Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pictures lost after turning camera off and back on! (K7) Help!

Hi all,

Today I was out with some friends and their 2 year old boy. I was taking photos out at the park and everything seemed to be working fine on my K7. The 16GB SDHC card (recently purchased) was formatted in camera and I have been using it for the past few weeks. It has an assortment of videos & photos from the past few weeks on it.

So about half way through I noticed that when I went into PREVIEW, the pictures I had taken a few minutes before were now gone and the only ones I could see were from the past few weeks and the ones that I had just taken since I turned the camera back on. I realized after doing some quick tests, that what was happening was the photos I was taking at the time would appear to save on the card fine, I could preview them and look through them. However, as soon as I turned my camera off and back on, all those recently taken pictures were now gone!

I quickly took the card out of the camera and put it in a card reader when I got home and no luck, the pictures no longer existed...

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

All the pictures i've taken over the past two weeks are still fine, just the ones I was taking today disappeared after turning the camera off and back on.

10-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Koenig Quote
Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
No, you are the first. Most likely a card problem
Never the less, that suck`s
10-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I did try searching for similar reports...and couldn't really find any. I found another thread that mentioned the camera stating that the image would not be saved or that there was a memory card issue, did I didn't get that in this case.

Is there a solution to this or is it an actual hardware failure of the memory card? I was pondering with the idea that it could be from Windows messing with thumbnails, etc, when I take the card out of the camera and use a card reader to open it up on the computer.
10-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try a program called recuva to see if it can find the missing photos. Windows does not touch the original files when making thumbnails, only creates a hidden file called thumb.db. It would not be created on the card.
You didn't state what format you were saving them as or what program you were importing them with. Could be the raw files are there but the jpegs got messed up if shooting Raw + jpeg.
Definitely suspect a card problem over a camera problem. Replace the card asap. I only use quality cards as I feel you get what you pay for when purchasing media.