Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
2nd Body

I am looking at getting a second body. I have had my K-7 for a year now and I wouldn't mind a second body to basically reduce lens changes when I am out and about and let the wife snap away too. So I will probably end up with my soon to arrive DA50-135 on my K-7 (with the view of getting a 16-50 in the future) and using my primes etc primarily on the second body. As this is just a hobby and I am quite happy with my K-7 I can't quite justify to myself getting a K-5. This leaves in my mind the K10D, K20D, K-X and the K-R, I am quite liking the idea of the K-R with it's high iso capabilities which will come in handy for shooting little moving objects inside. Plus the older cameras I have been seeing have been only a hundred or two under the price of a new K-X so I am leaning towards just buying a new body and getting the associated warranty.
Sorry for the wall of text, any input on other bodies would be appreciated.

10-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a K-7. Don't use a K10D or K20D as the second body. The small differences in the button layout are in my experience very confusing in the field and will slow you down. I believe the K-x and K-r would be much easier to use in tandem with a K-7.
10-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
get the K5 make the K7 second class
10-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed to make it easier on both you and your wife, the K-x, K-r and K-5 are the way to go. Each are going to give you top results at ISOs not possible with the K-7, giving you both a reason to fight over it.

It's all a matter of how much you want to spend, so with that in mind the K-r does seem like the most logical choice. Enjoy deciding.

10-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
get the K5 make the K7 second class
+1.
10-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My approach to upgrades and second bodies is to simply keep the old body as the second

I have an *istD and K10D to go with my K7D

Although the button layouts are different on all three bodies I don't find it an issue

What I find interesting iss that each body is good at different things

Presently I have split images in the *istD and K10D and use them for my MF primes

I also use the *istD for TTL flash. I like the K10 low iso performance and the K7 for high ISO

Overall I like having different bodies
10-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Since the K5 is not an option for you I would go with the Kr. If you haven't already check out the thread below about the Kr sample pictures. The high ISO is AMAZING. I cannot believe how little noise there is at 6400. So my vote if for the Kr and if you want to go even cheaper then the Kx is still a great camera and can be had for $350 used or low $400 new.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118131-pentax-k-r-has-arrived.html
10-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My own plan is to get the K-5 as the main body (assuming it turns out as good as it sounds) and let the existing K-7 as a backup. All controls and layout the same.

If your budget does not permit that, the K-R or K-X would be a good option.
The K-X is very attractively priced right now.

10-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
My own plan is to get the K-5 as the main body (assuming it turns out as good as it sounds) and let the existing K-7 as a backup. All controls and layout the same.

If your budget does not permit that, the K-R or K-X would be a good option.
The K-X is very attractively priced right now.
That's a good plan because of the common control layouts. You can even use the same battery grip interchangeably. The second dial on the K-5/K-7 does allow for slightly faster camera operation. If you think of it, the K-r has performance and specifications that I probably never would have imagined when compared to the extinct dinosaur K100D that I once had... all at a very nice price. But obviously the K-5 is worth the difference is price.
10-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys, I think i will get the K-R, I will however wait a couple of months though for the price to drop a little, by then i might be able to justify to myself a K-5 though that is still quite improbable, too many other things are ahead on the list.
There is still the orange K-X in the local camera store calling me
10-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Maybe this way:

1. K-5 as a single body and as a first body for all circumstances.

2. K-7 for second body outdoors, where light is readily available and environment may be challenging.

3. K-X for second body indoors where high ISO performance is important.

Two K-5 would be OK too but a little on the pricey side. Maybe when the street prices comes down a bit ......
10-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
I am looking at getting a second body. I have had my K-7 for a year now and I wouldn't mind a second body to basically reduce lens changes when I am out and about and let the wife snap away too.
K-x is an excellent option at low cost now too (or even newer K-r) and best of all, they're both available in "chick appealing colours" too so Ms mibane can feel important and appreciated in her own right without being just some geeky male's appendage requiring permission to "let her snap away too".

You asked for that.

.R.
10-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have an *istD and K10D to go with my K7D
K7D eh? Now that combo would be one hell of a camera.

But Kx would be good for your needs. Super lightweight to go with your primes. Also the price will be getting pretty sweet with the Kr coming.
10-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #14

How abt the K-R to supplement a current K-7 user on event shooting?or would a K-5 be a good 1st camera while the K-7 be used as a backup?
10-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd say the k-x, or k-r if you can stretch your budget a little.

Between the k-7 and k-r, I'd say you've got all your options covered.