Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wanna-be pros think having a camera that says Nikon, Canon, or Leica will somehow make them a pro. (Or at least make others think they're a pro.) Actual pros know better. If some ignorant blowhard doesn't like my camera, guitar, car, whatever... why should I care even a little?

One of the ways I make my living is as a musician. Mostly, as a guitar player. I've got U.S. made Gibsons & Fenders, but one of the guitars I enjoy gigging with the most is a cheap little $200 Chinese Tele copy. It has great pickups, and after I set it up, it plays like butta and tuning is rock-stable. Another player I know leaves his vintage Les Pauls, Gretsches & other expensive guitars at home and takes out on tour with him, a $100 Squier Bullet Strat. And he kicks butt on it.

So it's not the name stamped on the thing, it's what you do with it that counts.

02-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
It is very funny to hear , and read in reviews, that Nikon en Canon have more lenses. So you might be better off with them.
Perhaps it should be said that Canon & Nikon have more lenses "to choose from".
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
I love the image quality from Pentax glass, and the friendly usability of its cameras, but lord help you if you need immediate support. Better plan on buying three cameras and enough lenses to cover any mishaps.
This is true no matter what brand you buy.
Overnight replacement doesn't matter a whit if your only camera body packs it in during an event or you drop your portrait lens while mounting it.
Dead in the water is dead in the water, and Tuesday is a long way from a Saturday afternoon wedding shoot.
As an aside, Nikon or Canon Pro services such as replacement equipment is only available if you have jumped their hoops and have satisfied them that you really are a pro. One of the requirements is proof of ownership of redundant equipment.
If you aren't a member of the club, they you will get the same service as your Aunt Martha with her P&S.
02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Perhaps it should be said that Canon & Nikon have more lenses "to choose from".
Perhaps it should be said that Canikon have more NEW lenses to choose from. Nikonians have the disadvantage here, as mostly only lenses MADE for Nikon mounts can be used. (Or down-adapt MF glass -- optical adapters not included.) Canoners can suck-up legacy lenses from nearly everywhere, as can Sony with both their Alpha series and especially the NEX babes, and as can (m)4/3 stuff.

Pentaxians can brag about legacy-lens compatibility, but Canonists and Sonyers can devour all we have, and more. Hmmm, I'd consider a NEX if I had money, so I could start acquiring LTM and A110 and C/FD and other glass... but then I'd *really* be doomed.

03-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Pentax
Attached Images

03-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I use Pentax
Me too, but my photos are nowhere good as this . WOW!
03-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I use Pentax
This pic says it all for Pentax!!

03-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Perhaps it should be said that Canikon have more NEW lenses to choose from. Nikonians have the disadvantage here, as mostly only lenses MADE for Nikon mounts can be used. (Or down-adapt MF glass -- optical adapters not included.) Canoners can suck-up legacy lenses from nearly everywhere, as can Sony with both their Alpha series and especially the NEX babes, and as can (m)4/3 stuff.
Nikonians have it even worse. Unless you buy a $1000+ camera you need to use SDM lenses since they've taken the focus motors out of the lower-end cameras. They've been re-releasing all they lenses as SDM, but that just increases the costs and makes for a limited used market.