Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #1

auto-bracketing continuous shooting

Hi everybody,
How exactly continuous shooting with auto-bracketing works on k100d? I tried using it and it sort of works - but I have to press shutter 3 times to get 3 shots, some reviews online however say that it should take a "burst" of 3 shots with 3 different exposures. How does it really works?
Thank you,
Alex

09-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

While in auto-bracketing mode, press and HOLD the shutter release.
09-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

continuous shooting mode performance is dependant on memory storage cards that can keep up with your camera. Unfortunately, these cards usually cost alot.
09-14-2007, 06:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
What would be the fastest one on the market for right now?

09-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamshid Quote
While in auto-bracketing mode, press and HOLD the shutter release.
Yep, this works for me as well.

What is a bit annoying is that it doesn't take photos at the max K10D speed (3fps). It feels like roughly 1/sec and I've tried fast 133x (Corsair) and 150x (Transcend) cards.

Anyone ever get this working at full speed?
09-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AlexTiShark,
I like sandisk cards, but there are several good brands out there so it's your choice.

The 1 thing that I'll warn you about right now is there are more fake cards selling on-line than real cards. So Buyer Beware.
Personally I'd only buy local because of this alone.
Look at this post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/2104-fraudulent-memory-store.html

Our K100's aren't as fast as the fastest cards, so there's no point in buying the fastest one out there.

If I was to buy another one today I'd buy the Sandisk Ultra II SD card.

You'll have to decide what size you want, but I don't recommend anything bigger than 2 gig cards.

You never want to photograph an event on just 1 card, just in case something goes wrong with it. You'd loose all the photographs then
09-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks little laker,
Sandisk Ultra II SD 2G is what I got. I guess I was confused... Just like kenyee said - I was expecting it to be going 3fps and it is not even close to that. Manual has nothing about that and whole bunch of reviews online incorrectly say it is 3fps simply because max shooting speed is. But if you are to try auto-bracketing continuous shooting in low light - it is even slower than 1fps. Thanks everybody for making it clear to me.

09-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3fps rate is based on the shutters true 'open' time being a negligible fraction of the cycle, i.e shutter speeds in the 1/1000 sec or faster range. In a low light (or anything less than well lit situations) 3fps is still the cycle rate but the time the shutter is open makes the actual rate less than 3fps. Then you get to add any card writing delay time too.

I really stuck on the need for continuous bracketed shooting...

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexTiShark Quote
Thanks little laker,
Sandisk Ultra II SD 2G is what I got. I guess I was confused... Just like kenyee said - I was expecting it to be going 3fps and it is not even close to that. Manual has nothing about that and whole bunch of reviews online incorrectly say it is 3fps simply because max shooting speed is. But if you are to try auto-bracketing continuous shooting in low light - it is even slower than 1fps. Thanks everybody for making it clear to me.
09-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ditto on what John said. You can't expect real time 3fps when your shutterspeed is set to half a second, etc.
09-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I really stuck on the need for continuous bracketed shooting...
I was shooting a sunrise across a beach for and HDR pic (you can see it in the recent HDR thread). Because of the slower shutter speed (forgot about that since this is low-light), the waves moved quite a bit, so the resulting HDR pic has smoothed over waves. If I could actually get 3fps, the waves would be closer to where they were and the water would look "sharper" in the final image...
09-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still wondering if you got the message: you cannot make three 1/2 second exposures in 1 second no matter the mechanisms cycle rate. And you could only make three 1/3 second exposures in 1 second if the cycle time was, well zero. THAT would be some camera!

HDR doesn't generally lend itself well to moving subject, no matter the actual exposure time.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I was shooting a sunrise across a beach for and HDR pic (you can see it in the recent HDR thread). Because of the slower shutter speed (forgot about that since this is low-light), the waves moved quite a bit, so the resulting HDR pic has smoothed over waves. If I could actually get 3fps, the waves would be closer to where they were and the water would look "sharper" in the final image...
09-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I'm still wondering if you got the message: you cannot make three 1/2 second exposures in 1 second no matter the mechanisms cycle rate.
jfdavis: I acknowledged this limitation in a previous msg. I was replying to your other comment about "why in the world would you want high speed autobracketing?" and explaining why I wanted it...
09-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jyou cannot make three 1/2 second exposures in 1 second no matter the mechanisms cycle rate. And you could only make three 1/3 second exposures in 1 second if the cycle time was, well zero. [I:
THAT [/I]would be some camera!
Ha! Makes perfect sense now, now I think my question was pretty dumb. Thanks for explaining....