Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #1

eldonk200d

I was using my K200d camera whilst on holiday and it started playing up, well not particularly sure it was playing up.

While I was in a museum, lighting was a bit low, my camera started playing up. My camera lens started automatically zooming in and out plus the pop-up flash started to pop-up and flash like it was sensing the light level.

Is there a solution to fixing this possible problem other than turning off the camera while not taking photos.

Thanking you

10-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EldonK200d Quote
I was using my K200d camera whilst on holiday and it started playing up, well not particularly sure it was playing up.

While I was in a museum, lighting was a bit low, my camera started playing up. My camera lens started automatically zooming in and out plus the pop-up flash started to pop-up and flash like it was sensing the light level.

Is there a solution to fixing this possible problem other than turning off the camera while not taking photos.

Thanking you
I don't have any experience with the K200d so no specific answer from me but please explain the zoom lens part. Or do you mean the auto-focus was automatically working as if the camera developed a mind of it's own?

10-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In really low light levels the K200D isn't too good at autofocusing.
If it's really dark there wont be enough light for the autofocus sensor to see anything to focus on, even though you might be able to see it just fine with your eyes. The symptom is that the K200D will hunt back and forth trying to find something for AF to lock onto. The flash can and will also strobe in an attempt to provide light for the AF sensor...

So if it was really dark, I would expect this behaviour - I have seen it before. The remedy is to either manually focus or put your camera on a tripod.

p.s. - Welcome from another Perth AUS Pentaxian
10-19-2010, 04:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
In really low light levels the K200D isn't too good at autofocusing.
If it's really dark there wont be enough light for the autofocus sensor to see anything to focus on, even though you might be able to see it just fine with your eyes. The symptom is that the K200D will hunt back and forth trying to find something for AF to lock onto. The flash can and will also strobe in an attempt to provide light for the AF sensor...

So if it was really dark, I would expect this behaviour - I have seen it before. The remedy is to either manually focus or put your camera on a tripod.

p.s. - Welcome from another Perth AUS Pentaxian
Thanks Goddo31. It really helped. I will remember that next time I'm in a really dark space.