Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #61

tnx ricehigh for the info.

11-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery
I just realized I have this same problem. When leveling the shot in the viewfinder the end result is rotated slightly clockwise. If I rotate the image in the viewfinder slightly clockwise then the end result seems level. Is this a viewfinder problem or is the sensor misaligned?
11-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramshot Quote
I just realized I have this same problem. When leveling the shot in the viewfinder the end result is rotated slightly clockwise. If I rotate the image in the viewfinder slightly clockwise then the end result seems level. Is this a viewfinder problem or is the sensor misaligned?
That's a symptom of the VF system in misalignment. To confirm take a shot of something flat stacked on a table with the camera placed on the same table, the finder should view should look tilted but the recorded image should be level.

This is not an uncommon problem at this stage, without delving into Chinese forums I've found well over 100 comments such as yours on various forums from individuals. No other single complaint about the K10D has been so widely reported other than possibly the open aperture metering issue with older lenses when using the standard finder.

Cheers,

Last edited by distudio; 11-18-2007 at 03:07 PM.
11-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, so Pentax admits the veiwfinder misalignment on some units. That´s good to hear that our problem has been recognized by them.

I have also been waiting for some kind of statement about the known stop down metering issue for a year now, but nothing has shown up about this from Pentax. Luckily some innovative users came up with the solution by installing a *istDS fousing screen (LF60) and...... problem solved.

RiceHigh;

I didn´t manage to read all the stuff that was written in Chinese through babelfish, so could you tell me if the one year extended warranty, for those who had this issue, is officially posted by Pentax some other place on the net (preferably in English)? Sounds like a fair compensation for my 8 weeks of waiting.

distudio;

How about your turnaround in this? Have you recieved your camera back with the veiwfinder fixed?

// Mats

11-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
distudio;

How about your turnaround in this? Have you recieved your camera back with the veiwfinder fixed?
I've not received a word from my local authorized distributors/repairers since I sent my camera for rectification of the finder tilt problem (the second time) on 30/10/07, the first trip (finder tilt not repaired) was 29 days.

Cheers,
11-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #66
Inactive Account

well its good to know that pentax has admitted that the problem does in fact exist. i can rest easy now that i wont have to battle with them lol... ill send it off sometime this month and pay the 40 dollars to get it back quicker... forget waiting 8 weeks... i did that with my dead pixel fix and thats a long time! i can afford the 40 dollars to bypass the long wait! so this isnt all a bad thing... ill get my warranty extended, plus my view finder fixed all for 40 bucks.... not bad when you think about it

Last edited by pentaxbling; 11-19-2007 at 12:30 AM.
11-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
well its good to know that pentax has admitted that the problem does in fact exist. i can rest easy now that i wont have to battle with them lol... ill problem send it off sometime this month and pay the 40 dollars to get it back quicker... forget waiting 8 weeks... i did that with my dead pixel fix and thats a long time! i can afford the 40 dollars to bypass the long wait! so this isnt all a bad thing... ill get my warranty extended, plus my view finder fixed all for 40 bucks.... not bad when you think about it
There's no indication that I'm aware of that the quoted Chinese policy has been adopted elsewhere. It would be great if it is but I'm not holding my breath waiting.
11-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #68
Inactive Account

Well, I called Pentax customer service today and spoke with one of the reps there. I told him about my problem with the leaning viewfinder in my K10D and asked if it could be fixed. He said to send it in and they would fix it... I asked about the 40 dollar rush service and he said they are not doing rush service now because they have so many cameras in... So... My only options are to either deal with it or bite the bullet and deal with not having the camera for another long stretch... I have to say im pretty disappointed in both Pentax's customer service as well as quality assurance right now... :/

::edit::

so exactly how many success story's are there with the leaning view finder being repaired?

11-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #69

Photos: Gallery
I am sorry to hear of so many people having leaning viewfinders. If it makes anyone feel any better my Nikon D50 did the same thing. Yes, at times it bugged me. To be honest though, I just kept shooting pictures and enjoying photography. I sold the D50 (so I could upgrade to my K10D), tilted viewfinder and all, to a gentleman who is perfectly happy with it. Also, not once have I ever had a friend or family member say, "Your pictures look crooked". Usually I had to point it out to them. And I sometimes did. As for my K10, I have not even worried enough about the issue to look for it. Then again, with my style of photography a leaning viewfinder may not be evident enough to see without studying the pictures.

I am not trying to belittle anyone who feels this is an issue. I do hope everyone ends up satisfied no matter what course they choose. In the case of my D50, I just chose to live with it.
11-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CharlieO Quote
I am sorry to hear of so many people having leaning viewfinders. If it makes anyone feel any better my Nikon D50 did the same thing. Yes, at times it bugged me. To be honest though, I just kept shooting pictures and enjoying photography. I sold the D50 (so I could upgrade to my K10D), tilted viewfinder and all, to a gentleman who is perfectly happy with it. Also, not once have I ever had a friend or family member say, "Your pictures look crooked". Usually I had to point it out to them. And I sometimes did. As for my K10, I have not even worried enough about the issue to look for it. Then again, with my style of photography a leaning viewfinder may not be evident enough to see without studying the pictures.

I am not trying to belittle anyone who feels this is an issue. I do hope everyone ends up satisfied no matter what course they choose. In the case of my D50, I just chose to live with it.
I know what you mean CharlieO... In all honesty its pretty silly that this has become such a wide spread topic on the forums causing so many people to get so upsetlol ... Then again, you figure you pay for a top shelf camera, you want top shelf quality; however, there really is no such thing as perfection. we can all get so worked up over little asinine details sometime that we forget why we bought the camera... to take pictures!im not sending mine in until after new years because i want to have it to take family pictures over the holidays... and really the only reason im sending it is because its under the one year warranty and they will fix it for free... if it wasn't I don't think id pay the hefty repair bill that pentax charges to get rid of that little bit of tilt there in the viewfinder... thanks for chiming in with your laid back view...i think quite a few of us can learn something for you.... I myself have gotten a bit tired of all the what's new who's got what, whats better than this world of dslrs. by the end of the month i hope to have my darkroom set up and ill be shooting quite a bit of old school silver black and white, doing my own developing as well as printing... a breath of fresh air... true photography... but then again, any photography is truephotography if you let it be just that... taking pictures.... anyways, ramble over lol....
11-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #71

Well for me its not so much being upset that there is this problem with my k10d. Its the support and customer service. Anything as complex as a dSLR is bound to have the "occasional" problem. This seems to have crossed from "isolated problems" to quite widespread.

At this point the right thing for Pentax to do (or at this point to have already done) is to acknowledge the problem (apparently Pentax China has) and a plan to repair or replace in an efficient manner. So far it sounds like very few people who have suffered the dismally slow warranty service experience still havent received satisfactory repair of the issue. There have been a handful of people who have had their camera bodies replaced (I've found one person who received a replacement that was worse than the one they had originally). Now if your paying a premium for the top of the line model they offer and for a better brand name, you expect them to stand behind it, acknowledge problems and solve them quickly.

You dont buy a top of the line mercedes or bmw and expect when there is a problem to have slower and more unresponsive than that of someone purchasing a low end chevy... maybe not the best analogy, but bottom line is this is their top of the line flagship camera. People spent good money on their cameras and in some cases dumping other systems and switching to Pentax just to receive pathetically sad customer service and response to the problem.

They might still get ahead of this, and should have done this a while ago.

Acknowledge the problem
Setup a reasonably quick exchange program to cut the time down to 2 weeks 3 weeks tops

Right now they officially "claim" a turnaround time that is about half of what reality is for most people.
So what I send my camera in and go without for the holidays and my cruise in January
Buy a replacement body while I wait for this to be repaired? then sell it later?
keep it for the holidays and my cruise and lose out on warranty?

Not really great choices
11-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #72
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrchris Quote
So what I send my camera in and go without for the holidays and my cruise in January
Buy a replacement body while I wait for this to be repaired? then sell it later?
keep it for the holidays and my cruise and lose out on warranty?
Since you´re bringing this up..... I actually bought a Canon 40D with a 17-40/4 L lens when seven weeks had passed of the service time.
I really had a hard time without a (digital) camera and I needed it for my work. One week later the K10DE arrived back...

Will this make me a bad Pentaxician? Well, I will still have the MX and the K10D with lenses, but will also be able to compare until I´ve decided what I want to keep.

A bit sad, since my Pentax story goes way back to the early -70´s and the K10D was my first DSLR.

Ok, now you know... Please don´t shoot me!

// Mats
11-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #73
Veteran Member

A bit sad, since my Pentax story goes way back to the early -70´s and the K10D was my first DSLR.
It sounds like you have a similar dilemma to me, loss of confidence in Pentax bodies/service and lots of nice Pentax glass that would be difficult to give up.

Last edited by distudio; 11-20-2007 at 02:00 PM.
11-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #74

Since you´re bringing this up..... I actually bought a Canon 40D with a 17-40/4 L lens when seven weeks had passed of the service time.
I really had a hard time without a (digital) camera and I needed it for my work. One week later the K10DE arrived back...

Will this make me a bad Pentaxician? Well, I will still have the MX and the K10D with lenses, but will also be able to compare until I´ve decided what I want to keep.

Ok, now you know... Please don´t shoot me!

// Mats
Well that's kind of where I am, the more i think about it the more the vf bothers me, but I just can't live without it.....

Do I buy a replacement body why they fix it? Or if I am at that point, write Pentax off and change to another system? So how is the 40D??
11-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update on my service at colorado- I sent my k10 wed. they got it fri. and I called today (tue.) and it is logged in and with a tech. and I have a repair number so it might not take too long. I will give a report when I know something more. I didn't want to give up my k10d either but the warranty was running low so I took advantage of the k100 super deal - lucky I had some dough saved up, I don't like using family money for my habit- I mean hobby