Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax still my favourite, after forking out tousands on full frame!

I thought I'd finally make the jump and bought myself a full frame canon 5D mark 2 with grip and canon flash with 2 'L' series lenses and a sigma EX 12-24. Had it for a month now and playing around with it at home and out and about.

And I have come to a conclusion that.... i still prefer my Pentax K7!! (I also have k10D, k20D)

Don't get me wrong the canon 5D m2 is an excellent camera, but when you've been handling a pentax for years.. I can confirm that nothing is built as solid as a pentax dslr!
(The buttons feel really cheap on the canon).

Full frame is really over rated.
Unless your doing comercial photography.. stay away from full frame.

The only advantage I would have to say that canon has over the pentax is low light performance. But the only real world situation where I think the canon would have pentax beat is at wedding receptions.. but.. i would just use bounce flash anyway!

to sum it up.. Full frame is over rated! Stick with Pentax, it all boils down to technique not of sensor size.

P.S I will be taking my pentax on my next holiday to thailand and hong kong, and leaving my bulky canon at home!

10-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jubei Quote
And I have come to a conclusion that.... i still prefer my Pentax K7!! (I also have k10D, k20D)

P.S I will be taking my pentax on my next holiday to thailand and hong kong, and leaving my bulky canon at home!
What a refreshing thing to hear around here . +1.
10-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think FF is overrated, but it's definitely not a magic bullet. It does some things that APS-C can't, and there are some really nice FF bodies. My D700 is easily as solid as any Pentax camera I've used, K-7 included. But I do love them both.
10-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Raylon

But the only real world situation where I think the canon would have pentax beat is at wedding receptions..
That's the only real world situation you can think of? I can think of lot's of things where FF beats APS-C...Everything to do with low light, wide angles, or DOF.

10-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
What a refreshing thing to hear around here . +1.
refreshing, indeed!
10-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry Raylon the reason why i have forgotten to list other 'real world' situations regarding low light photography is simple.. i did'nt have the time at to list them all.

and deadwolfbones i have'nt had a chance to play with a nikon so you are probably right!

there probably should be a double blind test with pics from a ff and a cropped sensor and see if anyone can tell the difference.

i'm sure ff has advantages.. but i'm saying there are techniques around it. which was the whole point of my thread
10-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

okie.... can somebody tell me, what is the major need or otherwise, what those APC can't do in FF ...i read some review about compare APC and FF and still doesnt convice me.... perhaps, any one in this forum has a good explanation...thx B4

10-12-2010, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
okie.... can somebody tell me, what is the major need or otherwise, what those APC can't do in FF ...i read some review about compare APC and FF and still doesnt convice me.... perhaps, any one in this forum has a good explanation...thx B4

I'm sure this topics covered somwhere.. but since i've got time!!
there is nothing an APC sized sensor can't do!

i'll break it down for you quick, apart from physically having a larger sensor you can always work around this easily. I get more of a kick from getting good photos from an apc sensor then my ff because i actually had to do some lateral thinking.

for example somone mentioned on this thread about wide angle being better on a ff .. but you get work around by buying a ultra wide angle for the apc eg sigma now has a 8-16mm.

depth of field easier to achieve on ff but.. overcome by on apc by using larger aperture prime lens. easy!

anything you can do on a ff you can do on apc.. just abit more of a challenge thats all. no real world difference. if you see this as a challenge rather then limitations .. you will get more satisfaction from taking great photos from apc
10-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A lens with a certain aperture on FF will always have narrower DoF than the same lens on APS-C. There's no getting around that one.

FF viewfinders are also better. Manually focusing the Nikkor 50/1.2 on my D700 is soooo much easier than focusing the A50/1.2 on my K-7.

It's cheaper to go wide on FF than it is on APS-C, though the new Sigma with 8mm on the wide end now matches the previous widest equivalent on FF (Simga 12-24).

With the 12mp D700 at least, per-pixel sharpness seems drastically better on FF in some cases.

But really, most of the differences between my D700 and my K-7 come down to the D700 being the more advanced piece of hardware aside from the sensor--faster AF, more AF points, better AF tracking, better viewfinder as mentioned above, better FPS, etc etc. I get great and at times indistinguishable results from both cameras.
10-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was looking at a FF canon the other day (i was seduced by the power of the darkside) and I just find the camera a bit big for me and heavy too...prolly not the best gear to bring on long hiking and long overseas trip.

I suppose if i am an event photographer or wedding photographer, such a machine will be ideal but since i am not, Master Yoda talked some sense into me and i am back to pentaxland.
10-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're right that full frame is overrated in the sense that several people who want FF cameras feel that format is totally superior to APS-C, which I don't think is necessarily true. There are a lot of good things that both formats are good at.

In fact, I think the most versatile setup would probably have both a good full frame camera and a good crop camera. For example, I've been hearing about a lot of Canon pros who now use the 5D Mark II for events and the 7D for sports.
10-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
Its all very subjective, and it all depends on what you want to achieve with your photos. for example.. i don't have any problems with the viewfinder on my k7. its bright enough for me!
and i believe my 24-70 L f2.8 on my canon is just as quick focusing with my DA* f2.8.
and how wide do you really need to go to achieve what you want to achieve with your picture???

yes.. I have moved over to FF, but let me assure you the grass is'nt as green as I thought!
10-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

They're tools to make images unfortunately no one tool in photography is perfect hence some if not most of us will never be content, the manufacturers are banking on that
10-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Its all very subjective, and it all depends on what you want to achieve with your photos. for example.. i don't have any problems with the viewfinder on my k7. its bright enough for me!
Wasn't talking about brightness, I was talking about size.

(Though the K-7's 100% coverage is nice compared to the D700's "95%"...)
10-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
Inactive Account

i didnt go full frame but bought a 7d for low light and manual movie mode 1080 24p and 720 60p but i still love shooting my k7 and now i miss my k20 which i sold that darn cannon ;[
lumpy