Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
Forum Member

Well, there aren't many good p/s that can do higher ISO decently. I have a fujifilm finepix 31d, and it produces excellent shots at higher ISO, but it's nowhere near as good (obviously!), as the k7. I'm not a pro and I don't sell nor make large prints, but do enjoy photography as a hobby. I can easily blow up the ISO1600 shots i've taken with the k7 to 10x8 prints and they will look fantastic. Is the 5DII or D300 or whatever better? Probably. Does it matter? Not to me.

What does matter to me is the size advantage and the quietness of the operation of the K7. Picture quality is sufficient.

10-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yassarian Quote
Probably. Does it matter? Not to me.
I'm not trying to pick on your or anything, but your comment reminded me of something I remember reading about and have become the subject of experienced myself over recently...

It's a A phenomenon that seems to exist in system performance that(sort of) subconsciously induces us to act within a given set of parameters without ever acknowledging its existence. However... when those limits are either changed or raised, we find ourselves moving along with them in the same subconscious way.

ie. when I shot a D200, I limited myself to aprox. ISO1000 at which point I myself said "that's all I need" and I was perfectly happy with that. Then I upgraded that camera to a K20D, at which point ISO1600 was very good and I found myself shooting within that range as well. Today, I was shooting with a D700 which is set to shoot up to ISO6400 and I noticed myself thinking... this is great! and I'm glad to have it, its useful!

Whatever happened to the ISO1000, is indeed a mystery, but... I'm waging the K-5 will fix all that

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-13-2010 at 01:14 AM.
10-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #18
Forum Member

Oh yea, for sure that is true. I'm pretty sure if there's a usable ISO6400 setting then I will be using it. I'm not saying that the limitation isn't there - just that it isn't as big of a limitation to me.

Will I trade k7's compactness and quietness for D700's high ISO performance? For me the answer is definitely no. Now the K5 is interesting... If it performs as advertised, then I have to ask myself, is it worth it to me to spend another $1300 on a body to get higher ISO performance? Chances are, I will wait...

It is as you said - the limitation is there, but we learn to work with, and around it.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'm not trying to pick on your or anything, but your comment reminded me of something remembered reading about and experienced myself over the years.

There's an phenomenon with system performance that(sort of) subconsciously induce us to act within a given set of limits without ever acknowledging it's there. However... when the limits are either changed or removed, we find ourselves moving along with them in the same subconscious way.

ie. when I shot a D200, I limited myself to aprox. ISO1000 at which point I myself said "that's all I need" and I was perfectly happy with that. Then I upgraded that camera to a K20D, at which point ISO1600 was very good and I found myself shooting within that range as well. Today, I was shooting with a D700 which is set to shoot upto ISO6400 and I noticed myself thinking... this is great! and I'm glad to have it, its useful!

Whatever happened to the ISO1000, is indeed a mistery, but... I'm waging the K-5 will fix all that
10-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm. I am beginning to wonder if I have a bad copy. My k7 is VERY noisy from iso 400 and up, and it does bother me.

Some (most?) of my problems might come from my own technique. I suppose I tend to underexpose slightly and then increase exposure in the raw conversion - but it seems to me that I suffer a lot from blown out highligts when I don't. And then I frequently crop, because I shoot birds and I don't have enough reach. Of course cropping will make noise problems worse.

But anyway. I will try to post a few example shots and get your opinions.

10-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

As said before, the K7 got flamed because, at pixel level, it has a little bit more noise than the K20.
Then came the Kx, which had excellent high ISO, and a lot of K7 buyers and prospective buyers felt cheated.

But from experience, the K7 has a much more usable high-iso than K20, which has either a magenta border tinge (but that can be cured with GordonBGood's fix) or some banding, that are not in the K7's pics.

And then LR3/ACR6 came out with a really good (and easy) NR, and every camera just gained one iso stop...

In the end, 1600 iso is perfectly up to the task, and 3200 can be salvaged... For 4x6 shots, I'd even use 6400 in given situations.
10-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
As said before, the K7 got flamed because, at pixel level, it has a little bit more noise than the K20.
Then came the Kx, which had excellent high ISO, and a lot of K7 buyers and prospective buyers felt cheated.
Ah, how I remember those days...

Though, I think the K20D did rather well at ISO6400 despite it all:

K20D, ISO6400, in Camera JPG(no added NR or PP)
10-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #22
JHD
Veteran Member

Somebody just posted some very decent K7 images shot at ISO 6400...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/64295-pentax-high-...ml#post1219714

10-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Hmm. I am beginning to wonder if I have a bad copy. My k7 is VERY noisy from iso 400 and up, and it does bother me.

Some (most?) of my problems might come from my own technique. I suppose I tend to underexpose slightly and then increase exposure in the raw conversion - but it seems to me that I suffer a lot from blown out highligts when I don't. And then I frequently crop, because I shoot birds and I don't have enough reach. Of course cropping will make noise problems worse.

Definately a bad combination of technique.

Underexposing will definately show more noise. If anything, it's better to overexpose than underexpose. If you overexpose and pull the exposure back down in PP, you will have less noise than underexposing and pushing it up in PP.

Cropping doesn't make the noise worse. The noise stays the same, you're just making it more noticable by cropping out most of the image.
10-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote

Have you bothered to check out these?