Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

Will Class 10 memory card help with preview speed (K-7)?

Hi, I am currently using an 8GB PQI Class 6 SD card for my K7.
You might know that when you preview the pictures on the camera, they first appear in smaller resolution, then "snap in" the correct resolution after a second.
This is mildly annoying.
I am thinking of buying a higher class memory card such as this, for example:
PQI 16GB 150X Secure Digital High Capacity SDHC Card (Class 10), Model PQI-FSC-SDHC1016GB - Meritline.com
Anybody has experience with class 10 cards and whether they help with the speed of the preview on K7?
Thanks in advance.

10-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #2

I would be curious about this. If I were a betting man, however, I bet they don't - my guess is that the bottleneck on the K-7 is the camera's own processor. Has anyone actually done any testing on this?
10-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Class 6 is 6MB/s. So if you're in burst mode, the camera will be able to write faster with a class 10 card (10MB/s).

However, when you're doing the instant preview the camera isn't reading from the card, but it's buffer memory. It's writing to the card while you're looking at the preview. That's why the light is on while you're looking at the preview on the back.

So I doubt a faster card would make the preview appear any faster.
10-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see no difference between a 6 and a 10 on my K7. sounds a bit anal to me.