Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #1

K-7 Defective Sensors?

Hello , I just ordered a used K-7 on the forum from the market place. Below in a recent thread I read this

"I guess I am wondering if Hoya has again shot themselves in the foot with the release of their newest "higher end body" like with the sensor of the K-7 which had to be a KNOWN issue but the body was released anyway."

I did some more research and came across the issues with banding and green lines....is this common in K-7s? I would shutter to think I just ordered a camera that could have a defective sensor that the seller might not even know about if he didn't use it in warm weather?

If someone could fill me in on what the issue was and whether I'm at risk I'd really appreciate it. Thanks -LE

10-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd suggest you wait until you get the camera before finding flaws with it.

Once you get it, make sure it is running the latest firmware, then check it out for flaws, and report back.
10-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I had problem with sensor on my K-7, but that was the first batch of cameras that were selling more then year ago. I haven't seen anyone having problems later, so I presume that is not an isue any more and it's pretty much safe to buy K-7 these days. My first K-7 was replaced by Pentax.
10-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I live in Florida, and never had an issue with banding. My only gripe with K7 has been high ISO noise, which is easily fixed with Nik-dfine or Topaz dNoise. Here's a 3200 ISO Image ran through a demo of Topaz. I finally settled on Nikdfine for it's selective noise reduction.

10-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Hello , I just ordered a used K-7 on the forum from the market place. Below in a recent thread I read this

"I guess I am wondering if Hoya has again shot themselves in the foot with the release of their newest "higher end body" like with the sensor of the K-7 which had to be a KNOWN issue but the body was released anyway."

I did some more research and came across the issues with banding and green lines....is this common in K-7s? I would shutter to think I just ordered a camera that could have a defective sensor that the seller might not even know about if he didn't use it in warm weather?

If someone could fill me in on what the issue was and whether I'm at risk I'd really appreciate it. Thanks -LE
The sky is pink.
I read it on the internet so it must be true.
The K7 isn't the best at high ISO, I don't like using mine above ISO640.
Other than that, I've never had any imaging problems.

Internet forums have a habit of blowing small problems way out of proportion, and people who would normally be content with what they own seem compelled to test equipment to destruction and then whine that they have a problem.
10-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do some more research. The Green Line you refer to was fixed in the first firmware release if I remember correctly. As long as you are running the latest, you should be fine.

10-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you get it, update the firmware and enjoy it. Stop worrying.

10-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
REM
Forum Member

I got my K-7 September of last year. I have never experienced green lines, banding, or other strange phenomenon. I also always make sure I have the latest firmware. I live in a hot and humid city. No issues.

Every brand has problems, but problems are usually more vocal than praises. Don't worry.
10-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by REM Quote
I got my K-7 September of last year. I have never experienced green lines, banding, or other strange phenomenon. I also always make sure I have the latest firmware. I live in a hot and humid city. No issues.

Every brand has problems, but problems are usually more vocal than praises. Don't worry.
I can vouch for that extreme heat.
11-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Forum Member

FWIW, I've never seen green banding, but I have seen some magenta banding. I got my K7 early this year - in May I had it into the service center to replace the sensor. It was fine for a few months, but I just noticed that my new sensor has been doing the same thing since roughly August. Argh.
11-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Have you updated the firmware?
11-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #12

I bought my K-7 in June 2009 so it was one of the first batches. Never had a problem; never seen a green line. I upgraded firmware. Never had a problem; never saw a green line.
12-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
Inactive Account

DxOMark - Sensor rankings

The K5 tops the list for APS-C/1.3 sensors, but K7 results not in yet
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uggy Quote
DxOMark - Sensor rankings

The K5 tops the list for APS-C/1.3 sensors, but K7 results not in yet
The K-7 results are out, you probably just didn't scroll down far enough.
In terms of APS-C/1.3 sensors, the K-7 scores 61 and ranks at a paltry 74/115. That's lower than even the K10D, with a score of 66 and rank of 41 or K20D with a score of 65 and rank of 48.

Having said that, I go out and take photos with my K-7 and K10D instead of shooting test charts and taking measurements, and I've been quite content with the photos that I've been getting from both cameras.
12-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Quite right pop4, apologies for unintentionally rubbing salt - I was rather suprised at the poor scoring.

It be tha glass and wee eyeball of an artist that produces beauty where a fool shoots his feet