Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #16

To be perfectly honest I'm a bit astonished that so many have problems with using their cameras with glasses on. I never take off my glasses and I have never thought that I have a problem. I can't press my eye into the eyecup and I don't get home-theater-view as I should, instead I get strong realtime vignetting, but that hasn't worried me slightest. Because viewfinder doesn't cover 100% anyway I frame approximately all the time anyway. And I still can manual focus. I consider glasses my little handicap, which makes photographing uncomfortable, but not impossible.

Though yes, sideways sun shining through is a problem. I have to use my other hand for cover then.

09-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #17
Inactive Account

As I mentioned before, Canon has that eye piece extender that works wonders for eye glass wearers. I don't care that the image is smaller, so long as I can see the whole thing at a quick glance. But that does not help us here for Pentax.

Hmmmm....I don't think Pentax has anything similar. In another thread, there was a wonderful fellow who posted this link:

http://www.pentax.co.uk/downloads/lenses/uk/DSLR_Lenses_Catalogue_UK.pdf

On page 22/23, are Pentax's viewfinder accessories. You might want to try "Finder LoupeO-ME53". This looks a bit better then the Pentax 2x magnifier FB that I just recently bought. Maybe this could help?
09-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I read somewhere that the O-ME53 makes it harder to see the info line for glasses wearers due to vignetting.
09-15-2007, 04:22 AM   #19
Inactive Account

That could very well be. I am not familiar with this product.

10-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
Forum Member

Ok, so while looking through my manual, found something I completely missed before. Yes, Pentax does make other diopters for more adjustment. Don't know much about them, but here's a site selling a bunch of them:

Pentax (search for diopter)

And they're listed in the K10D manual as an accessory.

!c
10-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a question for you guys..

Is this normal?

I have 20/20 vision as documented on a recent eye test. When looking through the diopter I need to set the adjuster lever all the way to the right, far right lock, to see the framing lines.
10-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Here's a question for you guys..

Is this normal?

I have 20/20 vision as documented on a recent eye test. When looking through the diopter I need to set the adjuster lever all the way to the right, far right lock, to see the framing lines.
I think yoou will find that there is a difference between looking at something 20 feet away, (20/20 vision) and focusing on the viewing screen.

At one time the nominal diopter adjustment for many film slrs was about -1 diopter if memory serves me correctly

10-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
At one time the nominal diopter adjustment for many film slrs was about -1 diopter if memory serves me correctly
According to the site selling the diopter adjusters, it claims the pentax diopter is -1. So, even with perfect near vision, you'd probably want to adjust it up a bit.

!c
10-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I am in much the same position as Aabram. I have to wear spec's all the time. I have adapted to it and now seem to cope fairly well. The little problem Aabram mentions are likewise with me, but what the heck, it's no big deal.
I manage and am pretty satisfied with my focussing results.
I have a couple of M lens and I have been able to cope with them as well.
It may be that it's going to get harder in time , but well,... a day at a time, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
11-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterdrone Quote
Is there any way to get a more powerful diopter for the K10D?
Sure. The "Pentax Diopter Correction Lens Adaptor M" is available from -5 to +3 per meter. It should be listed in your manual under accessories.
11-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I wear trifocals and take them off usually when shooting. I will leave them on sometimes when using auto focus but I have trouble seeing in the viewfinder with them on and I can't see any of the info displayed in the viewfinder with my glasses on as the screen is cropped. There is probably some sort of solution for this but I didn't start wearing glasses until my mid 40's and have never got used to using a camera with them on so I take them off. The same is true for sunglasses also, I have to take them off.
11-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I do adjustments with glasses on.
11-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Pics being out of focus shouldn't have anything to to with the OP wearing glasses?

There is autofocus with solid green light when correct focus acquired and manual focus with much the same assistance

PS - Guys if you are able to wear contacts (not everyone can) do your self a favour and get them. Mine are for normal vision but still need glasses of +1 for reading purposes - still frustrating as heck (coming from a 20/20 until 44) - so its take photo without glasses - on with em to chimp or change settings etc.
11-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I adjust the diopter setting with my glasses on. With my glasses off, none of the diopter settings gives me a clear view through the view finder.
Same here. Works well adjusted for glasses. I wear progressive zoom lenses, so i have to watch were i set my eye in the finder.

Dave
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I've been wearing glasses since I was 8, and I keep them on for using the camera. I'm
near sighted so if I take them off I can't see my subject if it's more than a few feet away!
I have the diopter adjustment set to work with my glasses. I do a lot of manual focus
and it works OK for me.