Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #1

K10d back from service, and pictures from an old Chinon 50mm

Cross posting back here, since I left everyone hanging with my little rant when I had to send back my second copy of K10d for servicing ;-)

Finally got my K10d back from Pentax Canada. Let's just say I couldn't be more impressed with their customer service!

To give you an idea of how bad the dust was on my brand new K10d (not to mention the dust on the viewfinder that you can't see):

But, anyways, onto the images!

My workhorse lens, the Tamron 28-75 at 75mm, F2.8 (slight camera shake here...sorry, handholding at 1/30 which is not a good idea!)

My "new", old lens, a Chinon P/K 50mm 1.4, wide open:

It's a bit frustrating that I keep forgetting to hit the green button for the camera to stop down the lens and meter, but I think I will get used to that.

However, I have a few questions that I was wondering if some of you could answer:

1) I've noticed that the lens consistently underexposes about 1\4 to 1\2 of a stop. Any way to fix this other than manually bumping down the shutter speed every time?

2) I've noticed that the "exposure meter" in M mode does not show up unless I stop down the lens using the optical preview. Is there a way to get the meter to always show up, or am I stuck with no meter without manually stopping down the lens, since I am on a non-A lens?

3) Is there a way to change the shutter speed to the rear e-dial in M mode?

4) Is there any way to use the flash with this lens? It seems like the camera refuses to meter with the flash taken into account.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

T

Last edited by Fireball; 09-11-2007 at 10:05 PM.
09-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
The exposure issue with m42, K, and M lenses (all pre-A) mounts using stop-down metering is pretty well documented. My experience has been that you can expect accurate metering at about f5.6-f8 with 1-2 EV under-exposure at wider apertures and 1-2 EV over-exposure at narrower apertures. The explanation that is generally given involves some sort of interaction between the focusing screen, mirror box, sensor placement, and exposure firmware. My practice has been to do a couple of practice shots at the desired f-stop, examine the histograms, and bias the exposure accordingly.

Steve
09-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops...I just went upstairs and played around a little with my K10D. Seems that manual stopdown metering behavior changed a little bit with my last firmware update (1.20). Stop-down metering now seems to provide consistent exposure from about f3.5-f11 with about 1 EV under-exposure at f16 and f2.8 and about 1.5 EV under-exposure at f22 and f1.7.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior shift with firmware update?