Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #1

K7: Even with Manual Focus it gives off the AF beep?

Hey Guys,

I've never used manual focus on my K7 before, but I noticed when I put it in MF mode and put it into manual focus mode with my DA* lenses (only ones I have) as I'm focusing, it'll beep along with the red focus mark to tell me I'm 'in focus'

Is this normal? It's pretty neat...but seems self defeating.

10-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perfectly normal, my K7, even my film Canon EOS5 does that with manual lenses.
10-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, its called "focus confirmation". That way you'll know for sure that you've locked onto your subject. Also, it doesn't have to be in the center either. All focus points are available so you can manually confirm focus on subjects off to the side.
Do you know about "catch-in-focus'? Using manual lenses and setting the cam to AF-C, you can use focus confirmation to trip the shutter once it determines your subject's in focus. It's pretty neat, even though I don't use it that often.
Also, you know you can turn off the "beep" in the menu, right? It'll save your bacon if you shoot weddings!
10-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daemos Quote
Hey Guys,

I've never used manual focus on my K7 before, but I noticed when I put it in MF mode and put it into manual focus mode with my DA* lenses (only ones I have) as I'm focusing, it'll beep along with the red focus mark to tell me I'm 'in focus'

I often use it as a focus aid. Its very useful, and you can always turn it off if you don't want it.

You can also do focus trapping on most DA* lenses which have an MF switch on th lens itself. Leave the camera on AF. Half press the shutter button and the camera will take the shot as soon as your manual focus gets a lock. I love this feature.

10-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Catch in focus is OK, but it often doesn't take the shot where I want it to be. What I mean is, at f/8 say everything from 5' to 8' should be in focus due to DOF. My subject sits at 6'.

Catch-in focus will take the shot when everything from 10' to 6' is in focus. So bascially everything behind my subject is in focus, but that's not what I want. I want the plane surrounding them to be in focus, but not everything behind them.

It can be a useful feature, but many times I use the focus-assist light and DOF preview to compose and focus how I want.
10-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but does the K-x have this feature? I don't seem to get a beep when I switch my kit lenses to manual, or is this feature only for true manual lenses?
10-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Catch in focus is OK, but it often doesn't take the shot where I want it to be. What I mean is, at f/8 say everything from 5' to 8' should be in focus due to DOF. My subject sits at 6'.

Catch-in focus will take the shot when everything from 10' to 6' is in focus. So bascially everything behind my subject is in focus, but that's not what I want. I want the plane surrounding them to be in focus, but not everything behind them.

It can be a useful feature, but many times I use the focus-assist light and DOF preview to compose and focus how I want.
Are you sure you're using CIF right? It only works in AF-S (check?). In AF-C or MF it will fire regardless of focus. I've Never seen this behavior from my K7 using CIF.

10-14-2010, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Daemos Quote
Hey Guys,

Just a minor point, but the red focus point indicator actually lights up just before focus is confirmed by the green hexagon at the bottom of the VF. The red LED is meant to indicate the sensor area used, not to confirm focus. Practically it makes little difference since the time differential is shorter than most people could react.

I don't see a confirmation of focus as being self defeating. For me, it's a great aid.

Scott

10-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Just a minor point, but the red focus point indicator actually lights up just before focus is confirmed by the green hexagon at the bottom of the VF. The red LED is meant to indicate the sensor area used, not to confirm focus. Practically it makes little difference since the time differential is shorter than most people could react. Scott
And thats a new useful info to me, thanks and +1
10-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but does the K-x have this feature?
Should be the same, but not sure.
10-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I find the beeping and the light show annoying when I'm using MF, which is most of the time. I use MF because I don't trust AF, except on simple scenes, so I don't trust the focus confirmation signals either. I disabled the half-press AF function, which stops all that noise, and when I want to AF, I use the AF button (K20D). Finding the botton on the back of the camera without looking took a little practice, but I believe it is faster and more accurate than the shutter relase half-press.
10-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but does the K-x have this feature? I don't seem to get a beep when I switch my kit lenses to manual, or is this feature only for true manual lenses?
it works with the K-x with every lens I've used, AF or MF
10-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Its not an Auto-Focus "beep", rather a focus "beep", manual or in AF mode. Perfectly normal.

Jason