Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #16

To original poster: did you fully charge the batteries the first time before using them? This is very important. It fits your description, and I know at least 1 person who had a similar problem (he didn't charge the first time, and now the battery is dieing within 1 hour)

Hmmm, it seems some people here have adopted very wrong practices with their batteries...

QuoteQuote:
Eneloops can be used straight out of the pack
QuoteQuote:
GWP mentioned a good feature on a charger - make sure it can discharge
That's actually ranges from indifferent to harmful (in-camera discharge is the best btw), as it can decrease capacity if you don't know what you're doing.

I could translate an amazing battery FAQ, if I get the permission from the writer. I think similar guides must also exist on the web...

09-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antitrust Quote
To original poster: did you fully charge the batteries the first time before using them? This is very important. It fits your description, and I know at least 1 person who had a similar problem (he didn't charge the first time, and now the battery is dieing within 1 hour)

Hmmm, it seems some people here have adopted very wrong practices with their batteries...

That's actually ranges from indifferent to harmful (in-camera discharge is the best btw), as it can decrease capacity if you don't know what you're doing.

I could translate an amazing battery FAQ, if I get the permission from the writer. I think similar guides must also exist on the web...
G'day Antitrust,

With respect, may I direct you to SANYO eneloop | Ready to use Rechargeable Battery - The only battery you will ever need: Home

That will provide you with a little more information, which also states quite clearly that they are ready to use, straight out of the packet.

Cheers
Grant
09-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
You are referring to the memory effect of a battery, this applied to older 'Nickel Cadmium' batteries, the ones we use now doesnt have this memory effect, ours can be charged even when 1/2 discharged without harm ...

Last edited by Jimsi777; 09-15-2007 at 04:39 PM.
09-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a 4 pack of the Ray O Vac hybrids, going to see how they hold up compared to the Eneloops.

09-16-2007, 01:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimsi777 Quote
You are referring to the memory effect of a battery, this applied to older 'Nickel Cadmium' batteries, the ones we use now doesnt have this memory effect, ours can be charged even when 1/2 discharged without harm ...

Actually, I don't think the member "Antitrust" was referring to that. Lithium, NiMh, and similar batteries, are typically shipped with the internal chemistry in a neutral state to avoid degradation during shipment and while sitting on store shelves. The initial charge after purchase excites the chemistry, with how well that's accomplished impacting overall battery performance. This is why the manufacturers of these battery so strongly stress that first initial charge.

Afterwards, these batteries can indeed tolerate a lot of abuse, including repeated partial discharge/charge cycles without the so-call memory effect. However, this type of usage is not really the ideal for any battery.

The Sanyo eneloop batteries (and similar) are the rare exceptions to all this, not the norm. These are shipped from the factory with the chemistry already excited, therefore less dependent on that the initial charge by consumers. My main concern with these batteries would be how well Sanyo has truly overcome the usual degradation during the time period between the factory and the end consumer.

stewart
09-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Antitrust Quote
Would be very interested in seeing this .

However, in the meantime, there is a very good resource that seems authorative on the subject.

BatteryUniversity.com

the section of relevance - since mostly when we are talking about rechargeable batteries for the K100D - it's the NiMH -

Charging nickel-based batteries

Charging nickel-metal-hydride section is about 2/3 down that page.

LSD (Low Self Discharge) batteries are based on NiMH but have extra circuit built-in that reduces the discharge rate (hence the name).

Sanyo eneloops are the most well known as they were the first - other brands are RayOVac Hybrid, and Kodak Pre-Charged (the latter 2 are NOT re-badged eneloops, but different designs - reports say they also perform well). All of these are advertized to be usable straight out of the pack, without needing an initial charge - people who have tested them say they have about 85% of full charge fresh out of the pack.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 09-16-2007 at 07:15 AM.