Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Be a Green photographer with your Pentax DSLR

In my quest of becoming a green photographer, I have been surfing the Internet for ideas, suggestions, actual items already on the market, etc. I do think that we should all do whatever we can to become more energy efficient and at the same time, reduce the amount of waste or pollutant we, individually, add to the problem. The politicians will debate the planet's future, without doing anything concrete to fix the problems, until it is too late. Sometimes, I think it is already too late.
Go ahead, we are all awaiting your comments and suggestions.

I would be honored if you could stop by my Pentax blog and say Hi.
Pentax dslrs
--
Yvon Bourque

09-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use rechargeable batteries.
09-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

I hadn't thought about this before, but shooting digital rather than film involves no chemicals for film processing. Countering that, of course, is our use of computers, big monitors and their power consumption. So who knows what's greener!
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
In my quest of becoming a green photographer, I have been surfing the Internet for ideas, suggestions, actual items already on the market, etc. I do think that we should all do whatever we can to become more energy efficient and at the same time, reduce the amount of waste or pollutant we, individually, add to the problem. The politicians will debate the planet's future, without doing anything concrete to fix the problems, until it is too late. Sometimes, I think it is already too late.
Go ahead, we are all awaiting your comments and suggestions.

--
Yvon Bourque
Yvon, a great topic. OK1000.blogspot.com wrote on this topic this spring. Among his ideas as i recall, were rechargable batteries as already mentioned, buying prints and equipment locally to save on shipping fuels, smart electricity managment of computer equipment; he had many intriguing ideas should folks want to check it out.

09-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Not jumping in your petrol guzzling heavy four wheel drive to take some photos.
09-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #6

Just buy as much of your food grown locally if possible. (I am already trying this)

Instead of your car, take your bike out and pedal to a favorite picture taking site. (Love my mountain bike, except when I have the Bigma attached)

So many little things we can all do that will add up in helping our planet.
09-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What i would like to see done, and this really has nothing to do with photography, is to OUTLAW junk mail. If you didn't ask for it, you shouldn't have to deal with it. I bet we'd all be astounded to know how many tons of paper is wasted on this crap...Plus all the ads in the Saturday papers, i would say 75% of the Saturday paper here in St Louis is Ads...

09-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
What i would like to see done, and this really has nothing to do with photography, is to OUTLAW junk mail. If you didn't ask for it, you shouldn't have to deal with it. I bet we'd all be astounded to know how many tons of paper is wasted on this crap...Plus all the ads in the Saturday papers, i would say 75% of the Saturday paper here in St Louis is Ads...
That's because the ads work. Just like junk e-mail, the only way to stop it is to ignore it. It's the people who respond to the ads that are wrecking it for the rest of us. So stop cutting coupons.
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

While I think we should all be good stewards of the world we have been entrusted with (of course we aren't) it's demise is out of our hands - sorry, I am not a humanist, just a human. My 2cents worth
09-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Use manual focus lenses.
09-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Carpents, I do NOT respond to it, nor do I cut coupons !! At the very least they should be required to make all of the ads and junk mail out of recyclable paper.

< i recycle everything i can >
09-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
IIRC, you can go to your local post office and stop delivery of junk mail. No idea if it just gets tossed, or if they stop sending it at the bulk mailing level because you are on the list.

Beyond that, I wish that a lot of the feel good environmentalism was scrutinized more as a lot of it is neither efficient nor good for the environment.

For exmaple, most of our paper comes from farmed trees, which are sustainable, suck carbon out of the atmosphere, and require less energy, labor, and chemicals to process into usable paper compared to recycled. Recycled uses less trees, but consumes more energy, and leaves you with more pollutants to manage at the end of production. So unless we are running out of trees, why bother? Then upon further thought, I REALLY have to ask myself why we don't just burn the paper. Nobody will pay more than it costs to recycle for manufacturing, so why not sell it to burn for power. It might not be much, but it would be a carbon neutral renewable power source. WOn't power a city, but might be usable in a co-gen plant or something, and someone might actually pay to haul it away rather than just burning local tax dollars to pay someone to take it. Oh yeah ,ad after paying them to take it, if they can't find anyone to buy it, it just goes in the landfill anyway.

Glass is damn near worthless to recycle. Aluminum is a pretty good deal though, especailly cans (because they don't need to be sorted and have the alloy determined), which is why most beverages come served up in plastic now.

Another false economy is avoiding mail order. It's not like eating local seasonal food where I replace an apple from argentina with a zuchini from 25 miles away. I live within about an hours drive of B&H. I could plop my butt in the car, probably by myself, sit in traffic, drive an hour there, and an hour back. Or my item can car pool with a thousand other packages and one driver in a vehicle specially engineered to maximize UPS's profit by being fuel efficient, easy to repair, etc. Explain to me how mail order ISN'T more efficient for something that isn't around the corner. On top of that, my mail order product comes from a super efficient no-frills warehouse rather than some big box store with lots of lighting that is empty most of the day, every day, but still lighted and heated at great cost.

Compact flourescents in the home rock. As do 7-day programable smart thermostats. Both of which will pay for themselves in short order. Switching to LCDs from CRTs saved a fair ammount of electricity as well.

Then, of course, there is the best "green" producst of all: used durable goods. Because re-use beats recycling any day of the week as far as efficiency goes.

The best environmentalism pays for itself, and if you don't take advantage of it, you are just throwing money away. If the "green" product costs a lot more than the normal product, it's probably not really efficient, and thus not really all that environmentally friendly taken as a whole, but likely makes one area more efficient while making another less so. Usually with a net greater negative impact.

Last edited by raz-0; 09-11-2007 at 10:31 PM.
09-12-2007, 02:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
Compact flourescents in the home rock.
Don't be so sure about this, Every compact flourescent contains mercury, There is also lead and other heavy metals in the electronic ballast, plastics in the mount... the list goes on and on.

When you consider how many of these will wind up in land fills leaching back into ground water, we are simply shifting our pollution problem to something different.

While they (CF) along with LEDs are more efficient, we need to get the recycling process sorted out.
09-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Some of the computer companies are thinking greener. One is making more of it's computers out of aluminum instead of plastic for better recycling and using LED instead of LCD monitors to get rid of mercury vapors in some models. There does seem to be a few people paying attention.

Last edited by davemdsn; 09-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.
09-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dont' buy a new camera whenever a flashier model is released. Use your equipment till it falls apart and then recycle/salvage what you can. Buy used whenever you can. Walk to your photo shoots. Only print he best....I could go on.

[Rant ALERT] In many ways being Green is antithetical to our disposable consumer society. You can buy green as much as possible but ultimately we'll al have to reduce and stop buying so much (myself included...I guess I should practice what I preach!!) [ OK rant over.....]