Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AE Metering

I'm trying to wrap my head around the various aspects of exposure with my K100D.
There are 3 metering methods to pick from - multi segment, weighted center and spot - I leave my camera set to multi-segment but was wondering if that is wise and when one should use each of the 3 metering modes - unfortunately the manual does not explain this and as a relative newbie I would like more information.

Along the same line -
Link AF Point and AE - I have indicated Yes
AE-L with AF Locked - I have indicated Yes
AE-L bttn on M expsr - not really sure what this means

Unfortunately the manual does not give practical examples of what the various settings mean or correspond to and I sometimes feel like I'm 'walking in the dark'.
Any explanations on the above would be greatly appreciated...

09-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmikey Quote
I'm trying to wrap my head around the various aspects of exposure with my K100D.
There are 3 metering methods to pick from - multi segment, weighted center and spot - I leave my camera set to multi-segment but was wondering if that is wise and when one should use each of the 3 metering modes - unfortunately the manual does not explain this and as a relative newbie I would like more information.
I think the manual has brief explanations on each of the three metering modes, please re-read :-)

> Link AF Point and AE - I have indicated Yes

With auto selected multi-point AF, the multi-segment meter will put more weight into the area(s) close to the AF point(s) which the AF system selected for the focus. This would be useful or not depending on scene and case by case.

When you choose the central AF point only, I found that this option has little impact to the metering value.

> AE-L with AF Locked - I have indicated Yes

If you choose central AF point only, it would be better to select Yes, as the subject will be in the centre when AF is locked, as such it would be better to lock the measured EV by the AE altogether. This is particularly useful for all modes, particularly the CWA mode as you will put more weighting in the "centre" subject area, even after re-composition.

> AE-L bttn on M expsr - not really sure what this means

This is simple. It is just the Av or Tv auto mode which upon demand, i.e., upon pressing of the AEL button, the Tv or Av will be set automatically after you have predefined the Av and Tv, respectively.

> Unfortunately the manual does not give practical examples of what the various settings mean or correspond to and I sometimes feel like I'm 'walking in the dark'.

Not really. You need to think about and experience for those different settings, in order to get the best results and unleash the full potential of your new camera! It's just a course for anyone who is serious about how to use their gear! :-)
Any explanations on the above would be greatly appreciated...[/QUOTE]
09-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
With auto selected multi-point AF, the multi-segment meter will put more weight into the area(s) close to the AF point(s) which the AF system selected for the focus. This would be useful or not depending on scene and case by case.
[/QUOTE]

So it doesn't work with manualy selected AF points?!? I thought it did, but I may be wrong...
could anybody confirm?
09-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
So it doesn't work with manualy selected AF points?!? I thought it did, but I may be wrong...
could anybody confirm?
You can pick which AF point you want and it will bias your exposure reading towards that point.

As for the 3 metering modes.

Multi Segment to have the camera attempt to intelligently access the information and meter towards what it believes would give you a proper exposure. Useful for general point and shoot type situations (or when you're feeling lazy) where you trust the camera to make the correct adjustment.

Center Weighed puts more emphasis towards the center of the photograph for light metering, but will still consider the center's surroundings.

Spot will meter based on a small area in the center of the frame (not influenced by surroundings). Useful in situations where you want to make sure a specific object will be properly exposed (especially high contrast scenes where you have really bright and really dark areas coexisting in a picture)