Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax *ist DL2 and wireless flash

I just picked up a Sigma EF-500 Super flashgun, and was reading in the manual about wireless flash triggering.

The manual (and Pentax's own web site) says that you cannot use the built-in flash as the trigger for an external flash on recent camera models. You can do it with (I believe) the DS, but not the DS2, DL, DL2, or K100D.

My questions are: Why? And is there anything that can be done about it, short of buying a second flash?

I don't mind getting a cable and hotshoe adapter for when I want off-camera flash, but the wireless flash bit is super cool and convenient.

09-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wireless Flash can only be triggered by the on board flash on the ist* D and the K10D models. All others require an external flash of the same brand mounted on the hot shoe.
09-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Roscot. I already knew that, and I said as much in my original post. My question was why.
09-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They need to save money somewhere for the less expensive models. A little here and a little there adds up. Also it is a way to differentiate entry level to intermediate level cameras.