Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #1

How noisy is the K10D's autofocus?

Late last week I ordered a K10D and am expecting it to arrive on Tuesday. Like many, I anxiously await UPS knocking on my door. Having obsessed over this purchase for quite some time, I'm nervous about one issue in particular. Just how noisy is the K10D's autofocus mechanism?

This will be my first DSLR, but I've had a couple of film SLRs over the past decade or two. One of my old cameras was an early Nikon AF SLR (I think it was a 4004) that was really noisy. It was so noisy that I made sure that the next camera I purchaed was quiet. I ended up getting a Canon Elan with a ultrasonic motor that suited me well until it was stolen.

During my research of the K10D I've read several posts (mostly at DPreview) where people have said that it's noisy. The other day I visited my local Best Buy where I was able to handle all of the usual suspects: A100, D80, D200, XTI, 30D. None of these camera's autofocus seemed to be particularly noisy. They all would have been acceptable to me in this regard.

As I've worried myself to the point of neuroses, I'm hoping that someone can dispel my fears over how noisy the K10D will be, so that I can get a decent night of sleep. My initial lens will be the Sigma 17-70 so comments on that particular len's noise level would be welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance to those in this forum.

12-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D's AF is less noisy (and faster) than that of the *ist series, so have no worries

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I used to have a Canon EOS Elan IIe - this new K10D is as silent as the Canon - easily.
12-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I tried Pentax k10D at an exhibition - "rustles" enough if to compare with same Nikon D200 which I in the same place tried...

12-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I haven't found the AF mechanism of the K10 to be any louder than any of those cameras you handled, or at least I haven't noticed it. The store I work in tends to be a bit noisy--our employees and customers like to turn up the Xbox and PS3 displays right next to my department. I haven't brought my camera in to directly compare the sounds, but I wouldn't expect it to be any more noisy than Sony's Alpha.

That said, I do like that I can hear the 'chirp' of my autofocus on the K10. I had a heck of a time with the XTi chirp. YMMV, but I like it.