Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Just take the camera out of the box, put it on the edge of the counter, in straight line with the counter.
Make a test shot. Zoom in, in replay mode, on the opposite edge. It should be horizontal. If it is not, don't take that item.
Actually that only proves that the CCD is aligned with the base of the camera, the widely reported problem is to do with physical finder alignment whether it be related to rotated prism, focus screen or badly set mirror.

Looking though the finder with the camera on the counter pointed at something square with the counter should give a decent indication if the finder is displaying some kind of rotation. I don't believe that any firmware fix can remedy this problem.

11-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Actually that only proves that the CCD is aligned with the base of the camera, the widely reported problem is to do with physical finder alignment whether it be related to rotated prism, focus screen or badly set mirror.

Looking though the finder with the camera on the counter pointed at something square with the counter should give a decent indication if the finder is displaying some kind of rotation. I don't believe that any firmware fix can remedy this problem.
Yes, you are right.
If you do both, you will be sure that the prism is Ok and that the image stabilization doesn't keep the CCD rotated.

- Bert
11-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone here tried a "G" screen - the one with the architectural grid? I have one for my MZ-S and also for the SF-1. I tend not to rely on the viewfinder frame and use the lines on the screen. Maybe I should order one for the K10D as well.

I just did a very unscientific test with my MZ-S (in the absence of the K10D en route) on my bookshelves, and the architectural "G" screen does not agree perfectly with the edge of the viewfinder. Maybe it has been like this forever, and we never noticed because of the masking in printing and slides.

How interesting! I will have to take some tests with the K10D when it arrives. I'll use my virtually distortion free M 100/4 macro on my Manfrotto 055 tripod.
11-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'll use my virtually distortion free M 100/4 macro on my Manfrotto 055 tripod.
Name-dropping again, are we...?

11-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I've found many a tilted horizon in my shots, and it's always in the same direction (the opposite of what you'd expect if it was due to overenthusiastic shutter pressing). So I conducted some tests on a table, and then with a tripod, aligning vertical and horizontal object lines with the viewfinder markings and edges.

Turns out I'm crap at holding the camera level while shooting, which, after going through this thread, is actually a relief. Yay! I'm rubbish!
11-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #51

Original Poster
I recieved my K10D back yesterday and I need to say that the veiwfinder alignment is now dead straight. I would probably be able to use one of those cross lined focusing screens with excellent results now. So all of those who has encountered the same problem; It can be fixed!

Now, the "only" issue here was the 8 week long service time and the lack of information about what caused the problem AND why it took so long to fix.

// Mats
11-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Good to hear Mats, as I sent mine in today it was off about .75 deg I was tired of straightening in PP. I waited to get a backup (k100 super) with the money I was saving for the 43mm limited. Oh well I like the k100 and looks like it will do IR handheld too

11-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #53
Forum Member

Bonjour Mats,

Nice to hear from you and thank you for sharing this happy end! My K10D has been under repair for 3 weeks now and I can hardly imaging waiting more weeks...

Best regards,
11-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #54
Inactive Account

arghhhh... I just did a test and my view finder is off by about 1 degree =/ I sent my k10d off for repair due to dead pixels a while back and it was gone for over a month... im pretty sure you can speed the repair time up for a 40 dollar fee, that's what ive heard anyway's... I sent in a question via the pentax support site about the leaning problem and if it can be taken care quickly if I were to pay the fee to speed things up.... im actually debating to even mess with it, the whole process is so aggravating... I guess if it can be fixed quickly.... and they can in fact fix it under warranty I may as well send it in while I can.... if they can do it under warranty , ill prob send it in, but im defiantly going to pay the extra 40 bucks, I don't wanna spend another month , actually over a month, waiting for it to get back lol....
11-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #55

hi, im just curious what batch of K10D are affected with this allignment problem? just purchase my K10D a few weeks back from BHPhoto NY and am about to recieve it this nov. 25th.
11-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry about it zac31, mine was close to a year old and I think if the problem was widespread certain detractors would be all over it.
11-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
My images coming from the K10D is leaning to the right.

Checking and a straight line (horizon or whatever) in the veiwfinder on a tripod and shoothing dead straight results in a leaning picture. This issue came up on the Swedish forum and it seems that qiute a few camera bodies suffer from this as the repair deparment in Sweden has gotten a lot of retuned K10D bodies due to this.

Anyone here who recognizes this here on the board?

Thank you,

// Mats
Finally, an official answer to your question and experienced problem has been announced / published. Full story:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Pentax Admits The "Tilted Viewfinder" Problem, Finally.

Hope this helps.
11-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #58

tnx borno for making my mind at ease. but im hoping that my purchase wont be affected with this. to save me for all the hassle of sending it back to repair. imagine 8 weeks without taking photos.
11-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zac31 Quote
tnx borno for making my mind at ease. but im hoping that my purchase wont be affected with this. to save me for all the hassle of sending it back to repair. imagine 8 weeks without taking photos.
Good luck to you. Just turn off the AF red indication marks just in case and do take more care when you look through the viewfinder, to ensure even black border thicknesses at all four sides! :-)
11-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I should have put my boots on