Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 485
Post your k7 low light high ISO shots raw

I'd like to see low light K7 high ISO raw images.
Thanks. Does anyone here use Aperture?

10-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 13
Here you go:




1/8sec, f2.8, ISO 6400 - about the worst possible lighting conditions! Shot in almost complete darkness, with the only lighting from the LEDs of my car's centre console.

I'd happily upload a DNG of the file, but I'm not sure where to put it - any help would be appreciated.
10-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,331
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I'd like to see low light K7 high ISO raw images.
Thanks. Does anyone here use Aperture?
I have tons of them .... just have to find them.
Back here soon.

JP
10-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,331
QuoteOriginally posted by csimpson Quote
Here you go:




1/8sec, f2.8, ISO 6400 - about the worst possible lighting conditions! Shot in almost complete darkness, with the only lighting from the LEDs of my car's centre console.

I'd happily upload a DNG of the file, but I'm not sure where to put it - any help would be appreciated.
I just love the light in that pic. Grainy? Somewhat so but just the right kind of "grain" to make it a good pic!

JP

10-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 13
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I just love the light in that pic. Grainy? Somewhat so but just the right kind of "grain" to make it a good pic!

JP
Thanks. It was a quick snap with my shiny new 35/2.8

Full size JPG here (directly converted from DNG in Lightroom 3.3, with default process settings).
10-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,331
QuoteOriginally posted by csimpson Quote
Thanks. It was a quick snap with my shiny new 35/2.8

Full size JPG here (directly converted from DNG in Lightroom 3.3, with default process settings).
Great!

There is a little "something" in that high ISO pic, the fine grain that is, which almost makes it look like a film based image.
I've found that interesting with my own pics taken with the K7.

There are times when such images are best left alone.

JP
10-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 485
Original Poster
Nice shot! How did you brace for that shot?
10-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 13
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Nice shot! How did you brace for that shot?
I think the major contributor was the fact that I was sitting back in the car's seat, elbows held against my torso. I often pull off 1/8sec shots with my 15 LTD, but at the moment 1/15sec seems to be the lower threshold for success on my 35 LTD.

10-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 485
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csimpson Quote
I think the major contributor was the fact that I was sitting back in the car's seat, elbows held against my torso. I often pull off 1/8sec shots with my 15 LTD, but at the moment 1/15sec seems to be the lower threshold for success on my 35 LTD.
Very nice indeed. I have never shot raw with my K7. I think I'm going to start. I have Aperture 3 to convert. I am really starting to like my K7.
10-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
JHD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by csimpson Quote
Here you go:




1/8sec, f2.8, ISO 6400 - about the worst possible lighting conditions! Shot in almost complete darkness, with the only lighting from the LEDs of my car's centre console.
Try doing that with film.
10-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 13
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Try doing that with film.
The versatility of a digital sensor... I also shoot with a pair of Olympus Trip 35s and 400 ASA/100 ASA films - and while they're wonderfully simple (zone focusing, very basic aperture control, two shutter speeds) it's nowhere near as easy and my keeper rate is far lower.
10-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #12
JHD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,407
Actually it could be done with ASA 100 film and 6 more stops of time (8 seconds) at the same apeture on a tripod.
10-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,977
QuoteQuote:
I'd like to see low light K7 high ISO raw images.
Anything here is processed to be viewable, unless Adam has worked some extra magic.
10-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 13
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Actually it could be done with ASA 100 film and 6 more stops of time (8 seconds) at the same apeture on a tripod.
Oh, absolutely, but that would require a tripod inside my car which would be an interesting experience to say the least.
10-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by csimpson Quote
Oh, absolutely, but that would require a tripod inside my car which would be an interesting experience to say the least.
You don't need a tripod - just cut down on the coffee !
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, iso, iso shots, k7, light, light high iso, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 low light/High ISO samples johnmflores Pentax K-5 21 04-19-2011 05:03 PM
Post your k7 low light high ISO shots Tony3d Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 10-21-2010 01:28 PM
Help with KX, Low Light, and High ISO dmfw Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 04-01-2010 11:38 PM
K200D low light/high iso performance indytax Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 02-07-2009 07:49 PM
Low light shooting capabilities GX20 at low ISO cabstar Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 12-04-2008 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top