Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-x Broken AF/AE-L Button

I looked at a previous thread where someone did a DIY repair to their K20D for the AF/AE-L Button. It's invaluable when I need to capture things quickly when AF or Trap focus does not cut it.

I've had my K-x for just almost a year, and today the AF/AE-L Button broke. I'm looking into some DIY myself, and I was wondering if anyone had any clue how to replace this button, whether it's a service manual for the K-x, or a guide to disassemble.

Any help would be great, Thanks!

10-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just lift the top and you can remove the button. I am not sure if Pentax sells the button only. I know they have the whole top which won't be cheap.
10-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

By 'broke' do you simply mean 'stopped working', rather than 'got smashed against the concrete' type of broke?

Maybe there is just some dust or grime in the button getting in the way of the switch, in which case a good blow out might do the trick.

I am also presuming that you haven't just accidentally adjusted something in the menus to change how the AF/AEL works, giving the impression that the button is flawed.

Having said all that, it would be interesting to see a K-x service manual, if anyone knows of one anywhere. Would be a handy reference.
10-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies. No, I did not change the settings on the AF/AEL button. Normally, I would expect the back LCD to black out when I perform cancel AF.

But yes, to clarify, it stopped working, and not smashed up

The button feels jammed, I don't feel any clicking when I try to press the button. I speculate that the electromechanical switch below the plastic button broke. I read from another thread that someone DIY soldered a replacement from Digikey, with parts costing $.20 and tax. I am interested in doing that myself, but would like to have some verification first before diving in, since this is my only DSLR.

10-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It is also possible Pentax Canada might have that switch in stock. You have to figure out the actual problem though. But if you don't feel the click, either the plastic button pin was broken or the switch was misaligned. You have to open it up 1st b4 you can tell.
10-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
Since it's covered by warranty, I'll look into that first before breaking it apart. I guess no one else has encountered this problem on their K-x so far then.