Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I don't need a K-5, but I'm sure getting one......its just a hobby, a very serious hobby for me.

I had a bout with a nasty, though fortunately not dangerous illness last year, and kind of changed my perspective on things.
You only live once.
Of course, I still live well within my means.
Its just that, if its something that you enjoy doing, and the new gear will improve the experience, and you can afford it.... GO FOR IT !

10-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We only have so much time in this world...put some of it aside to pursue your passions.
Couldn't agree more. Ever since I stopped working 2 years ago, my photography skills have improved dramatically (well, by my judgement anyway).

Sometimes we forget what life is all about, and how precious time actually is.
10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

While the older and discontinued models will still work, the new cameras bring a quantum leap in terms of performance and dare I say opens up new possibilities for creative expression such as video. The traditionalists and the dogmatic types may recoil in horror at the mention of video but with the convergence of new technology, one either tries to keeps abreast of new developments or risk being left behind.

Something like this video would not have been possible just a few years ago. There are more creative possibilities with the latest crop of cameras than ever before, which is a good thing imo.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwvYphf0Fuk&feature=player_embedded[/YT]
10-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Did you take that video, creampuff?

Just wondering, because all the signs are in Japanese (large katakana letters at the beginning of the video read out "aisuwaarudo" or "Ice World")

i'm pretty sure my canon hf100 would be able to shoot something similar in quality - at least by youtube standards! - the lens go down to f/2 and the low light performance from the sensor is pretty good. I remember shooting the Chinese New Year twilight parade this year and last year and they came out pretty well.

10-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Just read the comments on the youtube video on the youtube page.

The K-5 wasn't doing the zooming during shooting - that was achieved using post processing (in Premiere Pro).

According to the author:
QuoteQuote:
AdobeのPremiere Proでズームの効果を付けています。
My rough translation: The zoom effect was applied using Adobe Premiere Pro.
10-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Until/unless Pentax realize that some of us have big clumsy fingers, and don't wish to wade thru menu level after menu level to reach a commonly applied setting, I'll stay with my two K20D bodies. Every setting I might normally need is right there where I can see it and change it, often without taking the camera away from my eye. All the new bodies (including my KX) require me to drop the camera, press Menu and then navigate layer after lay to get to the setting I wish to change. Personally, I feel menus should be reserved for settings that I make once or rarely, not for every picture I take.

Tim
10-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
MSM
Veteran Member

One point often overlooked with upgrades is the cost of the learning curve associated with the new camera. As many have stated, time to go out and shoot is often limited. Then you add a new unfamiliar camera. Yes, many of the controls are the same-but not all of them. There are the new features and the even slight changes in the layout or menu changes that take time to learn. I mean truly learn with 'muscle memory.' You just move you fingers without looking or even thinking to make adjustments on the fly. Moving from the K10 to the Kx taught me that much. I suspect it will take me 6-12 mo to really be proficient to the level I was with my K10. Also, this doesn't even take into account setting preferences (wb, sharpness etc. for the jpeg people) and various tolerances say with acceptable ranges of ISO for various situations.

I would love to upgrade too, but the cost beyond the upfront financial is pretty steep when you think of it this way.

Just my $.02

10-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Did you take that video, creampuff?

Just wondering, because all the signs are in Japanese (large katakana letters at the beginning of the video read out "aisuwaarudo" or "Ice World")

i'm pretty sure my canon hf100 would be able to shoot something similar in quality - at least by youtube standards! - the lens go down to f/2 and the low light performance from the sensor is pretty good. I remember shooting the Chinese New Year twilight parade this year and last year and they came out pretty well.
I didn't shoot the video but the point I'm making here is we now have a generation of cameras that offer new and expanded capability that previously didn't exist before. AF is loads better, high ISO and video all add to new shooting opportunities.

I have no doubt a good video camera might be able to replicate the same video quality and the video has obviously been shot and edited with skill (time lapse sequences, panning and zoom effects, etc). The coming together of still and video images in a compact package like the K-5 or K-r offers a lot more creative options, photographer skill notwithstanding. Obviously those who think a camera is primarily for shooting still images still get to use it as such. Same for those who want more... a camera that has something for everyone.
10-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #24
Inactive Account

hi, here are my two cents.

i don't need it definitely, but i want it so much, i think it's worth spending a little on it.

part of the joy of this hobby stems from the tools as well, don't you think so?

i'd say if it is within your means, go ahead and be happy =P
10-20-2010, 02:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I have no doubt a good video camera might be able to replicate the same video quality and the video has obviously been shot and edited with skill (time lapse sequences, panning and zoom effects, etc). The coming together of still and video images in a compact package like the K-5 or K-r offers a lot more creative options, photographer skill notwithstanding. Obviously those who think a camera is primarily for shooting still images still get to use it as such. Same for those who want more... a camera that has something for everyone.
I like the idea of video on a camera, and the possibilities of shallow DOF using good lenses etc. which are almost impossible to achieve on a consumer camcorder ...

But the video on K-5 is probably too primitive for serious consideration. No support for 24p (24000/1001) or 30p (30000/1001) is a big issue for videographers.

Compare to the Canon models which encode into H.264 with a choice of framerates. And even the Canon cameras are not really useful for audio capture - there is no way of turning off AGC.

Sony seems to be the most serious re audio/photo/video convergence. I suspect it will take at least 1-2 generations for Pentax to get there.

Which is not to say the K-5 is not a great camera - for taking photos that is.
10-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmmm Need Or Want.. The answer is quite simple for me.. It's want. Aside from using my cameras for product shots of items I sell here and on ebay, I do not make any money using my cameras. That pretty much rules out Need, for me.

Do I Want a K5? Yes, I do. Will I buy one? Probably. When? After the frenzy is over, the kinks have been discovered and worked out, and they are readily available (oh, and when I have the money to pay for it ).

We can take your need vs want question a little further. Before I bought my K10d, I had a Panasonic FZ20 that I was quite happy with. Did everything I Needed it to do and even a few things I Wanted it to do. What I gained by switching to dSLR is the privilege of paying the Pentax Tax for a bag full of lenses to get me the same focal range I had with the FZ20. I don't regret that but I sure as hell didn't NEED it.

Do I Need all those expensive lenses? No. When I was using a Film SLR, I had (still have) an Olympus OM4 with a 55mm f1:1.2, a 50mm f1:1.4, a 100mm f4, a 28-70 zoom, and a 70-210 zoom. They got me everything I Needed and I even got some exercise while using them. That is, if I wasn't close enough for the lens I had with me, and I could get closer by taking a few extra steps, viola! Free Zoom!

Nope. Don't really Need any of it but I Do Want it

10-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot depends on what you shoot routinely. I found myself frustrated with the K10 when chasing around my 2 to 3 year old. Focus didn't keep up very well and I didn't feel like I could bump iso up to compensate. Truthfully, that is pretty much fixed on the K20/K7.

I will say, that getting new equipment tends to energize me to shoot more. I just want to be out there with a new lens/camera. The biggest question to me is one of affording. Either the kr or K5 will give you some image quality improvement in certain situations, but if financially it would be hard on you, then best to wait for a better time.

For professional wedding shooters, journalists, and sports shooters, there is no such thing as too high iso or too fast a lens. They probably all jumped yesterday (the five that still shoot Pentax).
10-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
k-5 = oxygen!
10-20-2010, 05:00 AM   #29
Forum Member

since i am making mainly low light shots and want to start with wedding shooting i desperately need a new camera. it will be a great jump from my k200d, especially for low light. so, yes, i need it and i want it.)
10-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
you gotta do what makes you happy...life's too short to do otherwise.
That pretty well sums it up for me but I'd add that, at my age, life is even shorter: there were a lot of empty seats at my 50th high school reunion.

I'm retired and I don't need the gear to make money but since the advent of digital opened the world of photography for me (film was so frustrating!), I'm pursuing it passionately.

I certainly appreciate that those with more experience and more able to acquire technical skills can do magnificent work with older &/or less sophisticated equipment. I, otoh, need all the help I can get.

I love the K20D but, from all accounts so far, the K-5 offers some pretty significant improvements in areas that are pretty important given my shooting style and interests. I'll figure out a way to afford it.