already trying this).
You have to be careful with this one. "Food Miles" is a trendy one at the moment. But, for example, it is actually better for the world environment for the British to buy New Zealand lamb and beef than their locally grown stuff because NZ meat producers are just way more efficient at it. So in spite of the environmental cost of getting it half way around the world, it's still better for the earth than them buying it from local sources.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigburb Quote
Buy a SMALL more efficient old car. Just cos it's old doesn't mean it can't be more efficient.

09-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

PopPhoto sees to think they know how to be a green photographer.How to Become a Green Photographer - - PopPhotoSeptember/October 2007
09-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
Just buy as much of your food grown locally if possible. (I am already trying this)

Instead of your car, take your bike out and pedal to a favorite picture taking site. (Love my mountain bike, except when I have the Bigma attached)
I didn't need to see your location to know you are not in Southern California
09-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigburb Quote
Depending upon what your driving you might have a more environmentally friendly car than the new models.

A least in Canada it's tough to find any compact fuel efficient pickups.
From what I can tell only Mazda and Ford still make them.

Plus in my opinion all those pollution control devices that make your car burn more fuel are doing more damage than good.
How can burning more fuel be better for the environment?

You must also look at the energy required to properly dispose of your present vehicle, and things like the dash can't be recycled, so it's sent off to the dump or burned.

Then the energy required to make a new car.

It all adds up.