Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Weather Resistance? yeah how about coke resistance?

Pentax K7 can really withstand the weather! and... coke!!!

lol, I took the risk

my camera was soaking wet with coke zero yesterday at the Mentos / Coke Geyser Guiness World Record Attempt!!

I didn't get a picture of it, I have no other camera with me, too bad, and the coke is drying up fast, I don't want to my K7 to be sticky..

it could have been very phenomenal!

**OT - Philippines now has the world record of having almost 3,000 coke geysers to be exploded (i dont know the term sorry) all at once! **

10-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote

lol, I took the risk

my camera was soaking wet with coke zero yesterday at the Mentos / Coke Geyser Guiness World Record Attempt!!

I didn't get a picture of it, I have no other camera with me, too bad, and the coke is drying up fast, I don't want to my K7 to be sticky..

**OT - Philippines now has the world record of having almost 3,000 coke geysers to be exploded (i dont know the term sorry) all at once! **
Since the camera is more or less watertight I would rinse the dried up coke off as much as I can. Alternatively you can leave it on for better grip!
10-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Since the camera is more or less watertight I would rinse the dried up coke off as much as I can. Alternatively you can leave it on for better grip!
that sounds kind of...tacky.

couldn't resist.

I would definitely take it in the shower after a coke bath!
10-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
actually, after the event it rained,
so it is a perfect timing to give my camera a bath,..

K7 held up phenomenally well, I didn't, I got a cold due to taking a bath in the rain

10-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Coke Zero shouldn't be that sticky, since it has no sugar in it.
10-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
Coke Zero shouldn't be that sticky, since it has no sugar in it.
I was going to say that! As a long time Diet Coke drinker (I started with Tab in 1966) I know the diet sodas don't leave a sugary residue.
10-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #7

Mine resisted a full glass of beer last week, I just shake it off after and still
no problem today exept the lens hood was pretty stiky.

pentax is not only water proof, it's idiot proof... perfect camera for me

10-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
Oh yeah! that's why the coke feels just like water on the K7 lol
now I see its because there is no sugar..

anyway I agree gab124 -- its the perfect camera for me as well
10-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #9

Hi people,

This thread has caused a question to pop into my head:

Does the K-5 come with some sort of cap to go where the lens attaches, which is waterproof?

The reason I ask is that i'm planning to buy a non-WR lens to go with mine, and if something gets spilled on the camera body i won't be able to just spray water over my whole rig and wipe dry. I will have to take off the lens first and deal with that seperately. But that leaves a big hole in the WR of the body!!!
10-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote

lol, I took the risk

All coke such carbonated beverages are acidic...drop a nail into a glass/bottle of coke and come back a week later to look at the surface of the nail and decide if your camera is safe.

If you did not rinse off your camera you have induced a potential risk to any surface where the coke liquid was allowed to dry. These places now have a greatly increased chance of corrosions. On the body it should not matter but the seals will be weaken and likely have the useful lifespan reduced. If the areas are dry already it's too late because you can't get into the recessed areas where name of the seals with exposure to the outside world reside.

So it's nor all sunshine and rainbows...but darn it sounds like it was silly fun!!