Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Programming RAW button on K200D

In the Menu of my K200D I have set up the default File Format to JPEG, the RAW format to PEF and the RAW button to JPEG>RAW, RAW>RAW+, and RAW+>JPEG. The "Cancel each time" box is unchecked.

With these settings when I turn the camera ON the format starts in JPEG as one would expect. When I press the RAW button it switches to RAW as one would expect. But when I press the RAW button again it switches back to JPEG, and not to RAW+ as I expect it to. Pressing the RAW button simply alternates the format between JPEG and RAW and back.

I have been thinking that as I press the RAW button the format should be stepping from the default JPEG to RAW to RAW+ and back to JPEG. Am I misunderstanding what should be happening or is there another setting needed somewhere to be able to step through the formats?

I've tried everything I can think of to make it operate the way I thought I wanted. If I set the default file format to RAW and leave everything else the same as above the camera starts in RAW and pressing the RAW button alternates the format from RAW to RAW+ and back.

If I set the default file format to RAW+ and leave everything else the same as above the camera starts in RAW+ and pressing the RAW button alternates between RAW+ and JPEG.

Is this programming typical of other Pentax DSLRs such as the K20D and K-7?

Comments please.

10-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the K7 you can select what each cycles to in the next step but you cannot cycle through all 3 by just continuously pressing the RAW button. In other words, you camera is doing exactly as it is programmed to do.

10-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteQuote:
When I press the RAW button it switches to RAW as one would expect. But when I press the RAW button again it switches back to JPEG, and not to RAW+ as I expect it to. Pressing the RAW button simply alternates the format between JPEG and RAW and back.
You can only choose one option, not all three. Your camera is working as intended.

So if you are shooting JPEG, you can program the camera to Switch to Raw, or Switch to Raw+ (you can program it to switch to JPEG as well, but as you are already there, it does nothing)

If you are shooting in Raw, you can program the camera to switch to JPEG or Raw+ ( and again, to Raw which does nothing if you are already there).

If you are shooting in Raw+, you can program the camera to switch to Raw, or JPEG, (or again to Raw+ which does nothing since you are already there.)

Every time you push the Raw button, you go back to where you came from, you do not cycle through all the options.

My K20 works exactly the same way.

Do you know how to select the option you want from your menu?
10-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
Every time you push the Raw button, you go back to where you came from, you do not cycle through all the options.

My K20 works exactly the same way.

Do you know how to select the option you want from your menu?
Yes, now that my unrealistic expectations have been squashed I think I know how to set it through the menu to do what I want. Thanks.

10-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

I had the same problem years ago. I was thinking exactly what you are thinking here. It had 3 rows of options but you can only switch between 2 formats. i just don't get it. i think the 3 rows options is stupid and confusing.
I bet k5 is still doing this thing
10-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteQuote:
i just don't get it. i think the 3 rows options is stupid and confusing.
the camera can shoot in one of three default modes

JPEG
RAW
Raw+

So you need three rows of options depending on which default mode you are in

The button allows you to switch out of the default mode to a mode you preselect in a quick and easy way without having to go through the menu system.

What is stupid or confusing about that? It's actually a pretty useful feature.
10-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

the stupid thing is that it has 3 rows of options but 1 is enough since it only allows the raw button to go from one format to another and not 3.
the raw button is an good idea
10-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was beginning to think that there was a flaw in the K200D firmware. Now that I understand how it actually works I'm fine with it but I think that the Pentax Operating Manual could be more helpful. I even bought the Magic Lantern Guide for the K200D to try to figure it out, but it just repeated what was in the Pentax Operating Manual.

I'm glad that this forum helped to straighten my thinking out and I still love my K200D.

10-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
the stupid thing is that it has 3 rows of options but 1 is enough since it only allows the raw button to go from one format to another and not 3.
I don't think you have the concept down yet.

On the first page of the menu screen of your K200, you choose the file format you want to shoot in

JPEG
RAW
RAW+

On Page 2 of the Menu Screen, you then can set the RAW button.

Each line corresponds to one of the file formats you have chosen on the first menu screen, again, JPEG, RAW or RAW+

You scroll down to choose the file format you set on Page 1 of the Menu Screen

If you chose to shoot by default in JPEG, choose the first line. If you chose to shoot in RAW by default, choose the second line. If you chose to shoot in RAW+, choose the 3rd line.

Then, when you are on the mode you set on Page 1, you use the right arrow key to select which NEW mode you want the RAW button to change to when you push it.

If there was only one line, then the camera would by default always be in a default mode that you could NOT change.

There would be no File Format selection on page one of the menu screen because you would not be able to change it.

In reality, it is set up very nicely in the Menu system. You have lots of options to make your camera work the way you want it too, instead of having to work around what someone else chose for you.

I don't find that stupid at all.
10-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Forum Member

english is not my first language, i still don't quite get what you said.
are you saying what page 2 is set affect what the page1(default format) is?

here is what i think
say the default format is jpeg, and i have set the raw button to jpeg to raw. and now for some season i want to shoot raw+ but the raw button only goes from jpeg to raw and back to jpeg, i will have to go into menu to switch to raw+ and the raw button isn't very helpful in this case.

don't know if you understand what i mean
10-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
Banned

That is exactly right. You only have one option to change to by using the RAW button.

If you want to cycle through the options, you can not do it on a K200 or a K 20 and I don't think my KX could do it either.

Really, if you normally shoot in JPEG mode, you might want to set your camera to change to RAW+ when you hit the RAW button. This will give you both your normal JPEG and a RAW file. You get the best of both worlds. It does take up a little bit more room on your memory card, but if you only use it occasionally, that might be the way to go.

If English is not your first language, you're doing pretty darn good with it. Honestly, I would never have known. You have a better command of the English language than a lot of people whose first language is English.

Best of light to you.....
10-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want more options for the RAW/Fx button, buy the new K-5.
On the K-5 you can assign one of the the following functions:

- One push file format (RAW/Jpeg)
- Exposure bracketing
- Digital Preview
- Electronic Level
- Composition Adjust

If you opt to temporarily change the file format with the RAW button, it does not scroll through the different file format options. But this is no issue because it is simple enough to press the Info button twice and scroll through the file format options if you don't want to go through the Menu button. A lot quicker too.
10-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
Forum Member

The Digital Preview button is on the on/off switch already