Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #1

Lens compatability

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm searching for lens info. I'm considering switching from point and shoot to slr. The biggest factor has been cost. In speaking with my dad, he told me he has a Ksx from sears, made by Pentax 35mm. He has two lenses with it that he'd set me up with.
Question: would these lenses be compatible with a dslr? If so which and where would I buy such?

10-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yep, they should work fine. Some of them may have the dreaded "Ricoh pin", but that's easily fixed. You can search that phrase on the forum for more info.
10-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Sears KSX was manufactured by Chinon. The two lenses your father has are most likely the Auto Sears MC 50mm f/1.7 and the Auto Sears 135mm f/2.8 or possibly a zoom. Any K-mount lens will work with any Pentax dslr.

The 50mm is a fully manual lens that needs to be used with stop down metering on a Pentax dslr. That means 3 steps to take a picture. 1: Focus & set aperture, 2: Press the AV+- or Green button to meter, 3: press the shutter release. The second lens may or may not have auto aperture. Sears lenses with auto aperture also have a "Ricoh" pin that can get stuck in the auto-focus drive on a Pentax AF camera. Removing it is simple and requires only a #00 Phillips head.
10-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lens has a K-mount, then yes, it'll work. Check out the lens mount article in the articles section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
lens compatibity

Thank you. I'm trying out a k-x tomorrow. Dad is mailing me the lenses and his case. I sure hope this works. The lenses are labeled 1:4 f=80-200mm auto zoom macro and auto 1:20 50mm. He had a ksx sears (pentax) 35mm.
If the try out is successful, meaning if I can understand the camera at least a little tomorrow. I'm ordering one on Amazon with a kit lens for daily use. The camera and kit lens are less expensive than the point and shoots I was considering. And, amazon has a 30 return, for any reason, policy. Just in case the lenses won't work, or the camera is waaay too much learning for me.
Thanks again. I hope to be back learning more in this forum.
10-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ah, you'll have a 50/2 Nifty Fifty prime, and an 80-200/4 push-pull zoom, of which I have three similar copies. That 80-200 might say MADE IN KOREA on the side. Either lens might have an A setting on the aperture ring, and a KR inscription nearby -- these are indicators of the dread Ricoh pin. My KR-A 80-200 has that pin, but the non-invasive sort that hasn't gotten stuck in my K20D mount. Yet. I'll perform the minor surgery before I mount it again.

Anyway, those are both decent lenses to start with, especially alongside the kit 18-55 that comes with your Kx. The 18-55 is autofocus and will handle many snapshot situations (and it can also do serious work). The old manual-focus 80-200 will give you more reach, and the manual 50/2 is good for exploring dimmer areas and portraiture, and forcing you to move and see in different ways. Lenses like those two were the standard startup kit for many many film photographers, and for good reason. Have fun!