Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #1

cleaning the focusing screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Okey, I am in Pakistan, so getting a pentax dealer is hard, my question is, how to clean the focus screen? What do I need to get?

10-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
Okey, I am in Pakistan, so getting a pentax dealer is hard, my question is, how to clean the focus screen? What do I need to get?
Are you sure it's the screen that is dirty?
You can buy them cheap on eBay btw(20 dollars or so).
Might be worth a look.

Anyways, many times there is dirt in the pentamirror(depending on the camera you're using). It's important to know which area is dirty before committing to anything.
10-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
I am pretty sure its the screen, I checked and cross checked, btw its a k-x
10-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Focusing screen is made of soft resin which cannot be wiped or rubbed. You can flush it with water, and that's pretty much it. It's rare that the screen is dirty, except for some dust spots which can be blown away with rubber blowers.

10-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
I am pretty sure its the screen, I checked and cross checked, btw its a k-x
Okay

Well.. I guess the next step would depend on the type of dirt were talking about.
if its just dust particles you can blowing it with a decent blower(rocket blower etc) just be sure it's been washed and cleaned prior to using(don't want to introduce more dust in there).

However, it's actual grime, I'd just look at replacing it: New and used Pentax K-x focusing screen, Cameras Photo on eBay.ca

Or... if you're really hard core.
you can opt to wash the screen.
But, I wouldn't recommend it considering the actual cost of the part and the risks involved in doing so.

Good luck.
10-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Rubber blower, hmm, will get back to the city and so it
10-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #7

Try to blow the specs away with a rubber blower.

If not successful dismount the screen from the cam and wash it with pure water. Then simply let it dry in an non dusty environment. If in a hurry use a haidryer. Don't touch the surface, don't rub it, don't use any solvents!!

There is no risk washing it. If you have to change it you must dismount it as well. That may be th only tricky step.

10-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
Okey, how to unmount it?
10-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Forum Member

Been there. A lot of people would caution against cleaning it, as you have a good chance of making it worse. The blower is fine, but some dust specks may be on the undersurface of the screen. I had started a similar post with what worked for me, so you can look it up. The directions for removing (or at least getting ready to remove it - I didnt remove it all the way) can be found at the Katzeye website, as part of the instruction for installing their focusing screens.
10-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Forum Member

i dont really suggest to do it on ur own risk if u havent done it before xD u might need a replacement part after u are done xD
10-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #11

Oh come on - dismounting or changing a focus screen is no rocket science. Just be careful not to scratch the screen.

Another guide how to proceed can be found here.
10-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, removing the screen is not rocket science, but here are the hazards:
  • Introduction of dust into the pentamirror assembly and the inside surface of the ocular (eyepiece)
  • Damage to the screen from handling
  • Loss of shims
As alluded to above, the best practice is to avoid touching the surface of the screen. It is very fragile. Dust is best removed using a rocket blower (NOT canned air!) with the screen in the camera.

Completely off the record, YMMV, no liability, and every other possible disclaimer, you can try using a cotton applicator swab (Q-tip) saturated with a quality lens cleaning solution to remove finger prints and similar gunge. Do not use alcohol or other solvent. Do not scrub. Follow with a rinse of distilled/deionized water and air dry. This should be done with screen REMOVED from the camera. Now how heavy gunge might have gotten on your screen shall not be discussed as it is potentially embarrassing.

And finally...
Some dust in the viewfinder is inevitable. Learn to live with it.

Steve
10-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #13

i cleaned mine before. washed it with water. got rid of the particles on the screen.

however, when i put it back i introduced dust again.

VERY FRUSTRATING.