Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #1

Pentax k7 - can't shoot when cabled to computer

Hi there!

So I wanted to try out this program : PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4.
I hooked my camera on my computer with the usb cable and can't do anything. My camera doesn't want to shoot and the computer doesn't seem to see my camera.

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks!

Love,Stefanie

10-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The K7 doesn't support tethered shooting, and shuts down as soon as you plug it into a computer.
What computer are you using?
If it's Windows XP or later box, the camera should show up as a drive in Explorer.
10-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Digital Camera Utility doesn't support the K-7; for whatever reason Pentax has discontinued tethering capability (controlling the camera from the PC), as wheatfield said.

If you want to transfer files with the computer hooked to the PC, I believe you need to turn the camera on after connecting it to the computer. At least that's the rule with my k100d.

If you're just looking for the big screen to evaluate shots, you can tether to an HD tv or monitor with an HDMI cable. Note that HDMI cables vary widely in price, shop around if you're looking to get a long one.

Eye-fi cards are another way to potentially create a sudo-tether depending on your purposes.