Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should I?

There's a guy that's local to me that has an *ist D where apparently the camera seems to stop working when you use the on board flash. He says it basically slows down and shuts off as if the batteries were drained even when they're not. When he uses the camera without flash everything is fine. It works like a charm.

I'm going to go down and see the camera tomorrow, bring my own Vivitar 2000 flash and see if the camera works with an external flash or not. But I am wondering what might be causing this power drain situation and if I should be going there at all even with an external flash? Is it just that the bulb is winking out or is this something I really should stay away from?

I don't mind using an external flash and he's selling it pretty cheap because of this issue. I'm thinking hard about getting it, using it for a few months till I can get a K-x then keeping it as a backup maybe?

Opinions?

10-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it works fine with the external flash (no battery drain issue) and is a really good deal then go for it. Just keep in mind the resale value isn't going to be much.
10-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I definitely can't quibble at the price. It more than great if the external works. I don't care about the resale value so long as I can get six months or a year out of it really. I still want my K-x but with this in my kit I could afford to wait another six months or a year and maybe even step up to a K-R or a K-7 and in the meantime I'd be able to shoot digital while I am learning which would save me a bundle.

The only thing that worries me is that whatever is causing the camera to power down when using the internal flash might cause it to go out completely in a week or two. I'm not sure of what might be wrong. If it's just a question of using an external flash I'm all set there.
10-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds to me like it might be a short created when the flash is popped up. If that is the case it should have no effect on anything as long as the flash is closed.

10-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm really hoping that's the case. That sounds like what he's describing actually.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It sounds to me like it might be a short created when the flash is popped up. If that is the case it should have no effect on anything as long as the flash is closed.
10-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The *ist D is a good camera. I got a used one for my wife when she thought she'd like to try photography. I keep thinking about buying her something more modern so that I can steal her *ist D to use as my "carry everywhere" camera.
10-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know a site that's selling K2000 new w/the kit lens (mark II) for $369.99 + $5.00 shipping, with a 1 year Pentax warranty. They also accept paypal as a payment method:

http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/tuxedo

moofi.woot.com/moofi/tuxedo

I've been buying from them for years and have been pretty happy with their deals. I bought my K100D from them about 30 months ago.

10-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These are the flash units I currently own. Has anyone used one of these safely on their *ist? I'm gathering that the Vivitar 2000 might be a problem, but I can't quite tell from what I am reading on the others here:

Secrets of Powershot Flash Photography

Vivitar 2000
Kamero KA 70 Flash
Yashica CS-201 Auto Flash
Sun Blitz 100 flash unit
Hanimex XS 14 flash unit
Vivitar auto thyristor 3700 flash unit.

Thanks!
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If TTL works with an external flash, go for it I still use my *istD with my AF 500 FTZ and my M42 lenses it is a very capable little camera
10-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Vivtar 3700

I have a Vivitar 3700 and have used it with the ist DL. It works well as an auto flash with the DL set to manual. The trigger voltage is low, so it's safe. To use it as TTL with the ist D, you would need the proper Vivitar flash module for Pentax TTL.
10-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Darn, that Vivitar 3700 is probably not going to work then. I got it with my Yashica. There's nothing on it that says Yashica as I recall, but I'll have to check it again just to see if it says anything. I don't really have a designated Pentax flash though. Most of mine seem to be generics. Only one is labeled for a particular camera maker, and that's a Yashica one I think. I may have to just take my chances and hope I can figure out something later flash-wise.
10-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Darn, that Vivitar 3700 is probably not going to work then. I got it with my Yashica. There's nothing on it that says Yashica as I recall, but I'll have to check it again just to see if it says anything. I don't really have a designated Pentax flash though. Most of mine seem to be generics. Only one is labeled for a particular camera maker, and that's a Yashica one I think. I may have to just take my chances and hope I can figure out something later flash-wise.
You should still be able to trigger whichever flash you want in manual mode, the module is for TTL flash exposure control. As long as the trigger voltage is safe....but you've already looked in to that.

There could be just a short or small problem causing the issue with the camera. What I would want to know is what caused the problem - you may not be able to find out.

Make sure you get a very good deal on the camera since you really don't know.

Last edited by lowspark86; 10-20-2010 at 12:44 AM.