Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

Manual lens question

I am pretty sure the answer is no, but is there any mode(I have a K10D) that will will adjust shutter speed when I change my aperture manually, or does it only give me auto shutter or ISO or both, but only at max aperture? Thanks

Patrick

10-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
well... the camera can meter and adjust to proper shutter speed at any given aperture (with manual lens, and in M mode), as long as you tell it to do it by pressing the green button (I don't know if you have to change the green button setting though). On my K-x, I use the + / - button to do it. I don't know if it answers your question, but try it out and let us know. You can also do a search for stop down metering.
Basically, put the camera in M mode, set your desired aperture with the aperture ring, press the green button so that you camera can close down the aperture and meter, and then, well, take your picture.
10-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pdxbmw Quote
I am pretty sure the answer is no, but is there any mode(I have a K10D) that will will adjust shutter speed when I change my aperture manually, or does it only give me auto shutter or ISO or both, but only at max aperture? Thanks

Patrick
You have a green button, right?

Set your camera to M mode. Adjust aperture. Hit the Green button to get the correct shutter speed. (Defaults for your Green button will vary, so that may need to be set. It's called "Tv Shift" in the Green Button settings submenu.)

As far as auto ISO works, forget that with manual lenses, and set your menu to fixed and adjust it depending on the day's conditions.

Like I'm implying, I don't know the 10D, but I'm guessing these elements are the same as all of the later models.
10-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I prefer to use the depth of field preview switch and use the + & - display, I'm used to the demands of some of my lenses now and know how many stops each way to go to get the desired combination of speed and aperture, obviously with the aperture set on the lens.
This is good when it's on a tripod as the display is on the top.

10-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

A couple of notes here

On the K10D, but most comments apply to all pentax DSLRs

If you have a lens with no A on it, the only mode that the camera will stop the lens down is M (Manual)

The normal uses are as follows:

With the green button (Or AE button on cameras with no green button) set the aperture you want and press the green button. the camera will set the shutter speed accordingly

With the DOF Preview (turn th eon off switch past on) the lens will stop down and the meter will be activated, showing the exposure your selections have given in a +/- scale against correct exposure.

DOF preview is useful to check xposure without changing settings, green button is useful to set the settings initially.

Note also, on the K10D and K20D specifically but to some extent all cameras, the metering is not perfect.

the chart below shows the metering error of the *istD, K10D, and K7 D, as well as the K10D with a split image focsing screen and the *istD screen.

The test was to shoot images at each aperture against a uniformly lit block wall, and to measure the greyscale of the central 10% of th eimage with a photo editor (I use PSP X3 but any editor should be capable) . Each 40-45 greyscale represents 1 stop between 25 and 230 greyscale.

All tests done with the same lens, but most lenses are similar.
10-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Patrick
They do go on about the green button eh ?

is there any mode(I have a K10D) that will will adjust shutter speed when I change my aperture manually

yes it is the Tv mode.
You need a lens that stops down manually ie pre K and M series. Takumars etc.
You can stop down and shot after focusing, by using the aperture ring or the man/auto lever.
Dial in any +/- compensation and Bobs your aunty

edit
just had a wee play with the Takumar 24/3.5
nice to see the shutter speed dance across the range as the auto lever is slid over.

Pete

Last edited by Transit; 10-18-2010 at 02:21 PM.
10-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

no mention of using Av or Tv in there Adam

edit :
I realise this method restricts one to pre -1970 lenses
but the silky stopping down of a preset in Av is something to savour and be greatful for

Last edited by Transit; 10-18-2010 at 02:45 PM.
10-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Transit, that was the info I was looking for. I was a little vague in my question, my bad. I hadn't used my M42's in a while and knew there was a way to get the shutter speed to work with the aperture, minus the green button. Thanks for bridging the gap in my memory.

Patrick
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the replies. Transit, that was the info I was looking for. I was a little vague in my question, my bad. I hadn't used my M42's in a while and knew there was a way to get the shutter speed to work with the aperture, minus the green button. Thanks for bridging the gap in my memory.

Patrick
No worries Mate