Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #1

Pentax K-m (K2000) problems

Hi everybody,

I own a Pentax K-m (so in Europe, know as K2000 in the USA), bought around a year ago. Since a couple a months it manifests a strange behavior: when I'm browsing photos, or when I try to zoom, the screen restarts as if just switched on, with the icons list and the current program shown. It's boring, since at times I can hardly look forward or backward for my photos or can't look "into" the photo. This does not seem a key problem, rather a software problem.
I'm using the 1.11 firmware (the latest).

This, of course, has nothing to do with shooting, since photos are produced in the same faithful manner of the first usage.

Should I bring the machine to the dealer asking its restoring? Or should I reinstall previous 1.10 firmware? Anyone has found this strange behavior?

-- Antonio

10-14-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, you are saying that when you review or playback images, you cannot Zoom in on them by turning the E-Dial? But the camera works fine otherwise (you can set shutter speed, aperture, etc with the dial)? If I am misunderstanding you, point us to the page in the manual that shows what you are having trouble with..

10-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

does the camera reboot if you just leave it in playback mode without pressing any buttons/dials?
10-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, maybe the fact I'm not an English-speaker didn't let you understand, so let me explain better.

The word "reboot" seems to explain wonderfully what happens. Suppose I've just taken some photos and want to review (and possibly zoom) them. I press the arrow button: so far, so good, the first photo appears on the back display. Now I press the left (or right) button (in the buttons circle) two, three, many times, searching for a photo. At some moment: here-it-is! the machine reboots. Now I press again the arrow to start over, and on a photo I rotate the wheel to zoom; after a couple of clicks the machine reboots. No advice, batteries full.

This behavior is not constant. Sometimes things work fine. Sometimes I even forget the troubles. But I'm sure the problem is here waiting, and sooner or later boom! here it is again.

It seems to me a software problem, since it's hardly believable that two arrow keys and the wheel manifest the same problem at the very same time or all work smoothly at the very same time.

Anyway, thanks for your answer. It's good to see that people care.

-- Antonio

P.S. I'm writing from Italy. Ciao!

10-14-2010, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps try the reset to factory defaults?

I just checked on my K-m, to reset to factory defaults:

Menu> Third menu (with spanner, tool icon) > menu 2 > at the bottom of the list 'Reset'. This will put the camera back to the factory settings. Apart from that I would re-install firmware.

Good luck
10-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonibin Quote
Well, maybe the fact I'm not an English-speaker didn't let you understand, so let me explain better.

The word "reboot" seems to explain wonderfully what happens. Suppose I've just taken some photos and want to review (and possibly zoom) them. I press the arrow button: so far, so good, the first photo appears on the back display. Now I press the left (or right) button (in the buttons circle) two, three, many times, searching for a photo. At some moment: here-it-is! the machine reboots. Now I press again the arrow to start over, and on a photo I rotate the wheel to zoom; after a couple of clicks the machine reboots. No advice, batteries full.

This behavior is not constant. Sometimes things work fine. Sometimes I even forget the troubles. But I'm sure the problem is here waiting, and sooner or later boom! here it is again.

It seems to me a software problem, since it's hardly believable that two arrow keys and the wheel manifest the same problem at the very same time or all work smoothly at the very same time.

Anyway, thanks for your answer. It's good to see that people care.

-- Antonio

P.S. I'm writing from Italy. Ciao!
Just so I'm clear. Reboot refers to 'the camera goes to ready to shoot mode' as if you're about to take a photo, correct?

The only way I can Make a camera do this (choose one from my list below) is to even Lightly tap the shutter button while doing the photo review. This happens both on my K10d and on the K7. It is doubly frustrating sometimes on the K7 if I've left the grip turned on. Then I hit the shutter button with the palm of my hand without realizing it.

Other than that or resetting the camera as described in a previous post, I'm out of ideas.