Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Memory card error

I had a Samsung GX 10 for 10 months before it developed memory card error problems while under warranty. No matter what memory card I put in it, it would say memory card error.The dealer I bought it at sent it to a repair shop that couldn't repair it so they replaced it with a Pentax K20d. 15 months later the K20d developed the same problem. Pentax told me that a 2 gig memory card would work in it and that the 1.04 firmware update would make larger gig memory cards work in it. The 2 gig San Disk Ultra doesn't work and the camera won't take the update. Is Pentax - Samsung having problems with their memory card reader? Does anybody have any idea how to fix it?

10-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the firmware upgrade, try a plain SD card, not an SDHC card.

I had no problems with my K20D using up to 16GB SDHC cards, firmware 1.03.
10-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have gotten the memory card error message before but all I had to do was format the card is all was good. I've done this 2x in 6 months with my Kx but never had a problem as serious as yours. Beyond formating the card and making sure you have the latest firmware, if the camera is not under warranty I do not know what else to do, sorry. Good luck.
11-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaysee15 Quote
I had a Samsung GX 10 for 10 months before it developed memory card error problems while under warranty. No matter what memory card I put in it, it would say memory card error.The dealer I bought it at sent it to a repair shop that couldn't repair it so they replaced it with a Pentax K20d. 15 months later the K20d developed the same problem. Pentax told me that a 2 gig memory card would work in it and that the 1.04 firmware update would make larger gig memory cards work in it. The 2 gig San Disk Ultra doesn't work and the camera won't take the update. Is Pentax - Samsung having problems with their memory card reader? Does anybody have any idea how to fix it?
jaysee, sorry but it won't make any difference what you do, you will keep having the problem to matter what card you use. My K20 has been in three times for repairs for this problem, and they've just about gutted it and replaced every non-mechanical thing (including the SD reader electronics) and it keeps happening. I suspect a basic problem in some of the SD readers and they keep replacing it with the same defective part(s) they get from Pentax. The repair folks can only work with the stuff Pentax sends them: they can't do anything, Pentax seemingly won't do anything, so all you can do is, as KxBlaze suggests, is to keep using the Format command. I now routinely re-format the card every time it goes back in the camera after downloading files.

11-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
so all you can do is, as KxBlaze suggests, is to keep using the Format command. I now routinely re-format the card every time it goes back in the camera after downloading files.
If reformatting the card in the camera solves the problem it might be that it gets corrupted by the computer. I routinely format my cards after the files have been copied, because it needs to be emptied anyway, this is a fast operation, and this way the camera gets to work with a mint file system that matches its idea of a proper FAT implementation (FAT is a de facto (as opposed to formal) standard, after all. Also, it seems that a file system check usually finds issues to fix with a FAT file system that has been use for a while ...)
08-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My K10D gives those error messages sometimes when I'm shooting outside on sunny summer days. Turning the camera off when I'm not actually shooting seems to help. If your camera does it all the time and with new cards, then something is seriously wrong. My problem appears to be a heat issue and is mostly an annoyance I can work around.