Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 light meter or/and electnonic level ... ??

This is been discussed before but I wanted to know whther I can have the electronic level AND the light meter both at the same time when in M mode, or any other mode?

I am referring to this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/108894-new-fw-1-10-k7.html

I even posted on that thread and said that I was pleased to find out that I could have both ... not now! What's happening?

Here are my settings:

Settings I
M mode
electronic level ON
Top LCD and viewfinder show +- Ev's to use the front and rear dials for exposure. No light meter bar in those screens.
The rear monitor actually shows the light meter "bar"

Settings 2
M mode
electronic level OFF
Top LCD, viewfinder and rear monitor all show the light meter "bar" (used with the rear and front dials for exposure), which is what I want along with the level, but the level of course is now OFF.

Any help here? Or please redirect me to the proper thread.
I am sure I am doing something wrong but cannot fix it.

Thanks.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 10-13-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added info
10-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If there is a way to have both, I haven't found it.
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If there is a way to have both, I haven't found it.
I have added some info/changed some info to try and be more accurate in what I am seeing in the viewfinder, rear monitor and top LCD screen.

I thought I could actually have both the electronic level and the light meter "bar"(s) together.

Last edited by jpzk; 10-13-2010 at 05:26 PM.
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, I think that the best you can do is have the level on the slider scale, and the meter reading in EV numbers. Frankly I am good with +/-0.5 EV displayed in numbers (I have mine set to half stop intervals).

The thing that ticks me off is using the OVF and setting the metered exposure to zero using the active meter, then half focusing pressing the button and having it go to -0.5EV despite the fact that it said EV 0.0 a moment ago! I am sure this is in an effort to further prevent blown highlights, but it is most annoying.

Last edited by Clarkey; 10-13-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: punctuation.
10-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
No, I think that the best you can do is have the level on the slider scale, and the meter reading in EV numbers. Frankly I am good with +/-0.5 EV displayed in numbers (I have mine set to half stop intervals).
I have mine set at 1/3 intervals, but it's the same game really.
I am not that good at interpreting numbers, so I prefer a visual light meter "bar" showing me what I am doing.

The thing that ticks me off is using the OVF and setting the metered exposure to zero using the active meter, then half focusing pressing the button and having it go to -0.5EV despite the fact that it said EV 0.0 a moment ago! I am sure this is in an effort to further prevent blown highlights, but it is most annoying.
Yeah, that is another annoying feature.
When the electronic level is ON:
I find this very annoying when I want to meter, using the viewfinder and/or top LCD by dialing for shutter speed/aperture, and seeing this funny looking +- Ev thing (indicator).
What's the use of having it (the light meter bar) active only at the rear screen?
When you focus through the viewfinder, that is where you want your options for metering to show, yes/no?

I am used to only have to follow what the light meter "bar" shows, so that I can purposely over/under expose as I want, or expose right where it shows "0".

If I can't have that AND the electronic level at the same time, I might as well set the K7 at "Electronic Level" OFF, and leave it at that.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 10-13-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added and removed info
10-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is been discussed before but I wanted to know whther I can have the electronic level AND the light meter both at the same time when in M mode, or any other mode?

I even posted on that thread and said that I was pleased to find out that I could have both ... not now! What's happening?

Thanks.

JP
The wording on V1.10 was a bit vague. There wasn't enough real estate in the Viewfinder display zone to show both the electronic level graphics AND the light meter graphics.
There Still isn't.
What they have done in M mode, if Electronic Level is set, is give you the numerical guidance number on the +/- EV status.
On my old K100D, that's actually all I ever had for M Mode exposure guidance -I'm used to it. and it works.

Check whether you have set AE linked to AF Point + Matrix metering.
When you half press focus, it will then meter biased on your AF Point, which can give quite different results (I've had +/- 1 EV) from general Matrix metering.
10-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The wording on V1.10 was a bit vague. There wasn't enough real estate in the Viewfinder display zone to show both the electronic level graphics AND the light meter graphics.
There Still isn't.
What they have done in M mode, if Electronic Level is set, is give you the numerical guidance number on the +/- EV status.
On my old K100D, that's actually all I ever had for M Mode exposure guidance -I'm used to it. and it works.

When you half press focus, it will then meter biased on your AF Point, which can give quite different results (I've had +/- 1 EV) from general Matrix metering.
You know, you are quite right. I was aware of the link AF/metering issue (yes, that is how I am set up), but I wonder even if in full frame (matrix) metering and using the central point (which I do 99% of the time) whether a bias is introduced toward the centre point.

10-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
When the electronic level is ON:
I find this very annoying when I want to meter, using the viewfinder and/or top LCD by dialing for shutter speed/aperture, and seeing this funny looking +- Ev thing (indicator).
What's the use of having it (the light meter bar) active only at the rear screen?
When you focus through the viewfinder, that is where you want your options for metering to show, yes/no?

I am used to only have to follow what the light meter "bar" shows, so that I can purposely over/under expose as I want, or expose right where it shows "0".

If I can't have that AND the electronic level at the same time, I might as well set the K7 at "Electronic Level" OFF, and leave it at that.

JP

I hear you. On my MZ-5n I had the same set-up, and it was nice to get the meter scale back (in the OVF), only to lose it by using the level (which I *do* need - personal weakness). I don't use the back screen at all - only for menu options, not as a display unless in LV on a tripod.
10-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
There Still isn't.
Of course, this would also mean cramping up very small letters/digits in an already taxed surface area.
I see what you mean; it would be a matter of getting used to the Ev status rather than using the light meter. But as I am used to visualize the exposure that way, I prefer the old meter way.

Thanks! The reply was much appreciated.

JP
10-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hear you. On my MZ-5n I had the same set-up, and it was nice to get the meter scale back (in the OVF), only to lose it by using the level (which I *do* need - personal weakness). I don't use the back screen at all - only for menu options, not as a display unless in LV on a tripod.
I don't use the rear monotor much at all except for a quick glance at the overall "general" settings, and the fact that you can use it directly to modify some of them directly.
This rear screen level, for instance, is nice, but I have not used it.

Thanks for your reply.

JP